Union rejects deal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Union rejects deal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Union rejects deal

Postby PresHabib » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:37 pm

The latest from ESPN.com says that the ARod/Manny deal has hit yet another snag. The players union rejected the proposed changes to ARods contract and now they may not be able to make Tom Hicks' deadline.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PresHabib » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:59 pm

heres a link
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1688755

I originally figured that the deadline was a move by Hicks and the Rangers to make Boston speed its negotiations and hastily make them pay part of Manny's contract. However, it seems Bud Selig (BS for short) has said that the two sides must agree by tomorrow or he will disallow the talks.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

I HATE THE PLAYERS UNION

Postby Felixmailbag » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:00 pm

This greedy bunch are responsible for baseball being the only sport without a salary cap wich doesnt even bother me as much as the fact that they should be CRIMINALLY PROSECUTED for allowing players to be caught using steroids up to 5 times before they get "help" therefore promoting the use of this banned substances that could end up killing players. A lot of player salary´s cuts and agent percentages are at stake here so what does it matter if they use the stuff or not. I mean so far they just lost an unheralded pitcher from baltimoreright? Is not as someone that matter died. THEY MAKE ME SICK and i hope somebody whacks(thats right whacks,i have HBO) Don Fehr and his posee of greedy hoodlooms :-t
Felixmailbag
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby PresHabib » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:06 pm

....following my last post...

it seems i did not understand Selig's power in this matter. As you all know, based on the fact that its the cafe that im getting this info from, Selig can prevent teams from talking to signed players but not other team's executives. Correct?

What an interesting saga this has all become.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby coke609 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:37 pm

I say, let Hicks keep him. For the life of me I do not undertstand him.

He has ,in Boston ,a deal that will save him $80+ million dollars over the life of the contract and he is asking for more.

With A-Rod his team will still finish 4th. He will have another year of declining attendance. He still will not be able to afford a quality starter and so he keeps on insisting for more.

Hicks, Boras and A-Rod deserve each other.
They should all banned to.... Arlington forever. :-P
I would NEVER vote Pete Rose into the Hall Of Fame
coke609
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

AGREE

Postby KULCAT » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:46 pm

This deal doesnt come thorough you still have Many who couldnt care less if gets trades or not, Nomar who will be playing for his big contract and the same upgraded team they wouldve had a with Arod. While Texas remains a terrible team with no pitching and no light in the end of that 7 year tunnel thats Arod contract. I and dont blame Hicks for giving Arod that stupid contract, a mean is no so bad when youre the best player in baseball but how about paying 15 a year for a pitcher who´s never won more than 12 games. Nice deal on Park and also i still remember that 6 mill a year you pid Darren oliver you genious
KULCAT

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby djacks » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:47 pm

coke609 wrote:Hicks, Boras and A-Rod deserve each other.
:-P

I agree...everyone is quick to blame Selig for the league's problems (and rightfully so) but if you want the guy just as responsible if not more so, look no further than Mr. Scott Boras.
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:09 pm

I guess I don't understand two things. What do you see as the problem with MLB? And, assuming there is such a problem, why should I blame Boras for any of it? As far as I can tell. Boras does exactly what he should do. Negotiate the best deal for the person he is representing. No one holds a gun to any owner's head.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby mikcou » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:09 pm

the deal will still probably be worked out ;-)
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby denvermax » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:47 pm

i think only way it gets done is if the mariners get in on it. trade em nomar and magglio. we can send back guillen and cirillo.

god im a genius
denvermax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers