Maggs for Nomar deal in place... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Maggs for Nomar deal in place...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nsulham » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:07 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
nsulham wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:For the record: I still don't buy this trade going down. Why would the Sox trade Nomar for a guy with similar salary, and can walk? I don't see it.

Because Maggs is THE best LF on the market and since that's what they're going to need to replace Manny, that's what they're going after.

I'd say Manny/Nomar for A-Rod/Maggs is pretty damn even swap.

Just on a sidenote, if this trade happens then it's possible that 4 of my 5 keepers COULD be Red Sox. A-Rod, Schilling, Maggs, Foulke. Sheesh 8-o

I don't buy it. Sorry. Even Curt Schilling said it was a long shot (on the SoSH board). I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the Sox would want someone that could play more than one year.

Transmo I can understand your reasoning but how can you not be excited at the thought of Maggs in a Sox uni?

We're talking about one of the premier OF in the game today. It may be a long shot or whatever but the thought of Maggs patrolling leftfield for the Sox really excites me.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Greenrider » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:28 pm

You know, Cliff Floyd in the Red Sox outfield excited me too, and then he was gone.

Theo & co. have already shown a knack for being able to load up for the following season without losing out down the line, so that's why I can't fathom them renting a single shot of Mags for $14 mil when they already know how hard it will be to keep their good FAs next season without the added burden of having to sign a free agent LF to a long-term contract.
Greenrider
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:09 pm

I'd say it's a good deal for Boston. ;-D

Trans, would you rather lose Nomar and have to find a SS after next year, or lose Maggs and need a LF? I'd rather have Arod and need a LF at the end of the season. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby MashinSpuds » Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:49 pm

Madison wrote:Trans, would you rather lose Nomar and have to find a SS after next year, or lose Maggs and need a LF? I'd rather have Arod and need a LF at the end of the season. ;-)

That's a good point, never thought of it that way. Perhaps they have a cheap option in mind down the road if they let Maggs walk. Good, productive shortstops, who help on both offense and defense, are harder to come by.

Discounting Maggs' slightly slumbersome 2003 season, which was due to a team-wide drought, I'm eagerly waiting for Mr. 1999-2002 to show up. !+)
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby denvermax » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:34 pm

how about maggs in a mariners uni??? :-o

we could trade em freddy, straight up

forget about all this nomar, three team deal crap.
denvermax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:25 am

trevisc wrote:Maggs is already a HOFer!

What? Mags would need to have some monster years for quite awhile. His numbers now aren't even remote to being in HOF.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers