What will TB do with Gomes/Cantu? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What will TB do with Gomes/Cantu?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:39 pm

Ender wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:
Ender wrote:
Surfs up wrote:I think Gomes gets sent down and Norton gets the DH job.

Which once again would prove how dumb the people making decisions in that organization are. Cantu needs to be demoted or traded, his defense is terrible and he's not as good a hitter as Gomes. Norton is a backup/platoon guy and nothing more. Gomes should be the fulltime DH and wouldn't surprise me if he led the team in OPS.

Sorry Ender, but in no way should Gomes be anywhere near the MLB lineup for the Drays. There are several other guys in the organization that could DH for the Drays and have a much better year then Gomes would this year. Cantu is actually a better hitter then Gomes, but Gomes is a huge fan favorite for his extreme work ethic and hustle. It is a shame his talent does not match his work ethic but that is just the way it is.

I'm guessing you are letting his play while injured last year influence that opinion. Gomes is capable of an .850-.900 OPS and Cantu simply is not. Guys like Gomes who K a lot always get a bad rap and people never seem to realize how valuable they are.

No I am putting my opinion forward on watching alot of Gomes the last 3 years. I have seen him play ever since 2004 when he was at Durham, and he just does not have the ability to hit at a decent level at the big league level. I assume you are basing yours on his superb play in April of last year, but please don't let that fool you. He is not a good hitter. He has solid power, a great work ethic, and always has a smile on his face, but those three things will not make him a solid player in the bigs. He has had an all or nothing swing ever since I first saw him play in 2004 at Durham. That might could work on some teams, but not a team like Tampa that struggles to score runs so much. The guy that can hit .280 to .300 is much more valuable to the Drays and most teams then a guy like Gomes who can hit 35 homers but will also hit .240.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TMM » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:33 pm

stumpak wrote:Sidebar to this: I read speculation that Dukes might make the opening day roster. Any possibility of this?

Its better than that. He is going to start in CF, at least until Baldelli is healthy to play the field. I just read it on a post in the NFBC site.
TMM
T-Ball Trainer

Postby activechamp2006 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:41 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Ender wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:
Ender wrote:
Surfs up wrote:I think Gomes gets sent down and Norton gets the DH job.

Which once again would prove how dumb the people making decisions in that organization are. Cantu needs to be demoted or traded, his defense is terrible and he's not as good a hitter as Gomes. Norton is a backup/platoon guy and nothing more. Gomes should be the fulltime DH and wouldn't surprise me if he led the team in OPS.

Sorry Ender, but in no way should Gomes be anywhere near the MLB lineup for the Drays. There are several other guys in the organization that could DH for the Drays and have a much better year then Gomes would this year. Cantu is actually a better hitter then Gomes, but Gomes is a huge fan favorite for his extreme work ethic and hustle. It is a shame his talent does not match his work ethic but that is just the way it is.

I'm guessing you are letting his play while injured last year influence that opinion. Gomes is capable of an .850-.900 OPS and Cantu simply is not. Guys like Gomes who K a lot always get a bad rap and people never seem to realize how valuable they are.

No I am putting my opinion forward on watching alot of Gomes the last 3 years. I have seen him play ever since 2004 when he was at Durham, and he just does not have the ability to hit at a decent level at the big league level. I assume you are basing yours on his superb play in April of last year, but please don't let that fool you. He is not a good hitter. He has solid power, a great work ethic, and always has a smile on his face, but those three things will not make him a solid player in the bigs. He has had an all or nothing swing ever since I first saw him play in 2004 at Durham. That might could work on some teams, but not a team like Tampa that struggles to score runs so much. The guy that can hit .280 to .300 is much more valuable to the Drays and most teams then a guy like Gomes who can hit 35 homers but will also hit .240.

I don't think it's fair to consider Gomes as a 240 hitter. In 2005 he had a solid year and hit 281 with 21 dingers. While only playing in 101 games. Last season he really struggled, but if you remember he started off as one of the hottest hitters in the league. The kid proved he can hit. He hit 11 home runs in the first month of the season. I don't see why he can't hit 34 home runs with a 275 BA this season. I really think this is on the low end of what he's capable of.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby godallahstar » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:57 pm

no, it's really not fair to write Gomes off like that.
but if you're absolutely sure that he is a .240 hitter,
that's fine. though even with a .240 avg,
he could have a .340 OBP
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:40 pm

activechamp2006 wrote:
I don't think it's fair to consider Gomes as a 240 hitter. In 2005 he had a solid year and hit 281 with 21 dingers. While only playing in 101 games. Last season he really struggled, but if you remember he started off as one of the hottest hitters in the league. The kid proved he can hit. He hit 11 home runs in the first month of the season. I don't see why he can't hit 34 home runs with a 275 BA this season. I really think this is on the low end of what he's capable of.

I guess we just have a huge difference of opinion, but after seeing him play many, many games, I don't think his high end would be .275 with 34 homers in Double A all year long. :-°
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:13 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
activechamp2006 wrote:

I guess we just have a huge difference of opinion, but after seeing him play many, many games, I don't think his high end would be .275 with 34 homers in Double A all year long. :-°

/shrug, he makes contact as well as Howard does and has power for 35 HR's, don't see what the problem is. But yeah I'm sure a light hitting .280 hitter would be much better than a .800+ OPS guy.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers