Santana or Beckett? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Santana or Beckett?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kentx12 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:08 pm

I have Santana ranked higher than Beckett. I like Santana he could be 1 of the top fantasy pitchers this year.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby L0rdB23 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:08 pm

Area51's wrote:Santana for me too, just by a small margin. Only reasons are that I see Beckett w/ more chance for downside and wildness. AND that Beckett will be over-hyped from his playoff/world series performance. Seems like guys that really shine on that stage get way over-valued, and sometimes struggle a bit the next year.

Beckett isn't THAT guy, but I just see a little bit less possible downside w/ Santana.

like troy glaus after his WS performance from the year before
L0rdB23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pkarr5000 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:28 pm

josh is still josh. if he stays healthy, he will always be the better pitcher
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:35 pm

pkarr5000 wrote:josh is still josh. if he stays healthy, he will always be the better pitcher

Always? :-? What about the 2003 season?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:36 pm

hmm

I remember a song that wen't like this:

"Let me go on.... like a blister in the sun"
-Violent Femmes

LOL!!
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby djacks » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:41 pm

Beckett

They are about even now, and Beckett has a much higher upside.
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jskidder » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:24 pm

i think the only thing beckett lacked in the past was confidence and maturity, and he has a lot of both going into 2004. i think what he was able to do in the post season was just a glance of whats to come. the cubs series alone may have changed his entire career.
jskidder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby joshheines » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:28 pm

You have all fallen victim to the fantasy baseball cafe hype machine. Santana is proven and Beckett is not? Has either one pitched a full season as a starter? No. How can you say one is proven and the other is not. It's simply a ridiculous statement to make.

Last year, Santana only started 18 games. In 18 games, he had 11 wins, 2.86 ERA, 109 K in 110 IP, and a WHIP of 1.00.

Last year, Beckett only started 23 games. In 23 games, he had 9 wins, 3.06 ERA, 151 K in 141 IP, and a WHIP of 1.32.

When Beckett put it all together in the second half he was a monster. 13 starts, 6 wins, 93 K in 88 IP, and a WHIP of 1.19. Add to that his dominating postseason, proving he can do it in the big spot. 6 games, 5 starts, 2 CG, 2.11 ERA, .77 WHIP and 47K in 42 IP.

I'll take Beckett.
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby shortsavage » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:40 pm

joshheines wrote:You have all fallen victim to the fantasy baseball cafe hype machine. Santana is proven and Beckett is not? Has either one pitched a full season as a starter? No. How can you say one is proven and the other is not. It's simply a ridiculous statement to make.

Last year, Santana only started 18 games. In 18 games, he had 11 wins, 2.86 ERA, 109 K in 110 IP, and a WHIP of 1.00.

Last year, Beckett only started 23 games. In 23 games, he had 9 wins, 3.06 ERA, 151 K in 141 IP, and a WHIP of 1.32.

When Beckett put it all together in the second half he was a monster. 13 starts, 6 wins, 93 K in 88 IP, and a WHIP of 1.19. Add to that his dominating postseason, proving he can do it in the big spot. 6 games, 5 starts, 2 CG, 2.11 ERA, .77 WHIP and 47K in 42 IP.

I'll take Beckett.
Good post Josh ;-D. I was about to try to derail the cafe "hype machine" myself.

Since a lot of you guys listen to Madison, you may want to take note that he said he would prefer to draft Santana because Beckett will go too early; however, the original question was,
astofan wrote:Who's the better keeper fantasy player?

Beckett is a better keeper prospect because he has a heigher ceiling, and he has begun to tap his potential at a younger age.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:44 pm

shortsavage wrote:Since a lot of you guys listen to Madison, you may want to take note that he said he would prefer to draft Santana because Beckett will go too early

I need a full season out of them to answer the original question. I gave an answer that is actually helpful. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers