Y! Sports Blog Funston League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Y! Sports Blog Funston League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokerplaya » Tue May 22, 2007 12:26 pm

jfg wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
bleach168 wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:Now I get to wonder if you think I'm one of the people getting ripped off ;-) I certainly feel like I've gotten at least my share of lowball offers, but had some very interesting trade discussions as well. My guys just need to step it up a bit. We had a closed door meeting yesterday. We'll see if it helps.


It's no secret I'm a Halladay hater. I didn't like that you saved Scottbluff's team but at the same time you also hurt Meet the Mets pretty good.

jfg wrote: The thing I'd like to see at the end of the year is how many people who picked Reyes win their league. Amazing how the top 3 in that league didn't pick a real SB stud. I don't think that is a coincidence. I'm sure many people who have Reyes will win their league but I wonder how many will win in true competitive leagues


Funston's mistake wasn't drafting Reyes, it was drafting both Reyes and Ichiro in rounds 1 and 3.


Yeah, I'm not sure what your issue is with drafting Reyes early? :-?


No problem, I'm just interested to see how teams with him on it turn out. According to Baseball Monster, in 5X5 he's the 2nd best player. Without stolen bases he's #32. Stolen bases is a category of course, but is top 3 pick too much to pay for those stolen bases?


If he is the 2nd rated player in 5x5, wouldn't that point to yes?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12812
(Past Year: 9)
Joined: 18 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Tue May 22, 2007 12:36 pm

jfg wrote:Stolen bases is a category of course, but is top 3 pick too much to pay for those stolen bases?


considering I can get Taveras, Lofton or Willie Harris off the wire.
No.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31781
(Past Year: 757)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Tue May 22, 2007 12:39 pm

I know Reyes isn't just a one category player, but when ARod or Pujols have big games they are giving you 2-3 HR's with big numbers in RBI's runs and average on top of that. When Reyes has a big game he'll get you SB, runs and average. I just don't know if he belongs in the inner circle of elite fantasy players and I'm interested to see how teams finish that drafted him so high. All of the leagues I'm in right now which range from ultra competitive to kind of competitive have Reyes owners maxing out in 4th place and dropping as low as 8th. Every other league I've seen is about the same. That's a small sample size though. One player doesn't carry a team, but it's worth noting.
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6078
(Past Year: 85)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shasty mcnasty » Tue May 22, 2007 3:05 pm

jfg wrote:I know Reyes isn't just a one category player, but when ARod or Pujols have big games they are giving you 2-3 HR's with big numbers in RBI's runs and average on top of that. When Reyes has a big game he'll get you SB, runs and average. I just don't know if he belongs in the inner circle of elite fantasy players and I'm interested to see how teams finish that drafted him so high. All of the leagues I'm in right now which range from ultra competitive to kind of competitive have Reyes owners maxing out in 4th place and dropping as low as 8th. Every other league I've seen is about the same. That's a small sample size though. One player doesn't carry a team, but it's worth noting.


seems like there are so many variables, what with injuries, other players drafted, pickups off waivers, trades, etc., that there is probably little to no correlation between 1st round draft pick and overall success. Of course, if your 1st round pick doesn't produce, that's an exception, or maybe even if a guy like Arod drops far in the 1st round and then goes crazy that year, that would be an exception. But it seems like baseballmonster or other rating systems are the only way to really ascertain the value of a player...there are just too many variables that go in to a winning fantasy team...
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1206
Joined: 29 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Postby jfg » Tue May 22, 2007 3:42 pm

That's true but I think the case can be made at the end of the year that if Reyes had his normal dominant season on a bunch of losing teams, he might not be worthy of a top 5 pick. Just like their are keys to success, I'm seeing a pattern with Reyes as a key to failure. It's early though so I want to revisit this later in the year.

The problem is you can't really analyze this very well because of the difference between league A and league B. You'd have to sort out what leagues are competitive across the board and that would be next to impossible to do. I think I'm going to start a thread to explore this more.
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6078
(Past Year: 85)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Y! Sports Blog Funston League

Postby cordscords » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:28 am

Time for another bump.

I was sitting all alone in first place for 1 day, and when Yahoo updates in the morning there will be a 3 way tie for 1st place, with the person in 4th place just a half point out of first.

This had been rediculously competitive, and it should be a tight race the rest of the season.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4343
(Past Year: 20)
Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Y! Sports Blog Funston League

Postby The Cow » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:34 pm

Taking Reyes is not going to make or break your team, he can win you steals though. People say "you must draft HR and RBI guys over speed", this is false. Reason 1 there are fewer quality SB guys than HR guys. Reason 2 it is just as easy to get cheap power as it is cheap speed, where was Prince fielder drafted? Not round 1,2,3, or 4. Probably not until the teens. Reason 3 because everyone is told to draft HR/RBI over speed and pitchers, the speed guys and pitchers for that matter are undervalued whereas HR/RBI guys are typically overvalued, I mean how high did Adam Dunn go this year? Sure he is hitting ,270 now, but rest assured he will finish the year around .250. Owners will reach for Dunn in round 4 though.

In round 1 you are looking for a productive player and Reyes is a productive player. If you are drafting Reyes you should have some cheap power guys in mind on draft day, like a Prince, like a Maggs and like a J.J. fluking Hardy.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1754
Joined: 12 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eating refried beans

Re: Y! Sports Blog Funston League

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:41 pm

The Cow wrote:Taking Reyes is not going to make or break your team, he can win you steals though. People say "you must draft HR and RBI guys over speed", this is false. Reason 1 there are fewer quality SB guys than HR guys. Reason 2 it is just as easy to get cheap power as it is cheap speed, where was Prince fielder drafted? Not round 1,2,3, or 4. Probably not until the teens. Reason 3 because everyone is told to draft HR/RBI over speed and pitchers, the speed guys and pitchers for that matter are undervalued whereas HR/RBI guys are typically overvalued, I mean how high did Adam Dunn go this year? Sure he is hitting ,270 now, but rest assured he will finish the year around .250. Owners will reach for Dunn in round 4 though.

In round 1 you are looking for a productive player and Reyes is a productive player. If you are drafting Reyes you should have some cheap power guys in mind on draft day, like a Prince, like a Maggs and like a J.J. fluking Hardy.

The Cow


Couldn't agree more. First of all Reyes will basically win the SB cat right there which means you don't have to waste roster spots on 1 or 2 cat guys like Pierre. Second, you have to remember position scarcity in that you're not gonna get a 30 HR guy at SS anyways and Reyes is clearly the best option (this is pre-draft). The Cow is right, you could easily grab power late. Imagine the guy that drafted Reyes and then snagged guys like Sheff, Fielder, Ordonez, Rios or Hunter. I bet he's doing pretty well. And frankly, Reyes stats aren't bad. He's basically a Jeter clone with a less average (still well above .300 though) and way way more steals. I don't hear you guys bashing Jeter (although I guess he wasn't taken top 5 overall).

Oh and BTW, the guy in my league who has Reyes is in first
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 748
Joined: 22 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Y! Sports Blog Funston League

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:50 pm

Reyes is batting .317, so obviously he is a plus right there. He is 4th in the league in runs, so that's another plus stat. He by far trumps the 2nd place SB guy (I believe it is 38-23). So in a 5x5 league he is a plus guy right off the bat in 3 of the 5 categories. He will likely finish with around 10-12 HR's and 75 RBI's, so it's not like he is going to kill you in any one category, and I'm willing to bet as he gets older and gets stronger he will also increase his power some. The kid just turned 24 two weeks ago.

The fact of the matter is that people drafted him with projections somewhere in the realm of .300 120R's 20HR's 80RBI's 60SB's. I'd be just as happy if he finished .315 120 10 70 80.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12812
(Past Year: 9)
Joined: 18 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Y! Sports Blog Funston League

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:11 pm

I'd just like to point out that the Genie is scrapping.

Image
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1388
(Past Year: 52)
Joined: 1 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apz, buiviopaufamp, GRIN and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact