I could use your help guys. Thanks. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I could use your help guys. Thanks.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who should I take in round 1 with my 7th overall pick?

Jason Giambi
6%
Curt Schilling
38%
Pedro Martinez
19%
Albert Pujols
25%
Sammy Sosa
13%

Total votes : 16

I could use your help guys. Thanks.

Postby The Jury » Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:15 pm

I've drawn the 7th pick in a 10-teamer. The good news is, I'll get a nice guy early second round. That bad news is, I'm stumped for round one. The players in the poll have a 90% chance of being available at my pick, as I am in a private league I know have talked to the guys with earlier picks.

Also, any suggestions for my second rounder? Maybe you know of a good combo I could get with the 7th and 13th picks?
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bennyy22 » Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:54 am

geez, looks like the poll isnt helping to much. each as one vote. sorry bout that
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

-Yogi Berra
Bennyy22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Trojan Pony » Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:04 am

Yes, very close. My rankings of these five...

Schilling (not enough of a drop-off from Randy in stats to be any more than this of a drop-off in draft position)

Pujols (amazing what he's done in two years...only above Giambi because of 3B eligibility)

Giambi (most players have a tough time settling into Yankee stadium...after a slow start, he put up a great first year in pinstripes, he should be even better this season...wow.)

Pedro (easy steal here if healthy all year)

Sosa (all power, no speed, better team around him this year but average should be higher for a hitter of this caliber)

I personally would take Helton or Ordonez above Sosa. But with 7th pick, you shouldn't have to deal with this dillemma. I don't know who you're expecting to be taken but I would guess that Schilling as well as Giambi and/or Pujols should be gone by the seventh pick.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Arlo » Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:54 am

That's awfully tough, but at least you'll wind up with a true stud whoever you wind up choosing. Wouldn't you love to pick 10th here? :-)

Anyway, I'd narrow it down to Pujols (hitting's safer than pitching, and flexibility is worth more than moct folks think), Schilling (as Trojan Pony says, if he repeats his '02 numbers, you'll be getting a huge steal) and Pedro (based on potential, but he's riskier).

Go with Pujols and an arm in round 2, or take Schilling followed by solid bats.

I'd probably be tempted by Schilling, but I don't think there's one 'right' answer here...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

schilling

Postby gypsyspot » Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:57 pm

I would go with Schilling. He and RJ are the only 300+ K pitchers which is a huge advantage. Schilling is also a lock to get twenty wins. In the second round you could easily get a hitter that isnt much of a dropoff from Pujols or Giambi, but you would have to settle for a pitcher with less wins and a lot less Ks.
I know the future!!!!!!!
gypsyspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers