Bush Claims "I WILL VETO?!" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Bush Claims "I WILL VETO?!"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Geek » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:51 am

Did Bush expect that they'd just write him a blank check so he could continue with his incompetent policies?

And how do we achieve 'victory' in someone else's civil war?
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:53 am

BGbootha wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
BGbootha wrote:4. How is it possible that he can Veto this? Why is it even Vetoable?

Why wouldn't it be vetoable? Isn't that what the whole checks-and-balances thing is about?

Yes, but the very idea that the President needs their permission to have troops over there, and now he no longer has that permission, by vetoing this, he is in essence vetoing checks and balances itself.

I don't see that as the case.

1) The President wanted troops in Iraq, Congress agreed. That was the "check and balance."

2) They (or some of them) want to bring them back. The President does not agree. That is the "check and balance."

They're not the same thing. I mean they sort of are, but they're separate "moves" if you will. Just because Congress failed to stop the troops from going in the first place doesn't mean they should have the ability to pull them back whenever they feel like upping their PR.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Madison » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:10 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
BGbootha wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
BGbootha wrote:4. How is it possible that he can Veto this? Why is it even Vetoable?

Why wouldn't it be vetoable? Isn't that what the whole checks-and-balances thing is about?

Yes, but the very idea that the President needs their permission to have troops over there, and now he no longer has that permission, by vetoing this, he is in essence vetoing checks and balances itself.

1) The President wanted troops in Iraq, Congress agreed. That was the "check and balance."

2) They (or some of them) want to bring them back. The President does not agree. That is the "check and balance."

They're not the same thing. I mean they sort of are, but they're separate "moves" if you will. Just because Congress failed to stop the troops from going in the first place doesn't mean they should have the ability to pull them back whenever they feel like upping their PR.

Nice post and agreed. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Coppermine » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:13 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
BGbootha wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:

Yes, I think that explains it perfectly ;-D

The congress granted the president approval to use force already. Congress has changed it's mind, but now it needs the approval of the president. That's the check and balance.

I'll tell you this though, I really do not expect anyone to win the 2008 election on a platform of "stay the course."
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:53 pm

another way to look at this is that is the president could not exercise a veto, then that implicitly give the legislature the ability to tell the president that he is no longer Commander if Chief. As far as I know that is impossible to accomplish without removing the president from office.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Previous

Return to General Talk