Y! Sports Blog Funston League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Y! Sports Blog Funston League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bleach168 » Mon May 21, 2007 8:43 pm

Three times as many trades in this league than my other two cafe leagues combined.

My philosophy when it comes to trading is only do it when there is both a deficiency and a surplus on your team. Ideally, a trade benefits both teams.

However, in this league, players have a different philosophy that you see all too often in Yahoo public which is using the trade tool as a way of helping yourself and directly hurting someone else. Unfortunately, there are a couple weaker players in the league that can fall for lowball trade offers. I've seen some questionable trades that I would never see in my cafe leagues. It can be frustrating.

I'm not sure how much I'm hurting my team by not sending out five lowball offers a day, but as long as Funston isn't on a trading frenzy, I'll be happy beating him on an equal footing.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon May 21, 2007 11:31 pm

Now I get to wonder if you think I'm one of the people getting ripped off ;-) I certainly feel like I've gotten at least my share of lowball offers, but had some very interesting trade discussions as well. My guys just need to step it up a bit. We had a closed door meeting yesterday. We'll see if it helps.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby jfg » Mon May 21, 2007 11:44 pm

I don't think Funston has the team to compete with the top 3. He might climb up to 3-4 but I don't see him winning.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Oriole Way » Mon May 21, 2007 11:47 pm

Man I never read this thread before, but Funston had a horrible draft.
Oriole Way
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Payne Dailey » Tue May 22, 2007 12:17 am

"commish guy" is annoying...
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jfg » Tue May 22, 2007 3:00 am

Oriole Way wrote:Man I never read this thread before, but Funston had a horrible draft.

I don't know about that. He just got hit by the injury bug and probably can't catch up to win the thing. Before the season you couldn't argue with many of his picks.

The thing I'd like to see at the end of the year is how many people who picked Reyes win their league. Amazing how the top 3 in that league didn't pick a real SB stud. I don't think that is a coincidence. I'm sure many people who have Reyes will win their league but I wonder how many will win in true competitive leagues.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Tue May 22, 2007 3:49 am

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:Now I get to wonder if you think I'm one of the people getting ripped off ;-) I certainly feel like I've gotten at least my share of lowball offers, but had some very interesting trade discussions as well. My guys just need to step it up a bit. We had a closed door meeting yesterday. We'll see if it helps.

It's no secret I'm a Halladay hater. I didn't like that you saved Scottbluff's team but at the same time you also hurt Meet the Mets pretty good.

jfg wrote: The thing I'd like to see at the end of the year is how many people who picked Reyes win their league. Amazing how the top 3 in that league didn't pick a real SB stud. I don't think that is a coincidence. I'm sure many people who have Reyes will win their league but I wonder how many will win in true competitive leagues

Funston's mistake wasn't drafting Reyes, it was drafting both Reyes and Ichiro in rounds 1 and 3.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby pokerplaya » Tue May 22, 2007 3:51 am

bleach168 wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:Now I get to wonder if you think I'm one of the people getting ripped off ;-) I certainly feel like I've gotten at least my share of lowball offers, but had some very interesting trade discussions as well. My guys just need to step it up a bit. We had a closed door meeting yesterday. We'll see if it helps.

It's no secret I'm a Halladay hater. I didn't like that you saved Scottbluff's team but at the same time you also hurt Meet the Mets pretty good.

jfg wrote: The thing I'd like to see at the end of the year is how many people who picked Reyes win their league. Amazing how the top 3 in that league didn't pick a real SB stud. I don't think that is a coincidence. I'm sure many people who have Reyes will win their league but I wonder how many will win in true competitive leagues

Funston's mistake wasn't drafting Reyes, it was drafting both Reyes and Ichiro in rounds 1 and 3.

Yeah, I'm not sure what your issue is with drafting Reyes early? :-?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue May 22, 2007 9:45 am

bleach168 wrote:

re: Halladay
That's fair enough. I normally can't stand trading hitting for pitching, because pitching is so unpredictable and prone to injuries and such. In that case, I felt like I really needed to do something about my pitching, and figured if I had to trade for a starter, Halladay was a good one to bet on. So naturally he pitched two horrendous games, then went on the DL. Serves me right for trading hitting for pitching. Someone else can take the gamble that he'll come back. I didn't feel the need to run that experiment.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby jfg » Tue May 22, 2007 12:22 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
bleach168 wrote:

Yeah, I'm not sure what your issue is with drafting Reyes early? :-?

No problem, I'm just interested to see how teams with him on it turn out. According to Baseball Monster, in 5X5 he's the 2nd best player. Without stolen bases he's #32. Stolen bases is a category of course, but is top 3 pick too much to pay for those stolen bases?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers