Eric Gagne starting on the DL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Eric Gagne starting on the DL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Eric Gagne starting on the DL

Postby sixer03fan » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:04 pm

Rangers RHP Eric Gagne to start season on DL

March 29, 2007
SURPRISE, ARIZONA (TICKER) -- Although he will play for a new team in a different league, Eric Gagne will begin this season in a familiar place - the disabled list.

The Texas Rangers announced Thursday that the oft-injured Gagne will start the regular season on the 15-day dl.

A three-time All-Star closer, Gagne has been ravaged by a litany of injuries over the past two seasons and still is recovering from numerous operations on his shoulder, elbow and back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Signed to a one-year deal reportedly worth $6 million in incentives in December, the 31-year-old Gagne has worked just three innings this spring, allowing five runs and three hits.

The Rangers apparently feel Gagne needs more work before the season.

"(Gagne is) feeling great," Rangers pitching coach Mark Connor told the team's web site. "He just needs to pitch more innings."

In Gagne's absence, Akinori Otsuka will be the closer. Last season, he was 2-4 with a 2.11 ERA and 32 saves in 36 opportunities.

Originally a setup man, Otsuka assumed the role of closer after a series of blown saves by Francisco Cordero, who later was traded to the Milwaukee Brewers.

The 2003 National League Cy Young Award winner, Gagne owns a record of 25-21 with a 3.27 ERA in 298 career games - all but 48 in relief - with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The major league record holder with 84 consecutive converted saves from August 28, 2002-July 3, 2004, Gagne has recorded 161 lifetime saves - including a career-high 55 in 2003, when he posted a 1.20 ERA in 77 games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=r ... &type=lgns

looks like otsuka's back! temporarily at least....
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Morrison8312 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:07 pm

Ha this is too funny. They're putting him on DL to give him more work. Just wait till he gets hurt again
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby soxfan364 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:26 pm

Who could have called this ? ... ha ha
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby fbc_fan » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:37 pm

crap, and otsuka was just snapped up in that league. sigh...... at least i didnt invest to highly in him.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby icepak » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:37 pm

Anyone know when gagne will get the DL on yahoo?
icepak
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby idealFX » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:40 am

icepak wrote:Anyone know when gagne will get the DL on yahoo?

he's already there.

god damn it i hate gagne. i took a flyer for his sorrya55 last year too.
"I dont know who the Royals will have in centerfield now that Estebean German took one in the mouth on a fly ball. Probably Kerry Robinson which means that the Royals start with one out every 3 innings."

-Perlick
idealFX
College Coach
College Coach

Postby B-Chad » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:12 am

Gagne on the DL as of tonight in my yahoo league. Curious as to when Pedro will get DL eligibility now. Also, Gagne isn't hurt, he's down to throw more pitches so he isn't throwing batting practice to big leaguers. Recently heard he'll be ready in the middle of April, so that means 1-2 weeks of fantasy action. My excitement in getting him as late as I did is that even though I don't expect a repeat of past performance, the fact that he relied heavily on a solid changeup and a devastating curve ball lends to hope that he could still be a solid closer even if he's unable to dial it up to mid to high 90's.
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby idealFX » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:28 am

B-Chad wrote:Gagne on the DL as of tonight in my yahoo league. Curious as to when Pedro will get DL eligibility now. Also, Gagne isn't hurt, he's down to throw more pitches so he isn't throwing batting practice to big leaguers. Recently heard he'll be ready in the middle of April, so that means 1-2 weeks of fantasy action. My excitement in getting him as late as I did is that even though I don't expect a repeat of past performance, the fact that he relied heavily on a solid changeup and a devastating curve ball lends to hope that he could still be a solid closer even if he's unable to dial it up to mid to high 90's.

yeah. i agree. i got him around the 15th round, and needed a third reliever behind nathan and ray, so i said why not. the thing is though, his fastball was the setup to all of his outpitches during his glory years in LA. although ive read somewhere that his fastball has only clocked at 92 at the most, during the spring, im sure the extra time off will definitely help other intangibles (i.e. confidence).
"I dont know who the Royals will have in centerfield now that Estebean German took one in the mouth on a fly ball. Probably Kerry Robinson which means that the Royals start with one out every 3 innings."

-Perlick
idealFX
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates