Anyone picking up Mets/Cards for sunday? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone picking up Mets/Cards for sunday?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tgalv » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:26 pm

chipper wrote:
tgalv wrote:sounds like a good idea with no games limit and some roster flexibility B-)



This guy never said he had a "no games limit".

then why would he ever think of doing it?
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 696
Joined: 12 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: MA

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:29 pm

tgalv wrote:i don't even understand the counter-argument.

And I don't understand what this has to do with anything:
do you guys start pujols and leave the rest of the offense blank so your batting average is sweet?

What? So you're saying that not wanting to waste a move (if there's limited moves), possibly waste a waiver priority, or possibly have the guy I dropped picked up by someone else just so I can get 3 extra at bats from WW fodder is the same as benching a whole team so you can win BA? They have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Do you guys churn pitchers too? That's the exact same thing, how come everybody doesn't do that?
Image
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11485
Joined: 7 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Beantown

Postby joshyboy72 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:58 pm

I picked up Duncan but I doubt he will do much. I just wanted to have somebody to root for ;-D
joshyboy72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Matchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 621
Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby tgalv » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:04 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
tgalv wrote:i don't even understand the counter-argument.

And I don't understand what this has to do with anything:
do you guys start pujols and leave the rest of the offense blank so your batting average is sweet?

What? So you're saying that not wanting to waste a move (if there's limited moves), possibly waste a waiver priority, or possibly have the guy I dropped picked up by someone else just so I can get 3 extra at bats from WW fodder is the same as benching a whole team so you can win BA? They have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Do you guys churn pitchers too? That's the exact same thing, how come everybody doesn't do that?


you're making up a bunch of phantom circumstances to discredit the strategy. if there were a moves limit and he was wasting waiver priority on yadier molina, he wouldn't be doing it.

people do churn pitchers if they think it will benefit them.

not everyone plays the same rules and way as whatever league you play does.
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 696
Joined: 12 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: MA

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:31 pm

tgalv wrote:you're making up a bunch of phantom circumstances to discredit the strategy.

Which of the circumstances were not real circumstances? A lot of leagues have a max moves limit. 99% of leagues use a WW with waiver priorities. In every league there is a chance that whoever you drop will be picked up by someone else. None of these are "phantom circumstances," you just can't admit there is a reason someone wouldn't do this. Frankly I don't care. I just gave the reasons why I wouldn't do this and you continue to ignore them, so when you can come up with a real reason as to how those circumstances don't apply, instead of just calling them "phantom circumstances" without an explanation then maybe you'll be worth wasting my time on.

people do churn pitchers if they think it will benefit them.

And most don't...why is that? It usually doesn't benefit you in the long run.
Image
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11485
Joined: 7 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Beantown

Postby Sid Bream's Slide » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:44 pm

tgalv wrote:i don't even understand the counter-argument. do you guys start pujols and leave the rest of the offense blank so your batting average is sweet?


Grabbing WW guys for spot starts will definitely lower your average, but is that decrease in average worth the nominal number of home runs, runs, rbi, and stolen bases that they'll get?

If played right, looking at matchups and splits, it could be a viable strategy for leagues without a maximum number of roster moves and games played. Otherwise, I don't think it's a good idea.

I don't understand how not agreeing with this strategy parallels wanting to start only Pujols to win BA. By NOT spot starting, you're NOT having a negative affect on your stats...
Sid Bream's Slide
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Matchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 1274
Joined: 12 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tgalv » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:28 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
tgalv wrote:you're making up a bunch of phantom circumstances to discredit the strategy.

Which of the circumstances were not real circumstances? A lot of leagues have a max moves limit. 99% of leagues use a WW with waiver priorities. In every league there is a chance that whoever you drop will be picked up by someone else. None of these are "phantom circumstances," you just can't admit there is a reason someone wouldn't do this. Frankly I don't care. I just gave the reasons why I wouldn't do this and you continue to ignore them, so when you can come up with a real reason as to how those circumstances don't apply, instead of just calling them "phantom circumstances" without an explanation then maybe you'll be worth wasting my time on.

people do churn pitchers if they think it will benefit them.

And most don't...why is that? It usually doesn't benefit you in the long run.


i guess this is pointless to argue if you cannot see the benefit of adding stats in 4 categories at the possible expense of 1 category which you might lose anyways.
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 696
Joined: 12 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: MA

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:48 pm

tgalv wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
tgalv wrote:you're making up a bunch of phantom circumstances to discredit the strategy.

Which of the circumstances were not real circumstances? A lot of leagues have a max moves limit. 99% of leagues use a WW with waiver priorities. In every league there is a chance that whoever you drop will be picked up by someone else. None of these are "phantom circumstances," you just can't admit there is a reason someone wouldn't do this. Frankly I don't care. I just gave the reasons why I wouldn't do this and you continue to ignore them, so when you can come up with a real reason as to how those circumstances don't apply, instead of just calling them "phantom circumstances" without an explanation then maybe you'll be worth wasting my time on.

people do churn pitchers if they think it will benefit them.

And most don't...why is that? It usually doesn't benefit you in the long run.


i guess this is pointless to argue if you cannot see the benefit of adding stats in 4 categories at the possible expense of 1 category which you might lose anyways.

And it's pointless for you to continue to post that if you cannot support your claims of how what I said are "phantom circumstances." I can see the benefit of adding to 4 categories while only risking 1, but I can also see that chances are you won't be adding to those categories and in the mean time you are risking other things (see: the reasons I gave that you wrote off as "phantom circumstances" without saying how they are so, because they aren't).
Image
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11485
Joined: 7 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Beantown

Postby tgalv » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:52 pm

yeah we get it. under certain circumstances this IS NOT A GOOD STRATEGY. wow a major revelation. thank you captain obvious.
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 696
Joined: 12 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: MA

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:01 pm

tgalv wrote:yeah we get it. under certain circumstances this IS NOT A GOOD STRATEGY. wow a major revelation. thank you captain obvious.

What is your problem? This thread is to discuss the strategy, so I'm explaining why I wouldn't use it. If it's so obvious that it's not a good strategy under certain circumstances, then why did it take you so long to understand that? If it's so obvious, why did you argue against it so long? You can't argue your point so you revert to name calling. Give me a break. :-°
Image
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11485
Joined: 7 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Beantown

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: annagz4, HotRephoantee, joiingds and 11 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Sunday, Apr. 20
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Cleveland
(1:05 pm)
LA Angels at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Seattle at Miami
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Atlanta at NY Mets
(1:10 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(1:35 pm)
St. Louis at Washington
(1:35 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(1:40 pm)
indoors
Minnesota at Kansas City
(2:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Chi White Sox at Texas
(3:05 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Arizona at LA Dodgers
(4:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(4:10 pm)
Baltimore at Boston
(7:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact