Joe Mauer--What do you expect? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Joe Mauer--What do you expect?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Joe Mauer--What do you expect?

Postby Robert » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:22 pm

What do you think Mauer will do this season? Will he be worth anything offensively? Can he hit for average right now? And when do you think he'll start hitting for power?
Robert

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby denvermax » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:43 pm

i think..... :-?

mauer could do good offensively
probably hit for good average, .270 to .280?
probably not much power, 10?

compared to some other catchers he should be good.

but, i dont know that much about Mauer :-/
maybe a Twins fan or someone else could fill you in better
denvermax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Budworth22 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:45 pm

Living in Ft. Myers (home of Twins A-Ball), I got to see him for about 250 AB's. He is phenomenal behind the plate. Absolutely brilliant defensively. He's Benito/ Pudge smooth. He handles the bat well, and hits well to all fields. I think that he can hit for average, around .280. But he advanced extremely quickly, and never had a second time around against any pitcher really. Major league pitchers will figure out his act. But the adjustment will come. Expect a typical rookie season, and at this point he will be more for D than o. I think he oculd hit #2 or 7 in that twins lineup. I believe that with weights th power will come. Remember that he was the #1 prep QB in the nation out of minnesota. As a qb, they discourage weights so now consider this his second year lifting. I believe within two years you will see a power spike.
Budworth22
College Coach
College Coach

Location: Tallahassee/ Ft. Myers ST Home of the Sox and Twins

Postby M_Zimm » Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:47 pm

I don't know a whole lot about him but I do know that he got the minor league MVP the same award that Rocko Baldelli got last year and Mark Prior got the year before. I never saw the guy play though but I hear that people are raving about him and his monor league numbers were awesome.
M_Zimm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby BigLebowski » Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:56 pm

M_Zimm wrote:I don't know a whole lot about him but I do know that he got the minor league MVP the same award that Rocko Baldelli got last year and Mark Prior got the year before. I never saw the guy play though but I hear that people are raving about him and his monor league numbers were awesome.

Why do people keep saying Prior won a minor league MVP?

I don't ever recall this happening. Am I nuts?
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 470)

Postby CrimeDog » Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:03 am

Prior could not have had a minor league MVP, he pitched 4 years in college, and then like a month and a half in the minors before being called up. Unless he got the MVP for the 8 or 10 minor league starts he made, I doubt it.
CrimeDog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:44 am

.220 and a minor league demotion

Perhaps up at the end of the year. I'd love him to succeed as I own him in my league, but I think back at what an equally great hitting Hank Blalock did at 21 and have to put down any lofty expectations.

Very Best Case: .300 10 HR 60 RBI.

I don't think they'll hesitant to send Joe down either -- with LeCroy and Prince (or another FA they'll likely pick up) to fill the void -- this is if he even makes the team outta spring training.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:43 am

I don't have him on my draft lists for next year. He's on my players to watch, but unless I had a weak catcher and I was drafting him strictly for the bench, I wouldn't touch him yet.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:49 am

BigLebowski wrote:
M_Zimm wrote:I don't know a whole lot about him but I do know that he got the minor league MVP the same award that Rocko Baldelli got last year and Mark Prior got the year before. I never saw the guy play though but I hear that people are raving about him and his monor league numbers were awesome.

Why do people keep saying Prior won a minor league MVP?

I don't ever recall this happening. Am I nuts?

Prior didn't win it. He never spent enough time in minors, because he had 4 years of college.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:54 am

If it's a non keeper, i wouldn't bother. In a keeper, i ride him all the way. He's the best guy coming out imo. His defense is major league right now. He's still really young, and his power will come. Many guys struggle who come up at such a young age. Mauer hits for a big avg, his oba is unreal. He actually walked more then he k'd. He also did this in a pitchers league,and at about a year younger then the comp. At this point in career, he matches Pudges defense, and is the better hitter. Take the bumps this year. In 3 or 4 years, he will be the best C in bb.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers