Anyone picking up Mets/Cards for sunday? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone picking up Mets/Cards for sunday?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby eftda » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:45 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
tgalv wrote:you're making up a bunch of phantom circumstances to discredit the strategy.

Which of the circumstances were not real circumstances? A lot of leagues have a max moves limit. 99% of leagues use a WW with waiver priorities. In every league there is a chance that whoever you drop will be picked up by someone else. None of these are "phantom circumstances," you just can't admit there is a reason someone wouldn't do this. Frankly I don't care. I just gave the reasons why I wouldn't do this and you continue to ignore them, so when you can come up with a real reason as to how those circumstances don't apply, instead of just calling them "phantom circumstances" without an explanation then maybe you'll be worth wasting my time on.

people do churn pitchers if they think it will benefit them.

And most don't...why is that? It usually doesn't benefit you in the long run.

It benifits me more than 50% of the time. I will find the good matchups for that week. If my team blows era/whip then I will pick up a BUNCH of starters for the weekend. I found that the key to H2H is to have some VERY solid players and 2-4 medocre players that you can drop at anytime. This will allow your team to pick up a hot bat for that week or to pick up someone good off the Waiver Wire. This startegy worked great last year. It allowed me to pick up guys like Hammy Ramirez, Saito, and Duffy. You have to take risks to win H2H.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:04 am

Using it as a strategy throughout the whole season is another thing, and I can understand doing what you said. What I was saying what I wouldn't do is just grabbing a bunch of guys on an arbitrary day with only a few games (or 1). If your league situation allows you to do so and your team is built to do so, then yeah I can see how doing what you said would be an effective strategy.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby byfrcp » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:10 am

There is this other strategy, it's called owning your draft and having 21 great players that if dropped someone would pick up. You should try it, it works quite well.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby chipper » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:28 am

byfrcp wrote:There is this other strategy, it's called owning your draft and having 21 great players that if dropped someone would pick up. You should try it, it works quite well.

LMAO!

Tell 'em PeeWee
Last edited by chipper on Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sportsaddict » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:30 am

byfrcp wrote:There is this other strategy, it's called owning your draft and having 21 great players that if dropped someone would pick up. You should try it, it works quite well.

I'm not a fan of the strategy. Too risky for me :-b
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Niffoc4 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:42 am

Seems like a decent strategy to me as long as there is no games played limit... if there is a games played limit, then you are filling in your games played with lower quality players...
So yeah, h2h people should think about it... but I can't see it helping much in roto
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby slomo007 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:55 am

I've actually used this strategy in the past. The games played limit almost never really affects you. Reason being, how many players actually play 162 games in a season? Hardly any. If you have a 162 game limit, then you can count on spot-starting each position at least a few times during the season as most likely your players won't play 162 games. Meaning, on average, 3 spot starts per position per season = 3x9=27 extra games. To me that makes it worthwhile...granted you have to have an expendable roster spot but that's pretty much the only requirement.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby eftda » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:54 am

In my experience, "owned" drafts usually fall into weak leagues.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sal the Barber » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Spot starting position players can definitely help in four categories, and possibly hurt in one. Streaming starting pitchers can definitely help in two categories, and possibly hurt in two. The no-brainer time to spot start position players is on Monday and Thursday, and day games after night games for your starting catcher and older players. The slight detriment is that the earlier in the week it is, the less you know which category you should focus on.

Streaming starting pitchers on the weekend can absolutely be the correct decision. By then the stats are advanced enough to where you know where you need help.

Going with the poker analogy, running out spot starters against Chris Carpenter definitely creates a hyper-aggressive image.
Sal the Barber
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby deutschland » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:45 pm

In a no games limit league I often try to spot start when I can, assuming I don't have to drop anyone that I deem expendable. I ran some stats from an ESPN team I managed last year in which I spot started hitters quite a bit. I added up all the stats for players that accrued less than 25 at bats for me last year. The totals:

283 AB
30 Runs
7 HR
40 RBI
4 SB
.290 AVG.

Those may not look like great stats compared to your average starter, but getting an extra 30 Runs and 40 RBIs for "free" can be pretty valuable. I've certainly finished in 2nd place before by 1 HR. Batting average was also a lot higher than I expected so in this example my team benefited in all 5 categories by spot starting hitters.
deutschland
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers