Top Sleeper? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top Sleeper?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tool069c » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:48 am

Budworth22 wrote:Actually, yes. It's only 9 more hits over 162 Games. Easily doable.

So he's going to have almost 1000 at bats?...are you sure?
tool069c
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:49 am

Budworth22 wrote:Dude Hootie, back me up on this. Look at what shandler Says. I can an 8 point spike in his BA, because he is going from a park with the most foul ground, to a park with very little. My numbers are very realistic.

BUD It's true he had a poor hit % last year, his xba was 322. Maybe a 310 is more realistic. You can't predict if he has bad luck again (hit rate) next year. 145 rbis is a dream. Rbis are team dependent. 145 rbis in Baltimore? Remember, Camden hasn't played a hitters park in a long time.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:52 am

Anonymous wrote:Ichiro hit 13 last year in Safeco....and never displayed the power Matsui did in Japan.

I don't think I'm expecting a lot at all really. 85 will be right on target if he ends up batting 3rd.

H Matsui also came over and hit 16 hrs, and he didn't have Shea to deal with.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:27 am

It's interesting to think about what people mean by a sleeper. I usually think of it as somebody who is unlikely to be drafted in the first 200 players, but likely to finish the year ranked in the top 100 in my league. That's why I can't see Kaz or Green or Dunn or guys like that as sleepers. I'd be surprised if they didn't go by round 10.

For me a sleeper is someone who you are not even thinking much about just yet. It's rookies who slip in under the radar and vets returning from injuries. It's the guy who finally gets his break or emerges from just being average.

A good example from my league last year was Ortiz. Drafted in round 20 in a 16 team league, but ranked in the top 75 hitters, IIRC. None of us would be too surprised if Kaz or Green or Dunn ended up a top hitter ( a little bit maybe, but it's not that far from the possible). But, Ortiz?? Who wasn't surprised?
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Erboes » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:37 am

"Dude Hootie". I like that.

A sleeper in my mind is anyone who'll get you more production than what you pay for or where you draft him would indicate. I've long contended that Green would be one of those players. Tejada was another. I also like both of the Giles boys as well. If you can get Berkman in the fourth round he'll be a steal as well.

Shandler. Like we've discussed in an earlier thread, you don't get the Forecaster for its projections. He's right about Tejada's numbers the second half of last season though. I believe he'll be the second best SS out there next season.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

KULCAT

Postby Felixmailbag » Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:04 am

Matsui`s speed look gone. 13 steals his last season in Japan
I see .290 10 hr and 15 steals. Pretty average
Felixmailbag
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:27 am

Also, don't forget that superhuman players usually take a dive when they join the Mets anyway. Just look at Alomar,Vaughn,Burnitz,etc,etc

lol
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby A's Fan » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:56 am

I saw Felipe Lopez' name mentioned earlier in this thread. Has anyone heard from/about this guy? I've always liked him (especially as a fantasy player) and was wondering if he has a chance to start at SS this year.
A's Fan

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jayinet » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:30 pm

The Reds re-signed Larkin at the end of last season and Miley has said he'll go into spring training as the starting shortstop.

D'Angelo Jiminez is likely to stay at second leaving Lopez and Ray Olmedo to battle it out for the middle infield spot. Juan Castro is another option.

Lopez has the best tools and if he plays like he can I think he wins the job as Larkin's backup in the spring. If Larkin stays healthy, he'll still be rested enough for Lopez to get a chance to show what he can do.

If he outplays Larkin early I think he'll get the chance to start by May or June. Of course Larkin is likely to spend time on the DL again which could speed up the process.
jayinet
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jayinet » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:44 pm

What do you think of this player:

A shortstop

Post All-Star break hit .300 12 HR, 37RBI, 43 R, 6SB, slugged.487 and had a .359 OBP

It's Julio Lugo!!!!!!!! 8-o
jayinet
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers