Rich Hill ..expectations? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rich Hill ..expectations?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: ....

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:31 pm

godallahstar wrote:
Jackie Treehorn wrote:I'd be cautious. I got sucked into the hype with Harden, Duke, Felix, and some others last year that were hyped due to "filthy stuff" and great second halves. I ended up filling my pitching staff with a bunch of those guys and got screwed. I'd think it's reasonable to expect 12 wins, 160 K's, ERA around 4, and a whip of 1.30. Anything beyond that is gravy. Take these types of guys (Anibal Sanchez, Hamels, Hill, Chuck James, etc.) in the late rounds, but go for the veteran guys in the first half of the draft.

you have to do some of the researching yourself, though.
people like chuck james or duke really aren't flossing great stuff,
people buy into their numbers or a few good string of starts.

but you really can't try and argue with Harden or Felix having "filthy stuff", they do, they're incredible.

and if you've seen rich hill's curveball, you would say the same thing,
but one pitch isn't going to do it for you in the majors. which is a big reason i'm not very high on him.

knowing what a pitcher is throwing, the quality of it, and his command, or any other issues he may come across, is very very helpful in fantasy baseball.

I didn't argue that Harden or Felix don't have filthy stuff. It doesn't matter that much to me. I'm arguing that it's not worth spending early picks on these types of guys. How many folks have wasted early picks on Felix, Harden, Prior, etc., etc., in the last few years based on the hype around their "filthy stuff"? In the second half of the draft take a chance if they're still around, but don't spend picks on them in first 10 rounds when you can get more established, reliable starters later. I think Hill falls into that category this year. Grab him near the end, but don't expect the tear he went on late last year to carry over for the whole season this year.
"How's the smut business, Jackie?"
Jackie Treehorn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pope » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:52 pm

Wasting an early pick?

I haven't seen Hill drafted before the 15th or 16th round in any of the drafts that I have been in. He is a good upside pick at that price.
pope
College Coach
College Coach

Postby godallahstar » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:55 pm

right.

and you're not going to get felix that late.
he could easily make a run for the cy young this year,
he's that good.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Willy T 4 MVP » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:58 pm

it's very very simple:

Rich Hill's wife calls out Cole Hamels's name during sex

pls give ur thoughts on my projections:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=265185
Willy T 4 MVP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:02 pm

i drafted Hill with my preset rankings in the 15th round. for some reason i wasnt able to get into my draft and my team was selected using my presets. what sucks is that i was left with a weak pitching staff. i was able to make a trade for Oswalt to be my #1 but right now Hill is arguably my #2 along with Bush, Contreras, Escobar, Snell, Hensley, and Bonser.
i was just looking for some good news that Hill will be able to go out and give me #2 type numbers, or wheather i should try and upgrade to a true #2 type pitcher which would mean giving up similar value to get that type of pitcher.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby DevilDriver » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:04 pm

I think he's overrated. He doesn't exactly have filthy stuff, as his curveball is his only great pitch. It will be interesting to see how he performs this season though, I'm expecting around 170 Ks, 4.00 ERA, and 10 wins.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby dewey finn » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:06 pm

He was drafted Round 8 of my 10 team league before guys like Felix, CC, Lackey, Kazmir.......by a self-proclaimed "fantasy expert" (he's really cocky)
dewey finn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby sixer03fan » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:39 pm

[quote="dewey finn"]He was drafted Round 8 of my 10 team league before guys like Felix, CC, Lackey, Kazmir.......by a self-proclaimed "fantasy expert" (he's really cocky)[/quote]

whoa i wish i played in your league...

back to the topic though..

13 wins, 180 K's, 3.9 era, 1.3 WHIP
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:43 pm

dewey finn wrote:He was drafted Round 8 of my 10 team league before guys like Felix, CC, Lackey, Kazmir.......by a self-proclaimed "fantasy expert" (he's really cocky)

More like 'fantasy idiot"...
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dmville » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:39 pm

Think he blows up by the ASB. When everyone sees him the second time around, they'll be all over him I think. He has a deadstraight fastball w no movement. I'm no pro hitter, but I gotta think it'll be pretty easy to pick up his release, maybe even by the first time through the league since they've all seen video of him by now.

He will get some highlight K's, but he'll also be on the other end of some highlight HR's.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers