Running an Auction - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Running an Auction

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Running an Auction

Postby Mr Main Event » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:17 pm

:-B

Does anyone have advice about how to set up a fantasy baseball auction league?

I'm not exactly sure about how to run the nuts & bolts of an auction draft. Does everyone get to bid on every player? If so, how is this done? It seems like it would take a long time.

Are there any auction-based web sites that you'd recommend?

Thanks!

MME
Mr Main Event

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby tool069c » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:23 pm

They do take a long time, last year my auction was about 6 hours long...In mine we just set and order 1-12...for the 12 teams in the league, and when your up you just yell out a player and a $ value. Then the other 11 teasm and yourself just yell out what they would pay. Almost like a real auction. Once it gets down to the wire, someone just jumps in and says going once, twice, sold...Fairly simple and works well for us.
tool069c
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:35 pm

Hehe, I was in your shoes about 4 months ago. There are tons of experienced auction drafters here!

I dug up some old auction help links, here you go:

My Original How to Auction Post :-B
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22886&highlight=auction

Time Saving Tips and More
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26090&highlight=auction

Auction Strategies
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25175&highlight=auction

The Cafe Just Had its First Auction Too!
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=68

Good Luck ;-D.
Last edited by shortsavage on Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Reply to setting up an auction.

Postby MrT » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:57 pm

We have 12 teams with a $260 payroll. We purchase 23 players 9 pitchers, 5 of, 2 catchers, 1 1b, 1 3b, 1 1b or 3b, 1 2b, 1 ss, 1 2b or ss, and 1 extra swing player. We bid in $1.00 increments.
We randomly select teams by using Street and Smith Roosters (adding players that are not listed. We read and have the right to bid on every player in baseball this way. If at the end of all teams being read an owner has not filled his rooster, everyone writes his chooses on a secret piece of paper and buys those players (not already purchased) paying $20.00 for the first, $40.00 forthe second, $60.00 for the third and so on. if two teams want the same player they have a mini auction.

We use All Star Stats to monitor everything. It cost each team about $150.00 to $175.00 to use the service but they do a great job. See http://www.allstarstats.com.

We also have the right to reserve and replace injured players. For example, if outfielder Jones gets hurt (on Disabled list) you can resrve Jones for $10.00, pick outfielder Smith for $10.00. When Jones is healthy and activated you can drop smith $10.00 , and activiate Jones $10.00 (total of $40.00. If you only wanted to drop Jones and picj smith it would be $10.00 plus $10.00. We also can trade the Jones spot or trade only the smith(the reserved player). For example if you are reserving AROD and you have picked rookie sensation Berroa you can trade Berroa and a average starter for a terrible ss or 2b and a decent starter or reliever. When you pick up a new player he has a pricetag for the purposes of a possible keeper of the greater of $10.00 or the price he was drafted at (where someone who is drafted for $1.00 is out for the year and you want to pick him up for next year).

We have a 8 categoey scoring system: Avg, sb, rbi and hr and wins, saves, era and whip.

Over time we have perfected our rules to counter almost every conceivable loophole and gimmick, such as stacking injured players, duration and priciing of keepers, no trader keeper rules. For example, we can only keep a player for up to 2 years after the initial year he is purchaed. If you buy someone for $1.00 you can keep him at the position where he was drafted or his new position for $1.00. if you want to keep him for the third year you must add$5.00 to the price at the beginning of the 2nd year.

If you trade a player during the season (not in the off season) you cannot keep him. This prevents lopsided trades which could throw off the balance of the league.

We also have a $25.00 free agent pick that can be utilized after May 1st. Exp. if you want to dump bad pitcher jones, for $25.00 you can pick hot rookie.

If at the auction you pick an injured player, (someone who is starting the season on the D.L.) you can not reserve or replace him until May 1st

There are other fine points I did not mention. Hopes this helps. I have been involved in auctions and drafts. There is no comparison. An auction can be much more exciting, especially at the end when some teams have substantial remaining funds and others are nearly out of cash

If you have any questions, email me at mailto:mrt19167@yahoo.com.
MrT

Postby DieHardCubbie » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:58 pm

read thru shorts post...there is alot of good infomation in them.... :-)

after that....If you have any specific questions...feel free to ask them....
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:27 pm

We do our Auction Online using AOL IM chatroom. We have 16 teams and like 320+ guys are auctioned. $260 cap. It took us 6 hours last year -- took a couple breaks -- but it is rather exhausting.

I'd break it into 2 different nights -- which for us is kinda difficult trying to get 16 guys together on just one night.

Get mature owners. If you have people that aren't, it'll turn into one big mess, won't work and will be one of the worst experiences you'll ever have. Either have an owner auctioneer or try and get a non-owner to auctioneer (you'll probably have to pay someone) and have another person tracking $$ per teams (which about every owner in our league does this on their own so it's no problem).

Another option is to do a slow live auction.....which I'm not a fan, but know people that do them.

Postby mikcou » Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:04 pm

for our auction we are using a message board...
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Sox FANatic001 » Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:11 pm

Anonymous wrote:We do our Auction Online using AOL IM chatroom. We have 16 teams and like 320+ guys are auctioned. $260 cap. It took us 6 hours last year -- took a couple breaks -- but it is rather exhausting.

I'd break it into 2 different nights -- which for us is kinda difficult trying to get 16 guys together on just one night.

Get mature owners. If you have people that aren't, it'll turn into one big mess, won't work and will be one of the worst experiences you'll ever have. Either have an owner auctioneer or try and get a non-owner to auctioneer (you'll probably have to pay someone) and have another person tracking $$ per teams (which about every owner in our league does this on their own so it's no problem).

Another option is to do a slow live auction.....which I'm not a fan, but know people that do them.

so if i have a bunch of young friends, dont try and stick with a draft?
Lets Go patsox!

yay! sox win!!!
bambino-1918-2004
Rest In Pain ;-)

Big David Ortiz Rocks my socks off
him and pokey
Sox FANatic001
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:22 pm

Sox FANatic001 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:We do our Auction Online using AOL IM chatroom. We have 16 teams and like 320+ guys are auctioned. $260 cap. It took us 6 hours last year -- took a couple breaks -- but it is rather exhausting.

so if i have a bunch of young friends, dont try and stick with a draft?

If you're dealing with the average Yahoo fantasy player, I'd stick with a draft.

You can do anything if it's well organized and hand pick owners that can handle doing an auction.....Some people just can't. They aren't patient and expect everything their way. That's fine and well....but I'm not mommy nor daddy.

Return to Baseball Leftovers