Y! Sports Blog Funston League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Y! Sports Blog Funston League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Y! Sports Blog Funston League

Postby bleach168 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:56 pm

I am sorry to inform you guys that I have already wrapped up one of my other leagues and can now pay more attention to this one.

Good luck in fantasy football.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cordscords » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:05 am

Figured it was time for an update with tonight being the trade deadline. There are currently 6 pending trades (3 of them involving me!) with some time left for more deals to go down.

And as we head down the stretch I am now left with no SP. Which feels extremely weird. I drafted Sabathia, Lackey, Bedard, Hill, Escobar, and Penny (can you believe that?) and all of them were shipped off to beef up the offense. Penny was dealt at the start of June for Dan Uggla and Dave Bush. Uggla immediatley went into a slump but was still productive for me outside of batting average. Then 2 weeks ago I shipped out Hill and Helton for Hafner. I tried buying low on other struggling sluggers but nobody bit. A little less than a week ago I sent Sabathia and Uggla for Figgins so I can get my speed fix. Yesterday I dealt Furcal and Bedard for Rollins, an all around stud to help fix my offense. And finally today Escobar was dealt for Willitis and Lackey for Dunn.

So why in the world would I ship out 5 SP in 2 weeks who have all been productive? I dont have that much to gain from them any more. I am projected to go way over the IP maximum, and my offense is just flat out sad. They wouldnt even do me that much good in the pitching categories anymore, I'm taking wins, K's, tied for 1st in ERA, and 2nd in WHIP with me being on right on the guys tail.

I didnt get fantastic value but at this point I just need to suck it up and worry about team need. Some might think it's a panic move but I feel I made the neccessary moves to try and make a run at this thing.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:42 am

Very nice. Even though you'll likely end up ~100 innings short of the cap, you've got huge cushions in K and W, and you should win both handily. You may even gain a point or two in WHIP/ERA from good relief innings.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:54 am

I'd like to point out the Genie is still hanging tough near the top. A moral victory in itself.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby cordscords » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:22 pm

Final Standings: http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b2/5333

A very fun year :)
Last edited by cordscords on Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby bleach168 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:58 am

Finishing in 2nd is very frustrating. :,-(

The top teams in the league were top notch and I would never feel ashamed to lose against any of them (except maybe Funston). :-D
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:22 pm

Having tumbled into 7th near the end, I can honestly say the teams that finished in the middle were truly medium notch. At least I am.

A very well played game from everyone involved. At the trading deadline I was in 4th and really thought I had a chance to catch you all off guard and sneak into the lead. That didn't happen. I badly misjudged a few factors, which made for a good learning experience. As the year was winding down my goal was to get to 5th and stay there. Then Funston goes bananas in the last week and I end up in 7th. Couldn't even stick in the top half of the league. :~(

Hope you all enjoyed it. Well played...
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby rotosource » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:16 pm

A nice league - people stayed active through the end. I was secretly hoping that Funston would just throw in the towel and hope people forgot that he played in a 2007 baseball blog league, but he really made some efforts in that last month. That tie for fifth earns him a little bit of respect, even if it probably isn't what he was looking for at the outset of the season.

I think I might have traded my way out of contention early on. I just got too aggressive in my trading for hitting, and the find-decent-pitching-on-the-waiver-wire strategy was largely unsuccessful. Once I chucked saves I don't think I had a shot at higher than third unless the competition was quite close overall. Still, clear fourth in a good field like this one is respectable if unexciting.

It was a fun league though - I hope Funston isn't soured on these leagues forever...
rotosource
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers