Rate My Team Please - Love to hear what you think! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Rate My Team Please - Love to hear what you think!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate My Team Please - Love to hear what you think!

Postby derokonenyc » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:04 am

I am in a 16 team H2h POINTS league. Roster configuration is C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 3OF, MI/CI, DH, 5SP, 2RP - 5 reserves - 22rd snake draft. We have a system where you can keep a player but it will cost you a round in the draft. Had the #1 pick this year and went back and forth between Reyes and Pujols (you'll see why when you see who I kept). Well here's who I got and where I got em'.

C - Victor Martinez (3rd Rd)
1B - Albert Pujols (1st Rd)
2B - Orlando Hudson (16th Rd)
3B - Adrian Beltre (7th Rd)
SS - Freddy Sanchez (14th Rd keeper)
OF - Ichiro Suzuki (2nd Rd)
OF - Adam Dunn (4th Rd)
OF - Brian Giles (8th Rd)
CI - Adrian Gonzalez (13th Rd keeper)
DH - Justin Morneau (5th Rd keeper)

SP - Randy Johnson (9th Rd)
SP - Brad Penny (10th Rd)
SP - John Patterson (11th Rd)
SP - Ted Lilly (12th Rd)
SP - Jeff Francis (15th Rd)
RP - Trevor Hoffman (6th Rd)
RP - Scott Linebrink (22nd Rd)

RS - Corey Hart (17th Rd)
RS - Kenny Rogers (18th Rd)
RS - Chad Billingsley (19th Rd)
RS - Kelly Johnson (20th Rd)
RS - Luke Scott (21st Rd)

Random thoughts....
First I did not realize just how much talent was kept and it's affect on the draft. Guys like Sizemore, Howard, C.Lee, Atkins, Webb, Kazmir, Berkman to name a few. It made me feel I needed to get value at positions to be filled instead of the best player regardless.

My strategy going in was to go with the flow except: Wait on pitching if the top guys go. Do not take a closer in the first four rounds and do not take a second closer just get the setup man (since holds gets points). And avoid batters with a lot of Ks since it takes away points. I was so sure Aramis Ramierez and Michael Young would around in the 2nd and 3rd round that it made me scramble when they were taken early in the second round. Other than that I stuck by it for the most part.

Best pick - Corey Hart: has a job with 20 / 20 potential. Also Orlando Hudson is good value in the 16th rd at a weak position.
Worst pick - Every pick from rd 2 on! Just kidding. Picking VMart at three over a stud pitcher or Andruw Jones was kind of questionable. Waiting till the 9th round to take my first pitcher and said pitcher being Randy Johnson. Waiting too long to take Rich Hill, Scott Olsen or Anthony Reyes. Having too many Padres. But topping em all is Chad Billingsley...blame the beer. No starting gig and Shane Victorino was still on the board. Doh.

Well there's my story. Pitching staff looks like a major issue. Am I trouble?

Let me know what you think. Any thoughts are appreciated! :-)
derokonenyc
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby conaj7 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:34 am

A tip: don't write so much in one post...you'll get fewer replies.

Having only one closer at the beginning of the season seems like a huge risk.
from cbs sportsline:

Ervin Santana
Home: 22-6 with a 3.00 ERA
Away: 9-15 with a 6.69 ERA.

So basically the Angels have a pitcher who throws like Roy Oswalt when he's near Disneyland, and Roy Disney when he's not.
conaj7
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team