Y! Sports Blog Funston League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Y! Sports Blog Funston League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby davidmarver » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:21 am

I think Nikki's team is real solid. Like what Cords did if he can find another closer. Bleach's team should be towards the top too. I like the cafe's drafts. ;-D
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chadlincoln » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:21 am

I was glad to get Howard and Hafner. That's power. Both could hit 50 this year. I'm lacking some speed. I've got some great pitchers with Smoltz/Zambrano/Cain. I need more speed though.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby rotosource » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:42 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:
great gretzky wrote:not that this would lose you a league or anything, but why would someone take holliday and ortiz, when vlad and hafner were still there? I knwo OF is a touch more shallow this year, but one would think you would either want the two biggest bats you can get, or go johan, huge bat, or huge bat, steals. Not holliday and ortiz. I like holliday and all, but still.

I thought the Ortiz pick was good, but I didnt agree with Holliday that early.

Well, I knew that my Holliday pick was earlier than most would have taken him, but I was projecting Holliday somewhere between 5th and 8th overall this season (102 R, 35 HR, 117 RBI, 11 Stl, .319 Avg), and obviously I wasn't going to see him again at pick 36. I'm still a little nervous about that projection, as it seems higher than just about anybody's view of Holliday, but I think that's actually about what he's going to do. He's got a high beta, I'll admit, and I had to swallow hard before making that pick, but I couldn't make any other pick in good conscience. Obviously, I understand if people think my Holliday projection was a little optimistic - most people project a real return to earth there.

Hafner and Ortiz were somewhat close in my book, but I had Ortiz with a few more RBI and HR to compensate for a lower BA. Ortiz's 1B eligibility in Yahoo made the difference for me. As it turns out, that eligibility came in handy, as I ended up drafting no other 1B except Wigginton, and another full-time DH in Thomas to boot.

For the record, I had Vlad at 12th overall (94 R, 32 HR, 112 RBI, 12 Stl, .321 Avg). The biggest difference in my relative projections of Vlad and Holliday came from trending relative to age, along with Vlad's mild tendency to miss time in recent years. If I had had a third pick on the turn though, it would have been Vlad.

I liked my team on the whole, especially the quality of the pitching staff given the rounds they were picked. If my Holiday projection isn't too far wrong, nobody gets any stress fractures, and Taveras steals 55 bases, I think I'm set. ;-)
rotosource
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby cordscords » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:47 pm

Not a good start :(
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:04 am

You guys are just lucky we aren't using 'scrappiness' as a category. My team is scrappy!!
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 93)

Postby NikkiSixx » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:58 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:You guys are just lucky we aren't using 'scrappiness' as a category. My team is scrappy!!

I think you guys are lucky awesomeness isnt a category, my team is awesome!!
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 381)

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:48 pm

I just dealt Hafner, Lidge, and Torres for Nathan, Wagner, and Verlander.

I give up the best player in the deal. Here is my roster now:

I wanted to solidify my pitching and I got Verlander to help out with that. Nathan/Wagner wins me saves, gives me K's, and lowers my ERA/Whip to go along with Ryan and Broxton. Smoltz and Zambrano are both 200 K pitchers. I do take the hit in hitting, but now I can play Francoer/Magglio as utility. I'm also looking to move a closer later on for some power.

If you base the draft solely on draft picks, I gave up 17, 128, and 209 for 37, 61, and 181. I'd have done that before the draft and it helps my team now. Do I 'win' the deal? Not in a vacuum, but for what I'm trying to accomplish, I'm happy with it. I think Lidge/Torres are big ? marks to hold their roles and both on short leashes.

Paulino
Howard
Lugo
Chavez
Renteria
V. Wells
Rios
Bonds
Francoer
Magglio
EE

Zambrano
Smoltz
Cain
Verlander
BJ Ryan
Nathan
Wagner
Broxton
Duchsherer
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby bleach168 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:35 pm

I know you want to find room for Bonds so I think it does help your team.

Though it did help the other guy more.

Overall good trade for both teams I think.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 51)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:42 pm

thanks for the updates. makes us proud!
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby cordscords » Mon May 21, 2007 2:04 pm

Update time!

-Funston got off to a really slow start, but he's been clawing his way up from the bottom over the last week.

-There have been a flurry of trades this month. Everytime I look there is a pending trade.

-I'm currently making a run towards first place, but that doesnt mean much. This league is rediculously tight, only an 8.5 point distance from 7th to 1st.

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b2/5333
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers