Anyone picking up Mets/Cards for sunday? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone picking up Mets/Cards for sunday?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:48 pm

"owned" drafts usually fall into weak [and/or ] shallow leagues.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Sal the Barber » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:58 pm

FWIW, I am spot starting LoDuca tonight. I plan to pickup 10 at bats just at the catcher position this week, thanks to the eight day week.
Sal the Barber
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fezzik » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:37 pm

I only play in H2H leagues with weekly lineup changes in order to avoid people taking advantage of spot starting...it happened too many times in the past to me...they will literally draft nothing but hitters for the first 12-13 rounds...not a single pitcher. So his offense will be stacked. Then he spot starts 3-5 starters EACH day of the week...he will end up winning Wins and K's every time and losing the rest of the pitching cats...but his offense will dominate, winning at least 4 cats each week. It's not cheating, but to me it's a lame strategy that goes against how fantasy baseball should be played. With offensive spot starts, I don't see it being as big of an issue. And like other people have said, your team configuration and league settings would have to be just right in order for it to be beneficial.

With Roto you can go with daily changes and not have these problems.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby eftda » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:46 pm

Guess i was right about Alou. I also picked up LoDuca and Eckstien in my other leagues. ;-)
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sal the Barber » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:06 pm

Picked up LoDuca, Eckstein, and Shawn Green. Exposed Laird, Scot Shields, and Wilson Betemit. No one claimed them within two hours, so they are all back with me.

Spot starters tonight went 7-13, 4 rbi, 2 runs.
Sal the Barber
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:07 am

byfrcp wrote:There is this other strategy, it's called owning your draft and having 21 great players that if dropped someone would pick up. You should try it, it works quite well.

Once you get larger than 12 teams, with reasonably sized rosters, and quality owners, this is generally not a possibility. You'll find that come Pick 280+, you're looking at upside, or category fillers, or random puzzle pieces. If you're playing in a league full of quality owners, 'owning' a draft becomes pretty much an impossibility. I am in four leagues this year, of varying size and formats (both scoring and roto/h2h), and I'd say I 'owned' 1, which happenes to be the most shallow as well as with the most inexperiences/least serious fantasy players. Any league of depth and/or quality, I find myself in the same boat as most of the other teams in the league, and I consider myself a rather strong fantasy owner.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby byfrcp » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:47 am

I'm in a competitive 12 team league with 23 spots so 276 spots. I can confidently say that 21 of my 23 players, if dropped, would be claimed, I use 2 MR as well as part of my strategy that I doubt anyone would pick up.

What kind of waiver time is your league using? Your dropping guy A and picking him back up the next day? That isn't what a waiver is...
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:53 am

byfrcp wrote:I'm in a competitive 12 team league with 23 spots so 276 spots. I can confidently say that 21 of my 23 players, if dropped, would be claimed, I use 2 MR as well as part of my strategy that I doubt anyone would pick up.

What kind of waiver time is your league using? Your dropping guy A and picking him back up the next day? That isn't what a waiver is...

Like I said, once you get larger than 12 teams, the dynamics change. I think 2 day, with 3 being the max, waiver period is reasonable. Otherwise your priority is useless.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:11 am

fezzik wrote:I only play in H2H leagues with weekly lineup changes in order to avoid people taking advantage of spot starting...it happened too many times in the past to me...they will literally draft nothing but hitters for the first 12-13 rounds...not a single pitcher. So his offense will be stacked. Then he spot starts 3-5 starters EACH day of the week...he will end up winning Wins and K's every time and losing the rest of the pitching cats...but his offense will dominate, winning at least 4 cats each week.

sounds like an extremely smart manager to me :-°

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:19 am

bigh0rt wrote:
byfrcp wrote:I'm in a competitive 12 team league with 23 spots so 276 spots. I can confidently say that 21 of my 23 players, if dropped, would be claimed, I use 2 MR as well as part of my strategy that I doubt anyone would pick up.

Like I said, once you get larger than 12 teams, the dynamics change. I think 2 day, with 3 being the max, waiver period is reasonable. Otherwise your priority is useless.

Interesting. Why?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers