'03 Marlins are looking more like the '97 team... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

'03 Marlins are looking more like the '97 team...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

'03 Marlins are looking more like the '97 team...

Postby chinch sacs » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:05 pm

"we will not dismantle our team"

"this isn't anything like '97"

Yeah right...

With I-Rod and Urbina leaving via FA, they traded away D. Lee, Encarnacion and Redman... looks like they are gutting the team to me...

... But hey, at least they re-signed Mike Mordecai and Gerald Williams %-6
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Area51's » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:22 pm

I know that they have lost a ton of guys w/out bringing any new talent via F/A, but this is still way better than the worst case scenario I saw them having, such as losing Castillo, or not re-signing Lowell, or non-tendering Burnett.

I think they have been pretty smart w/ their moves, and have actually increased payroll for 2004. They just were so screwed from the beginning w/ all the free agents, and arbitration-eligibile.

97 was completely different....they would just drop payroll to any team that would pick up their signed players. Want Gary Sheffield? You can take him, as long as you pick up his contract. What...sure we'll move Piazza for you too. Ahem...anyone want Moises Alou...he's yours...no we don't care what we get for him.

These guys will still be decent, and they're making smart baseball decisions. They didn't buy a world series title, and they're probably holding on to a lot more parts than they would have had they not won it.

I say this until they start dropping guys like flies.
If I were playing third base and my mother were rounding third with the run that was going to beat us, I'd trip her. Oh, I'd pick her up and brush her off and say, 'Sorry, Mom,' but nobody beats me.
Leo Durocher, Brooklyn Dodgers Manager
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:39 pm

Area51's wrote:I know that they have lost a ton of guys w/out bringing any new talent via F/A, but this is still way better than the worst case scenario I saw them having, such as losing Castillo, or not re-signing Lowell, or non-tendering Burnett.

I think they have been pretty smart w/ their moves, and have actually increased payroll for 2004. They just were so screwed from the beginning w/ all the free agents, and arbitration-eligibile.

97 was completely different....they would just drop payroll to any team that would pick up their signed players. Want Gary Sheffield? You can take him, as long as you pick up his contract. What...sure we'll move Piazza for you too. Ahem...anyone want Moises Alou...he's yours...no we don't care what we get for him.

These guys will still be decent, and they're making smart baseball decisions. They didn't buy a world series title, and they're probably holding on to a lot more parts than they would have had they not won it.

I say this until they start dropping guys like flies.

agreed .... ;-D they have about 10 or 15 million to play with right now ... IROD wanted most if not all of it ... Encarnacion and Urbina were sure to go anyways. The Redman deal is questonable, but I haven't read up on it yet, so I will with hold comment ...
This is nothing like 97 .... If I remember right.. Pads got Kevin Brown for zip .. :-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 687)

Postby mikcou » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:16 pm

This year the trades they are making they are actually getting players in return compared to 97 where they were just dumping salary...
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:10 am

They've kept Castillo and Lowell and have an offer on the table for Vlad. Not a firesale, just a few business moves. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:17 am

I-rod: 32 year old that shouldn't get a 4-year old deal at $9/season. At 36, can you even guarantee he'll be productive AND healthy??? Good move not resigning for his asking price.

Derrick Lee: Probably one of the best 1B combo offensive/defensive guys in the league. He's gonna command big money soon....money the Marlins wouldn't pay. Dunno if I'd invest it in him over a good arm.

Mark Redman: Career year in the regular season. Nothing in playoffs. They're keeping Burnett over him. Be happy.

Lowell: Overspent a tad on him, but they got Castillo at a bargain IMO. Be happy.

Urbina: Oh well, he's gone. You kept Chad Fox. They'll find a cheap closer that can put Urbina-like #'s in that spacious ballpark.

Marlins did a very nice job with limited resources. You seem to forget this squad has perhaps the best up and coming staff in the league -- invest in them. Pitching (Beckett) won you the championship this past year. Who's to say they won't end up with Vlad Guerrero, that I-rod guy took a 1-year offer.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Return to Baseball Leftovers