How much value is there in having a good bench? (fantasy) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How much value is there in having a good bench? (fantasy)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby decoy562 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:37 pm

With what I stated above, I play in leagues that have usually 5 bench spots. So, in my example above, I have 2 spots left for pitching still.
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby John Bonzo » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:44 pm

I use bench spots for platoon hitters and high K good ratio relievers (especially those who are next in line for saves). I personally do not worry about getting hitters for backing up positions, because any weak position backup hitter i would have on my bench wouldnt be much of an upgrade over a waiver-wire guy anyways.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SignGuy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:02 pm

hot4tx wrote:George_Foreman has it. Backups during off days can always add a few stats here and there, plus they help you not lose too much when (not if) the injury bug strikes.

Backups can serve to suplement even some of the top hitters' numbers. I look for those guys will consistent, severe splits and use that to get better total number over the course of the season. Sizemore has hit .223 against LHP since he's been in the league. In my 5x5 HTH league, I'll sit him and play A Rios or B Hawpe when a good LHP is starting against Cleveland, granted that Rios or Hawpe don't also have a bad matchup. Will Sizemore burn me and go 4-4 with a couple HRs and a SB against a LHP this year? Probably, but over the course of the season he'll hit .230 against them and .330 against RHPs, so why not use decent backups to suplement his already stellar stats?

Another usage for backups in HTH 5x5 leagues is stat category flexibility. Get backups with different stats than your starters, like if you have Tejada as your starting SS and snag F Lopez to backup your 2B/SS. If you find yourself way ahead or way behind in HR and BA but close in SBs on a friday, you could plug in F Lopez for the 3 weekend games. Lopez should average about 1/3 SB per game, but also steals come in bunches so you could get a stolen base or 3 out of him, instead of playing your starter who helps you in categories that don't matter to you then.

Finally, because SBs come in bunches (usually when the thief is playing against a poor defensive catcher like V-Mart) backups with speed can be especially effective. I'll start a Ryan Freel all week at 2B over a Barfield or Lugo if he's healthy and if Cincy is playing against a weak-armed catcher. It's tons of fun hearing the "Oh you got lucky that Freel stole 4 bases last week" whining of a beaten opponent!

F Lopez is going to be gone by the time you are drafting your reserve players. It doesnt make sens IMO to draft someone early to serve as a backup.

And in response to the post about having a second catcher, unless the whole team has a day off, its close to impossible to tell if the catcher gets a day off until its too late (unless hes Piazza who rarley played in a day game followed by a night game)

there are many schools of thought here. i personally use my extra spots for pitchers or top middle relievers who are easier to rotate in than a bench guy on offesne. still, u dont want to leave yourself too thin
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:04 pm

You throw in a Betemit or a Wigginton 1 day a week all you're doing is adding in an 0-4 with 2Ks....... Either have quality backups or don't worry about it.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby samjerky » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:06 pm

Are there any good websites, or do any of the fantasy sites (Yahoo, ESPN), tell you when a catcher is resting, so you can put in your backup? Something with easy navigation?
samjerky Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hot4tx » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:23 pm

You could be using those roster spots more efficiently with pitching.

I would argue this. Those starting pitchers you get in the last few rounds are the inconsistent/unproven rookies or borderline WW vets. I'd rather have either a few solid core pitchers and a couple to fill out the staff or use a LIMA-type theory and go for a minimum IPs but focus on quality than I would fill my roster with low-tier and/or inconsistent SPs that can and will blow up and kill ERA & WHIP.

Those later rounds you could get Wigginton or Aurillia to help your batting as much as those crappy pitchers could help your pitching, without the similar risk of a blow-up. An 0-4 day from a hitter doesn't hurt near as much as a young pitcher giving up 6 runs in 2 1/3.

...And it's a much worse idea if you plan on using these same guys to help you on a long term basis when your starters go down. This means these largely unused guys have to be quality players -- which means you're reducing your quality of pitching at draft time

Again having better than WW bench hitters doesn't mean I draft Pujols and back him up with Konerko. It means I have guys there that won't kill me if/when someone gets hurt (as at least one of your top hitters will be hurt sometime this year). I think you can draft backups that can make a significant impact on your offense without significantly reducing your pitching.

F Lopez is going to be gone by the time you are drafting your reserve players. It doesnt make sens IMO to draft someone early to serve as a backup.
Well then use Ryan Freel, Nick Punto or someone else instead. I only used Lopez as an example because I just drafted a 12-team league where I had Utley and C Guillen but then Lopez kept falling. I eventually drafted him in the 10th round as a backup 2B/SS.

Again the point isn't that you can get superstars and leave them on the bench, but you can get value picks, potential sleepers, and later round multi-position hitters as backups instead of pitchers. I think there's just as much trade potential with hitters as there is with breakout pitchers and the hitters won't kill your ERA and WHIP because of inconsistency or while they're cutting their teeth.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby tgalv » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:30 pm

if the bench isn't super deep, i'd rather have pitchers. i'd also rather have young players with the potential to breakout than a bunch of stiffs like wiggington . i'm trying to win the league not come in 6th.
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mkultra » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:32 pm

I'm in the "the bench is for pitchers" camp. I will generally, however, carry a hitter around, usually as an audition to see if he can hold his numbers. But I'd much rather have a spot starter I can throw at a weak time.

Remember- every day someone's starting against KC and the Nats :-b .
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby Redlegs » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:44 pm

my league has 10 teams and 5 bench slots, so i like to have at least 3 pitchers on my bench. after the good starters and closers on my team, i like to carry the good late relief guys with a chance at closing at some point. i can sit a couple of starters and still have all my pitching slots filled for those relievers.

my yahoo league's pitching slots are:
SP SP RP RP P P P

so i often have 5 relievers going in a day. very nice when they are two good closers, plus another closer or two, and nice late relievers like broxton and otsuka (closing for now)

im always looking for a zumaya or wheeler type that has good era, whip, k's and a chance of wins, plus they have a chance at being closer at some point in the season.

by the way, with only 10 teams in the league, the replacements im looking at if i have an injury to my lineup aren't so bad that i need to carry decent bench players at the expense of pitching.
Redlegs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SignGuy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:44 pm

samjerky wrote:Are there any good websites, or do any of the fantasy sites (Yahoo, ESPN), tell you when a catcher is resting, so you can put in your backup? Something with easy navigation?

No because these things arent on a schedule except for the players like piazza as i mentioned earlier. its all up to the manager and its usually only known to the public when the lineup card is written out. if you really really feel the need to protect yourself form your cathcer getting his routine day off i would suggest sitting a guy on a day game if they played last night but even then most guys play anyway
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers