Closer Watch - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Closer Watch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thetongueofire » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:45 pm

bjm97 wrote:Whats the latest on Julio in Balt- when will he begin serving his suspension and who will take over temporary closer duties?

rotoworld wrote:MLB suspended RHP Jorge Julio for four games for throwing a pitch that nearly hit Minnesota's Augie Ojeda in the head.
Julio has appealed, but he'll definitely want to serve the suspension before season's end. B.J. Ryan will take over closing duties while he's out.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:39 am

warrick95 wrote:DHC...Esteban Yan looks like the interim closer in DET now after a save tonight.

Thanks Warrick.... ;-D

Running a ocuple of days behind.... :-/
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby JourneyingBraves » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:38 am

Couple of Questions for Next Year..

For the Atlanta braves, John Smoltz is going to become a Starting Pitcher next year, who should i draft in his place? Who do you guys believe is the braves closer for next year?

For The Chicago WhiteSox, Is Takatsu closing next for them, He has been pretty solid while holding the closing duties. 17 - 18 in save opps. Any question of him not closing next year?

For Sanfransico Giants. Will Hermanson be closing next year? He's been solid and i think they've found a good closer at a decent price instead of going out and finding one.
JourneyingBraves
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Chuckles » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:23 pm

JourneyingBraves wrote:Couple of Questions for Next Year..

For the Atlanta braves, John Smoltz is going to become a Starting Pitcher next year, who should i draft in his place? Who do you guys believe is the braves closer for next year?

For The Chicago WhiteSox, Is Takatsu closing next for them, He has been pretty solid while holding the closing duties. 17 - 18 in save opps. Any question of him not closing next year?

For San Fransico Giants. Will Hermanson be closing next year? He's been solid and i think they've found a good closer at a decent price instead of going out and finding one.

To answer your first question about the Braves, I'm not sure. Reitsma has done a nice job as a setup guy, so they might go with him. For the Giants and White Sox, I'd say they go with Hermanson and Takatsu, respectively. Both those guys have been solid as well. Just a guess on my part though.

What's the CUBS closer situation like? Committee?
Chuckles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby warrick95 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:36 pm

JourneyingBraves wrote:Couple of Questions for Next Year..

For Sanfransico Giants. Will Hermanson be closing next year? He's been solid and i think they've found a good closer at a decent price instead of going out and finding one.

ATL...I really don't know if he'll start. They say he will, but it's no secret that they'd probably prefer to have him closing. Knowing Smoltz as a person, it's completely possible that he takes one for the team. If not, Reitsma, Capellan, Cruz, or more likely, they get somebody to do it. Rotoworld likes Cappy and Cruz to close more than Reitsma, but expects Smoltz to still be closing next season.

CWS...Takatsu's slowing down, but expect him to continue closing (as much as I hate that) and have Marte setting up as the best lefty out of the pen.. Should Takatsu fail, Marte will likely step into the role.

SF...Hermanson is a free agent. This is going to be interesting. I don't really see them relying on him to close. Nen could close if he's FINALLY healthy, but that's probably a longshot. His career is probably over. Inside the organization, they have Aardsma and M. Valdez. The former is an RP prospect, the latter worked out of the pen when called up and may have stuff more fit to close. If not these two, they could very likely sign a big name. I don't see Hermanson retaining the job.

Cubs...I expect Hawkins to return to setting up and them signing a big name. Benitez or Percival anybody? If they don't sign anybody, it'll be Hawk...Farnsworth has dug too much of a hole for himself this season. No CBC.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AKhomebrewer » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:24 pm

My two coins:

ATL - Smoltz
CWS - Takatsu
SF - They'll go get a 'name.' If not, I bet Hermanson keeps the gig because Alou seems to really like the dude.
Cubs - They'll get Benitez. If not (and nobody else), camp will open with a competition between Borowski and Hawkins. But I agree with Warrick that it won't be CBC. Dusty will pick one by opening day.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 6)

Postby LBJackal » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:47 pm

AKhomebrewer wrote:SF - They'll go get a 'name.' If not, I bet Hermanson keeps the gig because Alou seems to really like the dude.

Did you see the games he pitched against the Astros and Dodgers (both within the final 2 weeks of the season)? The two teams within their striking distance, and he blows both saves, big time, to the tune of 8 ER in 1 IP.

He isn't closer material. If they stick with him they're dumb beyond belief. And they better find some protection for Bonds... it just seems like they don't WANT to be successful in the playoffs, or even get to the playoffs for that matter.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:56 pm

AKhomebrewer wrote:Cubs - They'll get Benitez. If not (and nobody else), camp will open with a competition between Borowski and Hawkins. But I agree with Warrick that it won't be CBC. Dusty will pick one by opening day.
I bet they get Benitez too. Hawkins has shown in Minnesota and Chicago that he isn't a closer. I personally never could figure out what Chicago has against Borowski other than he can't blow anyone away, he got the job done.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby warrick95 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:40 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
AKhomebrewer wrote:Cubs - They'll get Benitez. If not (and nobody else), camp will open with a competition between Borowski and Hawkins. But I agree with Warrick that it won't be CBC. Dusty will pick one by opening day.
I bet they get Benitez too. Hawkins has shown in Minnesota and Chicago that he isn't a closer. I personally never could figure out what Chicago has against Borowski other than he can't blow anyone away, he got the job done.

JoeBlow was horrible this season, but it was because of a rotator cuff injury. He's also dug himself a huge hole that he likely won't get out of, even though he'll probably be capable of closing.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:15 am

This thread was very good to us this year :-) . Big Thanks to DHC for keeping it up to date and thanks to everyone who added info and discussion to it ;-D . We'll have a new one up once the new closers start facing off for the job in spring training. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers