Closer Watch - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Closer Watch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby grammysboy » Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:46 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:
MLB.com wrote:Arthur Rhodes, LHP

Dec. 19 -- All that remains for Oakland to sign the left-hander is his passing a physical, according to A's general manager Billy Beane. Beane all but announced Rhodes as the club's closer at a fan event Thursday night in Oakland. Beane said he expected the signing to occur before the weekend.

Looks like this should be done very soon..... :-)

Isn't a left-handed closer a little unusual? Seems the White Sox could have used Marte last season if there isn't some kind of reason most closers are RH. I'm sure Billy Beane has done the research to back-up the decision to go with Rhodes. Just curious.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ramble2 » Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:51 pm

grammysboy wrote:
DieHardCubbie wrote:

Dec. 19 -- All that remains for Oakland to sign the left-hander is his passing a physical, according to A's general manager Billy Beane. Beane all but announced Rhodes as the club's closer at a fan event Thursday night in Oakland. Beane said he expected the signing to occur before the weekend.

Isn't a left-handed closer a little unusual? Seems the White Sox could have used Marte last season if there isn't some kind of reason most closers are RH. I'm sure Billy Beane has done the research to back-up the decision to go with Rhodes. Just curious.

They are unusual because managers tend to like to keep their left-handers available for special situations in middle- to late- innings. That's why Jeff Nelson closed in Seattle last year - so that there would be a leftie available in the bullpen.

The A's already have two other lefties in the bullpen - Rincon and Hammond. This makes me happy. Almost happy enough to pretend like the A's have an offense.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 8)

Postby grammysboy » Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:59 pm

ramble2 wrote:
grammysboy wrote:
DieHardCubbie wrote:

They are unusual because managers tend to like to keep their left-handers available for special situations in middle- to late- innings. That's why Jeff Nelson closed in Seattle last year - so that there would be a leftie available in the bullpen.

The A's already have two other lefties in the bullpen - Rincon and Hammond. This makes me happy. Almost happy enough to pretend like the A's have an offense.

Thanks. ;-D You know, a reasonably intelligent person should have been able to figure that out on his own. That also explains why Marte was such a situaional type pitcher, but still got a few saves. It's amazing what you can learn here if you ask the right questions! ;-)
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:09 pm

grammysboy wrote:It's amazing what you can learn here if you ask the right questions! ;-)

Yes it is, and the thanks go out to all our knowledgeable members for sharing the information. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:33 pm

I like Riske's chances of being the Indian's closer as well.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Walden warriors » Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:31 pm

I've said this before, but I really think that fantasy baseball's dependence on the closer position is a weakness of the game. Saves are without question the most overrated concept in all of sports, and bullpens are a way bigger part of the game than are closers.
Does your league need a quality, outside review of your league rulebook? Does your league not have a written rulebook? Contact me! I can help.
Walden warriors
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:02 am

Walden warriors wrote:I've said this before, but I really think that fantasy baseball's dependence on the closer position is a weakness of the game. Saves are without question the most overrated concept in all of sports, and bullpens are a way bigger part of the game than are closers.

As long as saves are a scoring catagory, then the guys getting them will be people I pay attention to. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rage » Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:50 pm

Good stuff!

Joe Nathan could be a great late draft pick if he does, if fact, close for Minny.

Rage
Rage
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Rage » Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:52 pm

Excellent point, Madison.

Don't forget, with a closer usually comes other cats like wins, WHIP, some K's, and ERA.
Rage
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KPucks » Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:33 pm

I read somewhere that Joe Nathan was going to get a shot ot start in Minnesota.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers