Ugueth Urbina sentenced to 14 years in prison - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Ugueth Urbina sentenced to 14 years in prison

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ugueth Urbina sentenced to 14 years in prison

Postby Melo255 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:54 am

Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:59 am

If anyone's been holding out hope in their dynasty leagues, now it's safe to drop him. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Urbina Guilty; Gets 14 Years

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:52 am

Holy crap! 8-o

CARACAS, Venezuela -- Former major league pitcher Ugueth Urbina was sentenced to 14 years in prison Wednesday for the attempted murder of five workers on his family's ranch.

Urbina, a former pitcher with the Philadelphia Phillies, was also found guilty of illegal deprivation of liberty and violating a prohibition against taking justice into his own hands during a dispute over a gun on Oct. 16, 2005, the Attorney General's Office said in a statement.

The 32-year-old free agent was accused of joining a group of men in attacking and injuring workers with machetes and pouring gasoline on them at his family's ranch, located about 40 kilometers (25 miles) south of Caracas.

"The ruling was too severe," said Jose Antonio Baez, a former attorney who represented Urbina.

Urbina repeatedly has denied involvement with the violence, saying he was sleeping at the time of the attack.

The pitcher's lawyer, Jose Luis Tamayo, has said that Urbina surprised the workers by showing up at his ranch that night while they were bathing in the pool without permission. Urbina spoke sharply to them, but later left and went to sleep, according to Tamayo.

Link
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

DEEEP Sleeper (for keeper leagues)

Postby BMcP » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:27 pm

Former MLB pitcher Ugueth Urbina has been sentenced to 14 years in prison for the attempted murder of five men in Venezuela.

Urbina, a two-time All-Star who last pitched with the Phillies in 2005, was also found guilty of illegal deprivation of liberty and violating a prohibition against taking justice into his own hands during a dispute in October of that year. Urbina allegedly attacked the men with machettes at his family's ranch.

Guess he'll be off the fantasy radar for some time now.
BMcP
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:40 pm

The 32-year-old free agent

:-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jbauer2485 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:56 pm

I haven't followed much of the story but why would he try to murder a bunch of random workers?

Pedro Gomez was on ESPN before and said the entire case was a he said\she said thing, without much evidence on either side. I don't know, I'm just not seeing how he could be involved in any of this (Not that I know anything about his character.) Seems like murdering a group of workers for no apparent reason would be the last thing a professional baseball player with a lot to lose would do.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:06 pm

I would think that most people would realize by now that wealth and fame are not good indicators of liklihood to commit a heinous crime.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:30 pm

Madison wrote:If anyone's been holding out hope in their dynasty leagues, now it's safe to drop him. :-b

Amen. I'm stilling paying for that huge contract I gave to Rae Carruth. :-o
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Another Blown Save » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:38 pm

He's gonna be the next Michael Scofield
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:09 pm

yikes. i would not want to spend 14 years in any jail, but i imagine the conditions in ven. to be absolutely terrible

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk