What will TB do with Gomes/Cantu? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What will TB do with Gomes/Cantu?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GradysBaby133 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:54 am

I think Cantu is getting sent down, Upton will be full time 2B, and Gomes will split time at DH with Greg Norton, although they Rays have nothing to play for and they should trade Gomes or let him play the whole year and devolp, because he does have 35-40 HR power.
GradysBaby133
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby godallahstar » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:28 am

KOSTAS wrote:Well Cantu is going to be in the minors or traded, Iwamura plays 3B and Upton will not be able to handle 2B defense long term. Who is going to play 2B???

says who?
to me it's kind of a toss-up between gomes and cantu,
neither had a great spring.
but while gomes is a fan favorite, showed up in great shape and has an awesome work ethic, cantu is probably the safer bet to hit in the majors. which isn't saying much. though i do actually like both of them and think they could be fairly productive if healthy and given the AB.

Iwamura plays 3rd, but could play 2nd if Upton couldn't handle it.
I wouldn't rule out Upton playing third and Iwamura moving to 2nd if there was an issue, I think they're pretty committed to getting Upton as much time as they can. It's a big year for him, they've messed with him enough, he deserves his shot and I believe they will give it to him.

BillyHallDisciple wrote:I don't get it, is Cantu really that bad? I very rarely see the D-Rays play, but he was great two years ago and last year had an off-year due to a broken foot. He's only 25. Is he really that awful??? I would think a healthy Cantu might be able to put up ok numbers. What's so bad about him that the D-Rays are treating him like that? They seem like an idiot organization anyways...

no, cantu isn't bad. he gets a bad wrap,
he's a fairly reliable hitter if he's healthy.
which was a huge issue last year, and to me explains a lot of what went wrong. he is however, not a good defensive option at 2nd base. he should probably be playing 1st or DH, and his bat may not be good enough to take that role fulltime, the ray's have some great hitters.

Havok1517 wrote:I doubt any of them will get flat out cut. They'll likely be traded. Billy Beane has been known to like Gomes and now has a 1B opening. Cantu could fit nicely on the Mets or the Braves if the Johnson experiment fails.

right, i don't think so either.
i think people are using the wrong words unintentionally,
one of them will be sent to the minors, i believe they both have options left. maybe more for cantu than gomes.
i wouldn't be surprised if cantu is traded, but i'm not sure how much interest there is in Gomes. The A's traded for Jason Stokes, not too unlike Gomes in my mind.

I don't think a team would trade for Cantu to play him at 2nd,
he really shouldn't be playing there.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Surfs up » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:26 am

I think Gomes gets sent down and Norton gets the DH job.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 195)

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:31 am

Surfs up wrote:I think Gomes gets sent down and Norton gets the DH job.

Which once again would prove how dumb the people making decisions in that organization are. Cantu needs to be demoted or traded, his defense is terrible and he's not as good a hitter as Gomes. Norton is a backup/platoon guy and nothing more. Gomes should be the fulltime DH and wouldn't surprise me if he led the team in OPS.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby gatorgreenwell » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:17 am

"Just as the Rays seemed set to pick Jonny Gomes over Jorge Cantu for the final roster spot, there was concern Friday night over a possible right knee injury to first baseman/DH Greg Norton, who came out of Friday's game in Sarasota early and later left Tropicana Field hobbling. Without Norton, the only alternative to Ty Wigginton at first base, the Rays might opt to keep Cantu and ask him to try first or seek to bring back Carlos Pena, who earlier Friday was reassigned to minor-league camp."

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/03/31/Rays/ ... _pit.shtml
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dclark0699 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:42 am

godallahstar wrote:Iwamura plays 3rd, but could play 2nd if Upton couldn't handle it. I wouldn't rule out Upton playing third and Iwamura moving to 2nd if there was an issue, I think they're pretty committed to getting Upton as much time as they can. It's a big year for him, they've messed with him enough, he deserves his shot and I believe they will give it to him.

To me this doesn't make sense. Upton couldn't handle shortstop.
As a roaming infielder myself who has at times played every infield position, 2nd base is the easiest place to play. He doesn't have to field the ball cleanly to get outs at first. The throw is only about 50 feet.

To move him to third if he struggles doesn't make any sense. 3rd would be much harder than 2nd. The ball comes so much faster and ANY misstep usually results in a man on first.

Just my opinion.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:00 am

Ender wrote:

Which once again would prove how dumb the people making decisions in that organization are. Cantu needs to be demoted or traded, his defense is terrible and he's not as good a hitter as Gomes. Norton is a backup/platoon guy and nothing more. Gomes should be the fulltime DH and wouldn't surprise me if he led the team in OPS.

Sorry Ender, but in no way should Gomes be anywhere near the MLB lineup for the Drays. There are several other guys in the organization that could DH for the Drays and have a much better year then Gomes would this year. Cantu is actually a better hitter then Gomes, but Gomes is a huge fan favorite for his extreme work ethic and hustle. It is a shame his talent does not match his work ethic but that is just the way it is.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:06 am

raiders_umpire wrote:
Ender wrote:

Sorry Ender, but in no way should Gomes be anywhere near the MLB lineup for the Drays. There are several other guys in the organization that could DH for the Drays and have a much better year then Gomes would this year. Cantu is actually a better hitter then Gomes, but Gomes is a huge fan favorite for his extreme work ethic and hustle. It is a shame his talent does not match his work ethic but that is just the way it is.

I'm guessing you are letting his play while injured last year influence that opinion. Gomes is capable of an .850-.900 OPS and Cantu simply is not. Guys like Gomes who K a lot always get a bad rap and people never seem to realize how valuable they are.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby stumpak » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:40 am

Sidebar to this: I read speculation that Dukes might make the opening day roster. Any possibility of this?
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cloverhurstdawg » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:04 pm

cloverhurstdawg
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers