Royals sign Tony Graffanino - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Kansas City Royals

Royals sign Tony Graffanino

Moderators: joshparrish, prodpaul, Baseball Moderators

Royals sign Tony Graffanino

Postby joshparrish » Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:43 am

KANSAS CITY -- The Royals filled their utility infielder void Sunday night by signing nine-year veteran Tony Graffanino to a two-year deal.
Graffanino, 30, hit .260 for the White Sox last year but was not offered arbitration. At the least, he is expected to provide periodic breathers for third baseman Joe Randa, shortstop Angel Berroa and second baseman Desi Relaford. But if Graffanino gets on a roll, he could intensify the competition with Relaford for the regular job at second.

"He will get a lot of playing time," Royals manager Tony Pena said of Graffanino. "It's going to be up to Desi Relaford to keep his position. [Relaford] is the second baseman, but he knows we have somebody."

Graffanino, a .258 lifetime hitter, knows how to hit in Kansas City. He's a .370 career hitter at Kauffman Stadium. Royals general manager Allard Baird recently spent 3 1/2 hours with Graffanino and his wife, and that recruiting effort paid dividends. Baird likes the fact that Graffanino can play three infield positions and also create competition for a starting job at second.

"This makes us a better ballclub," Baird said. "The thing that's important to us is to give the manager the weapons to be able to be strategic in his moves and have versatility."

Graffanino finds himself in basically the same position that Relaford was in last year about this time. Carlos Febles was the starter at second base going into the 2003 season, and Relaford was cast in a utility role. But later in the year, Relaford took over as the starter at second.

Graffanino also gives Kansas City a defensive answer at third base and shortstop when Randa or Berroa need a day off.

The Royals project that Graffanino, even as a utility player, will get enough at-bats to stay sharp.

"I don't want to say 400 at-bats, but more than 200, there's no doubt about it," Baird said. "Because of his versatility."

With Graffanino on the roster, the Royals have now signed eight free agents since Nov. 26. There are still two specific shopping items -- an everyday left fielder and a backup catcher -- and Baird was trying to explore a trade for a young catcher Sunday night.

Going into the Winter Meetings, Baird had said he would be willing to trade "young for young" if he could get a catcher or a third baseman for the future. If the Royals can't get their backup catcher through a trade, Baird said he would try to fill that void through the free agent market.

"I may hear something tonight or tomorrow," Baird said of a possible trade for a young catcher. "It's a little bit of a long shot. "I'm maintaining conversation with agents on [the free agent market], but I'm exploring the young guy if I could. A young guy who obviously has the upside to an everyday guy down the road for us. Whether that happens or not, I don't know. But I'm going to explore that first."

As for the left-field situation, Baird said the Royals are not close to filling that void. They have been linked to Juan Gonzalez, Raul Mondesi and Reggie Sanders. But until the free agent market shakes out, which could conceivably allow an everyday outfielder candidate to fall into Kansas City's price range, Baird will bide his time.

"We will continue to be patient because it has to fit our payroll structure, and we have to feel very confident that the dependable run production in return for the dollar fits," Baird said.

another fine signing this offseason in my opinion.....now if we can only sign Vlad :-B
joshparrish
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DieHardCubbie » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:59 am

Nice move signing Tony....... ;-D

but I wouldn't hold your breath for Vlad...... ;-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:02 am

I'm guessing Vlad to the Orioles. ;-) Sorry KC fans.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:20 am

Graffanino has been solid, right? I know he's terring it up after one week in '05. ;-)
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Kansas City Royals