Y! Sports Blog Funston League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Y! Sports Blog Funston League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:26 pm

Dan Haren in the 10th? Yes please! B-)
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby samjerky » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:30 pm

Why did Verlander go so late? I also thought that Garciaparra was a steal. Just a few thoughts.
samjerky Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NikkiSixx » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:41 pm

samjerky wrote:Why did Verlander go so late? I also thought that Garciaparra was a steal. Just a few thoughts.

I still think Nomar is an injury risk. I also think that Verlander didnt pitch nearly as well as his numbers would indicate.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 431)

Postby samjerky » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:51 pm

Interesting about Verlander. I'd like to see how he does this year, but I hold him in higher esteem than most.

As to Garciaparra, yeah he's an injury risk, but I like where Scott got him. He already has Lee, so he can use him in the UTIL role and, while Garciaparra is healthy, get a lot more out of him than some of the other picks in that round. But I do agree with you. Certainly if he was my only guy I'd probably have to use my last pick on Loney, but again that makes me want to draft higher because Loney is pretty darn good so there's not that much downside.
samjerky Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bleach168 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:57 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:
bleach168 wrote:
garf112 wrote:
KHI wrote:Were you aiming for Freel and Roberts to be your OF 2 and 3, bleach? :-o

I'd have to say, I really like Scottsbluff's team...just needs another closer...

he also has griffey, duncan and granderson. You figure those five will add up to two pretty darn good players. that's kind of what i did in my draft. i saw how shallow outfield was and piled up depth with injury prone or platoon types. I think this is a great strategy for this year. Especially, because outfield is where you are going to see most of the top callups come from.

Actually, Freel is my 3B. That's my one true disappointment this draft. I was going to add Huff in round 15 but Burnett was just too good to pass up. Huff then didn't make it to 16. :,-(

My outfield is Abreu and a 4 player platoon of Roberts, Griffey, Duncan, and Granderson. They are all lefties and I will only use them against righty pitchers. The end result should look pretty good.

I have plenty of 3B...I wouldnt be against selling one of them, offer up a trade if you want.

I'm not interested in making a trade just yet. Let's see how the season plays out before I have a yard sale.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby cordscords » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:01 pm

I'm pretty happy about my team. The RP is weak, but with the closer turnover rate, I'm sure to keep my eye out on succesful set up men behind struggling closers.

The fact that Furcal and Sabathia might hit the DL is a bit concerning, but it doesnt sound like a lot of time missed if they do. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the way it looks! :-D
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby KHI » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:22 pm

bleach168 wrote:
garf112 wrote:
KHI wrote:Were you aiming for Freel and Roberts to be your OF 2 and 3, bleach? :-o

I'd have to say, I really like Scottsbluff's team...just needs another closer...

he also has griffey, duncan and granderson. You figure those five will add up to two pretty darn good players. that's kind of what i did in my draft. i saw how shallow outfield was and piled up depth with injury prone or platoon types. I think this is a great strategy for this year. Especially, because outfield is where you are going to see most of the top callups come from.

Actually, Freel is my 3B. That's my one true disappointment this draft. I was going to add Huff in round 15 but Burnett was just too good to pass up. Huff then didn't make it to 16. :,-(

My outfield is Abreu and a 4 player platoon of Roberts, Griffey, Duncan, and Granderson. They are all lefties and I will only use them against righty pitchers. The end result should look pretty good.

How's that worked in the past? How many of those at bat's did you find usually overlap?
Two 80/21/23/66/.280* , 1100 at bats in your Of slots looks good,
but that's with minimal overlap, near perfect guessing when overlap, healthy roberts, semi-healthy griffey, and a non-bust Duncan!
I'd also worry about Griffey's decline hr per ab/ righties 12.4, 13.4, 15.4
KHI
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bleach168 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:09 pm

KHI wrote:
bleach168 wrote:
garf112 wrote:

How's that worked in the past? How many of those at bat's did you find usually overlap?
Two 80/21/23/66/.280* , 1100 at bats in your Of slots looks good,
but that's with minimal overlap, near perfect guessing when overlap, healthy roberts, semi-healthy griffey, and a non-bust Duncan!
I'd also worry about Griffey's decline hr per ab/ righties 12.4, 13.4, 15.4

Against righties, my quartet had a 241/55/168/53/.288 line in 1397 at bats in 2006. Since Roberts and Granderson are leadoff hitters and Duncan and Griffey are two and three hitters, I think I'll be able to pull in over 1200 at bats. To be honest, I'm not going to be getting a 206/47/144/45/.288 line from my platoon.

I fully expect things to go wrong somewhere. What is nice is that there are about 6-12 more guys on waivers who could easily be replacements. Duffy and Lofton can step in for a fallen Roberts. Edmonds or B. Giles for Griffey. I hope it doesn't come to that, but the dropoff would be manageable.

Check back at midseason and I would be more than happy to let you know how it is going. Thanks to Yahoo's Team Log page, I can quickly calculate the returns.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby cordscords » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:37 pm

The league has been made public.

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b2/5333
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager