Didn't Draft a P until Round 8 - How does it look? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Didn't Draft a P until Round 8 - How does it look?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby xxgobosoxxx » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:03 pm

Going to critique on a draft pick-by-pick basis

1. (8) Álex Rodríguez 3B - GOOD PICK
2. (17) Lance Berkman 1B,OF - GOOD PICK
3. (32) Jimmy Rollins SS - NO PROBLEMS WITH HIM HERE
4. (41) Derrek Lee 1B - A GOOD PICK, BUT DIDN'T FILL A NEED SINCE YOU HAVE BERKMAN
5. (56) Brian Roberts 2B - WAY TOO EARLY - EVEN IF THERE WAS A RUN ON 2b's THIS IS TOO SOON
6. (65) Gary Sheffield 1B,OF - TOO SOON - HE HAS BEEN DROPPING IN MOST MOCKS
7. (80) Jim Thome Util - IF YOU REPLACE THIS PICK AND THE SHEFFIELD PICK WITH STARTING PITCHING, YOUR TEAM WOULD BE MUCH BETTER
8. (89) J.J. Putz RP - A LITTLE TOO SOON FOR A PITCHER THAT IS CURRENTLY HAVING ARM PROBLEMS
9. (104) Chipper Jones 3B - SEE, YOU TOOK A BACKUP 3B FOR YOUR TEAM, BEFORE YOU TOOK YOUR FIRST STARTING PITCHER
10. (113) Magglio Ordóñez OF - ALSO TOOK YOUR 3RD OF BEFORE YOUR FIRST STARTING PITCHER
11. (128) Takashi Saito RP - SEE WHAT I MEAN ABOUT PUTZ? 3 ROUND LATER AND YOU GOT A VERY SIMILAR CLOSER
12. (137) Ramón Hernández C - EHH...NOTHING WRONG WITH HIM, BUT YOU TOOK A MEDIOCRE CATCHER BEFORE YOU TOOK A STARTER
13. (152) Rich Hill SP - AND WHAT DID YOU GET LEFT WITH? R. HILL AS YOUR FIRST SP
14. (161) Prince Fielder 1B THIS IS NOW THE 4TH GUY YOU HAVE TO PLAY 1B, WHY? WHEN YOU HAVE 1 SP ON YOUR ROSTER RIGHT NOW?
15. (176) Michael Cuddyer 1B,OF MORE BENCH FODDER
16. (185) Derek Lowe SP - GOOD VALUE HERE IF HE WAS YOUR #4 I'D LIKE HIM, BUT AS A NUMBER 2?
17. (200) Dave Bush SP - AGIAN I LIKE HIM BUT NOT AS A 3
18. (209) Kelvim Escobar SP - PERENIALLY A DISAPPOINTMENT
19. (224) Scot Shields RP POINTS FOR HOLDS?
20. (233) John Patterson SP WAS PROBABLY THE BEST SP LEFT SO I CAN'T ARGUE
21. (248) Ian Snell SP - THIS IS GOOD VALUE HERE
22. (257) Chris Burke 2B,OF BLEH...
23. (272) Chris B. Young OF BLEH...
24. (281) Anthony Reyes SP GOOD VALUE HERE

All in all I give you a C on your draft, your first 4 picks are fine, but substitute Roberts with lets say Lackey or Sheets (who have been falling at least to 5th round if not later, and isert Kinsler in 12th round, your team is much better.

Same applies for Sheffield and Thome, 2 guys you didn't NEED, you needed pitching and instead filled an OF and Util spot first.

You have to start pitchers right? Half of the bat you picked up are going to royt on your bench untill they are traded away, and you'll never be able to get someone to take Brian Roberts straight up for Sheets or Lackey, but you may have been able to draft one of them as opposed to Roberts.
Down 3, 8 straight.....The 2004 World Series Champions. The "Idiots". some gone, none forgotten.
xxgobosoxxx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby leafsman » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:33 pm

Purge your 1B and 3B players for Starters ASAP

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=264864
Last edited by leafsman on Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leafsman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sscjl14 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:38 pm

I bet you can get some sucker to overpay for Sheffield, cause of his name.
Go Cards
sscjl14
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby espnsportsfan » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:16 am

id grab bonser, solid young arm
My Fantasy Baseball Blog:http://sandlotsabermetrics.com
espnsportsfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Spotter

Postby tianyi86 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:47 am

Gobosoxx's analysis is kinda harsh. Derrek lee at 4th round is no problem because berkman can play OF.

Fielder at 14th round is huge bargain (normally goes before pick 90), even if he doesnt have a starter, he has to take fielder. Worst comes, trade Derrek Lee for oswalt or zambrano, and the pitching suddenly becomes fairly solid because fielder is only a slight downgrade while you add an ace.

Escobar is definitely not a dissapointment. He gives you everything but wins, which is pretty solid. Hes a lesser version of sabathia, who goes between round 7 and 9.

Cuddyer is also a pretty solid player and you can trade him out to a team that needs power for a closer.

Scot Shields is a solid mid reliever, which helps in era and whip. His k/9 is solid, meaning his effect on K's is better than most SPs because he doesnt waste that many innings but gives alot of strikeouts. I don't mind drafting someone like zumaya or shields or dan wheeler in roto or h2h.

Chris Young and Chris burke are prospects with nice upside, nothing wrong going with sleepers in your last 3 rounds. I want to see what gem you picked up in your last 3 rounds xxxgobosoxxx?

Lastly, Putz and Saito are not similar closer. Putz has much more ks and his job is rock solid. Even if he implodes and give out 3 er/game for 5 games in a row, he probably can still close because Seattle has no other option, while if Saito implodes, Broxton takes over.

To improve your team, see if you can trade out Lee one of the top 6 SPs not named Santana or Carpenter, which are Zambrano, Peavy, Halladay, Oswalt, in no particular order.

Also, see if you can trade out thome for an arm like wagner/street. If not, you might net kazmir/harden/lackey/hamels. If not, you defintely can get someone like chris young or jered weaver. Weaver is a good bet because he is hurt.

If those dont work, try to work out something like magglio and a SP to see if you can upgrade somewhere on pitching. You can easily afford trading out a 1B/OF because sheff, berkman, and cuddyer got double eligibility.
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby DukeVBall » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:21 pm

gobosox and others-

Thanks for the draft analysis. I ranked the position in tiers... and I thought after Cano & Utley, Roberts was the last one before it dropped off significantly. Same with Hernandez... once Johima and Irod were taken, R. Hernandez was the last of the top 5 Cs.

And then when it came to choices like Chipper Jones and Prince Fielder, they were the best hitters on the board and could/should be trade bait. Otherwise I would be taking a B-level pitcher and there were about 10 that you couldn't separate from the rest.

So, since this is a FP league, I think my hitting is fairly solid. And like ejay said, I've got some good K guys. I am thinking of packaging Chipper and either Shef or Magglio to the guy using Mora as his 3b. Which do you think?

Dave Bush was the #14 overall P last year and Puts was #18. #32 was Lowe and #36 is Saito. They scored more than papelbon, Willis, Beckett, etc. Pitching is less valuable in this league. It appears if you can get a RP that saves 30+, he's a top 40 pitcher. So should I dump Shields or another SP/hitter for Hermanson, Wood, or Prior? (We don't get points for holds).
DukeVBall
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby DukeVBall » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:56 pm

tianyi86 wrote:Gobosoxx's analysis is kinda harsh. Derrek lee at 4th round is no problem because berkman can play OF.

Fielder at 14th round is huge bargain (normally goes before pick 90), even if he doesnt have a starter, he has to take fielder. Worst comes, trade Derrek Lee for oswalt or zambrano, and the pitching suddenly becomes fairly solid because fielder is only a slight downgrade while you add an ace.

Escobar is definitely not a dissapointment. He gives you everything but wins, which is pretty solid. Hes a lesser version of sabathia, who goes between round 7 and 9.

Cuddyer is also a pretty solid player and you can trade him out to a team that needs power for a closer.

Scot Shields is a solid mid reliever, which helps in era and whip. His k/9 is solid, meaning his effect on K's is better than most SPs because he doesnt waste that many innings but gives alot of strikeouts. I don't mind drafting someone like zumaya or shields or dan wheeler in roto or h2h.

Chris Young and Chris burke are prospects with nice upside, nothing wrong going with sleepers in your last 3 rounds. I want to see what gem you picked up in your last 3 rounds xxxgobosoxxx?

Lastly, Putz and Saito are not similar closer. Putz has much more ks and his job is rock solid. Even if he implodes and give out 3 er/game for 5 games in a row, he probably can still close because Seattle has no other option, while if Saito implodes, Broxton takes over.

To improve your team, see if you can trade out Lee one of the top 6 SPs not named Santana or Carpenter, which are Zambrano, Peavy, Halladay, Oswalt, in no particular order.

Also, see if you can trade out thome for an arm like wagner/street. If not, you might net kazmir/harden/lackey/hamels. If not, you defintely can get someone like chris young or jered weaver. Weaver is a good bet because he is hurt.

If those dont work, try to work out something like magglio and a SP to see if you can upgrade somewhere on pitching. You can easily afford trading out a 1B/OF because sheff, berkman, and cuddyer got double eligibility.

Thanks for the other viewpoint. Yeah, I thought it wasn't that bad...it seems that the RPs are a bit more valuable in this league. I drafted Lee to play 1b and Berkman to anchor the OF. I figure with Lee, Berkman, and Sheff, I'm going to need some 1b backup (cause I don't think they all make it through this year healthy).

So you think I trade Thome? I think he's my ace in the hole at the UT position... I was thinking of trying to trade Chipper and Fielder/Sheff/Magg bc with Lee hitting between Soriano and Ramirez and with Thome in the ChiSox lineup, I don't want to lose them. Chipper always gets hurt too...

I guess my question for the immediate future... is since RPs are a bit more valuable, do I dump someone for Hermanson or Wood?
DukeVBall
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team