Retrosheet - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Retrosheet

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Retrosheet

Postby ironman » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:29 pm

Does anyone else enjoy this site? I love looking up old games that I attended. Although my favorite game I was at was never official. May 11th, 2003, Cubs vs. Cardinals. I used to have a box score saved somewhere but lost it long ago. The other day I found a blurb on Retrosheet on their Lost Home Runs page.

Retroshee wrote:5/11/2003: The Cardinals were at Wrigley Field and a 23-MPH wind was blowing out to right field. In the bottom of the first, Moises Alou of the Cubs hit a 2-run homer off Brett Tomko to centerfield. In the top of the second, Albert Pujols hit a grand slam to leftfield off Matt Clement. Corey Patterson led off the bottom of the second with a homer to rightfield. In the top of the third, Tino Martinez hit a solo homer to leftfield. Troy O'Leary hit a 2-run homer to leftfield in the bottom of the third. In the top of the fourth, Martinez homered for the second time in the game. This time it went to rightfield and scored 3 runs. In the bottom half of the fourth, Alex Gonzalez hit a 2-run homer to leftfield. He was the last batter faced by Tomko. The game was rained out in the top of the fifth inning. The final count in this day's barrage: seven home runs and a score of 11-9 St. Louis ahead all lost to the weather.

Just an insane game. They say the wind was 23 MPH. That was the sustaining wind speed. There were gusts up to 40 blowing out to RF. We had bleacher seats and I have to say I've never seen more balls leaving the field during BP in my life. I remember one fly ball that looked to be a routine catch for Alou get blown about 20 feet of it's normal course, causing Moises to run and dive at the last second, missing the ball. Also Eli Marrero jacked up his ankle sliding for a catch in the OF. Nice that it was all for nothing.

http://www.retrosheet.org/losthr.htm
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:57 pm

Retrosheet is the best resource for baseball in existence and almost every great tool out there is based on their database. The biggest problem for it to gain widespread use was that it took a good deal of programming knowledge to use it real effectively. Baseball-Reference is slowly changing that since they have added in the B-R Play Index.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby ironman » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:09 pm

Tavish wrote:Retrosheet is the best resource for baseball in existence and almost every great tool out there is based on their database. The biggest problem for it to gain widespread use was that it took a good deal of programming knowledge to use it real effectively. Baseball-Reference is slowly changing that since they have added in the B-R Play Index.

Yeah the B-R Play Index is sweet. It helped me to create the Thunder Matt HR Trophy Room.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby The Big Train » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:18 am

I love Retrosheet. I was looking at some pitcher/hitter confrontations over the course of their respective careers and noticed this:

Hank Aaron vs. Sandy Koufax lifetime: 113 AB, .372/.437/.664

I recognize that Aaron was one of the best all-around hitters ever, but that line shocked me given how dominant Koufax was. As for the quote in my sig, now you now why Willie said it: 23 AB, .087/.125/.174, 10 K's lifetime vs. Koufax.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to General Talk