Got screwed on draft day, had to auto pick. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Got screwed on draft day, had to auto pick.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SeaWolf » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:15 am

As far as bats go, we start 1 at each position including DH. In my head my starters are.

C Martinez.
1B Pujols
2B Giles
3B Tracy
SS Lopez
OF Berkman
OF Drew
OF Cuddyer
DH Hafner

Oh and the commish screwed up and we drafted one player short. So I got a freebe and pick up Armando Benitez. Not all teams have caught this yet. :-b

I'll post the available FAs after I take the kiddies to school.

And thanks guys. ;-D

edit: I checked Lopez and he only qualifies at SS right now, So if he were to become available to play 2B I would move him there and move Cabrera off the bench to starting at SS.
SeaWolf
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby SeaWolf » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:52 pm

Top 10 FA bats according to Sportsline. I didn't include OF since I have so many of them.
Cantu, Jorge L. 2B TB
Pedroia, Dustin 2B BOS
Biggio, Craig 2B HOU
Eckstein, David SS STL
Hardy, J.J. SS MIL
Koskie, Corey 3B MIL
Marte, Andy 3B CLE
Kouzmanoff, Kevin 3B SD
Kennedy, Adam 2B STL
Casey, Sean 1B DET

Top 10 FA SPs
Perez, Oliver NYM
Maholm, Paul PIT
Cook, Aaron COL
Shields, James TB
Loaiza, Esteban OAK
Nolasco, Ricky FLA
Milton, Eric CIN
Marquis, Jason CHC
Wright, Jaret BAL
Washburn, Jarrod SEA

Top 10 FA RPs
Nolasco, Ricky FLA
Perez, Odalis KC
Lohse, Kyle CIN
Ledezma, Wilfredo DET
Kennedy, Joe OAK
Hennessey, Brad SF
Cruz, Juan ARI
Heilman, Aaron NYM
Cabrera, Fernando CLE
Wheeler, Dan HOU

I don't see anything that jumps out and says PICK ME.
SeaWolf
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:58 pm

well if you got to pick up benitez, are there any other closers available? good grab on sowers and duch, but i dont like the move of dropping roberts. a .290 avg and 45 sb is very valuable. also, if you have benitez, i suggest picking up brian wilson. if benitez gets dealt, wilson will be the new closer for sf.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SeaWolf » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:38 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:well if you got to pick up benitez, are there any other closers available? good grab on sowers and duch, but i dont like the move of dropping roberts. a .290 avg and 45 sb is very valuable. also, if you have benitez, i suggest picking up brian wilson. if benitez gets dealt, wilson will be the new closer for sf.

I did a search of the remaining FA RPs and sorted by projected saves and this is the top 5.

Dotel, Octavio RP KC
Valverde, Jose RP ARI
McClung, Seth RP TB
Weathers, David RP CIN
Tankersley, Taylor RP FLA

Why Benitez was still available, I don't know.
SeaWolf
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:50 pm

Coppermine wrote:You sure this guy wants the advice of 12 angry men? :-b B-)

That's because Omaha PM'ed me (presumably all of you) to help this lad out. Oh, did I say that out loud? Shame. :-b

Your team isn't too bad. Getting Hafner out of the draft is a huge plus, which makes a good offense more dangerous alongside Pujols and Berkman. Solid offense outside of the Big 3, but I wouldn't expect any of your other bats to be dynamite. V-Mart is probably the most capable of hitting 30 HR's from the rest, whereas Tracy and Cuddyer are more like 20-25 HR, 90-100 RBI types that prove to be very useful for the stats they provide, but don't carry a higher reward beyond that. Drew could be the X-factor for you. Theo Epstein claims Drew has the kind of gap power that can turn doubles into HR's at Fenway. I'd take that with a grain of salt, but surely he carries a high reward, even though he probably peaked in '04. You couple that with the injury risk. I think Quentin could be a year away, but he has the potential as shown last year that he can produce 20-25 HR, 90 RBI in a year's production.

Your starting pitching is quite well rounded. You'll probably need to shore up on your RP. Because your league awards the same points as saves for holds, I recommend stocking up on high K/IP inning eater RP's. Duchscherer is a good pick-up either way, as he could be just as valuable as a setup man as a closer.

I'd drop Shawn Green for Dan Wheeler if I were you. Luis Gonzalez for Kevin Kouzmanoff might also be a worthwhile move.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:51 pm

SeaWolf wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:well if you got to pick up benitez, are there any other closers available? good grab on sowers and duch, but i dont like the move of dropping roberts. a .290 avg and 45 sb is very valuable. also, if you have benitez, i suggest picking up brian wilson. if benitez gets dealt, wilson will be the new closer for sf.

I did a search of the remaining FA RPs and sorted by projected saves and this is the top 5.

Dotel, Octavio RP KC
Valverde, Jose RP ARI
McClung, Seth RP TB
Weathers, David RP CIN
Tankersley, Taylor RP FLA

Why Benitez was still available, I don't know.

Definitely pick up Dotel for Green or Gonzalez.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby j24jags » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:25 pm

As a disclaimer, I am quite inexperienced in points leagues, but that being said, I consider myself a knowledgable fantasy player. Now your team.
Looks solid overall. Pujols-Hafner-Berkman is an EXCEPTIONAL 1-2-3 punch, I have no idea how you got two let alone all 3. Also, Dave Roberts/Freel are one dimensional guys who will get you steals late in the week but will cost you HRs, RBIs and maybe even Rs. I'd try to package Cuddyer or Drew for someone with a bit more a power/speed combo (Rios maybe?)
For the pitching, startesr look very solid, relievers look mediocre at best. Again I'm not sure how necessary closers are in points leagues so don't rely on me there...
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Re: Got screwed on draft day, had to auto pick.

Postby sportsguy138 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:15 pm

First few guys on offense; Pujols, Hafner, Berkman, Martinez are very good. After that it goes down hill VERY quickly and looks like your going to have some troubles there. Keep an eye on the WW if someone slips and pick them up right away.

Your SP looks very solid. You didn't end up with one actual closer, but got lucky with Benitez, and if you pick up Dotel even better (which you should definitely do). If Zumaya ends up taking Jones' job that's even better for you. For now he'll give you solid numbers though.

Make a few trades, keep an eye on who's left out there, and hopefully you'll end up doing alright. Ask for help whenever you need it.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 405)

Postby Members Only Jackets » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:32 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Who the hell is Micah Owings? Drop him for Sowers now.

He's this years Josh Johnson, that's who...looks like he won the 5th spot in Arizonas' rotation.

from cbs sportsline:

The D-Backs' top pitching prospect went a combined 16-2 with a 3.33 ERA, 130 strikeouts and a .271 batting-average against in 162 combined innings between Double- and Triple-A. That included a 10-0 mark in Triple-A. He doesn't necessarily blow away scouts on the radar gun, but he doesn't hurt himself with walks either (just 51). The D-Backs need a slew of options behind ace Brandon Webb as the building of a future dynasty goes forward, and Owings figures to be an integral part of that. He could be a candidate to open 2007 in the D-Backs' rotation and be a sleeper NL rookie of the year candidate. His stuff might not be as promising as an equally burly right-hander Josh Johnson of the Marlins, but we wouldn't be surprised if Owings made that kind of a rookie splash. (Updated 1/17/07)

sp/rp so u can lot him at both places when u want
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby SeaWolf » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:48 pm

I just want to give a big thanks to all who have helped me. Omaha, you didn't have to recruit half the Dark side to help. :-b I PMed you for your opinion.

I have been able to acquire good keepers the last few years, and drafting Hafner this year was a big plus. Beyond that I wasn't sure. I have followed most of the advice that you guys have given me and now have a roster that I think should contend for the title once again this year. Last year my team sucked.

Here is my roster as of right now. If Quentin goes on the DL I will pick up another pitcher.

Active Batters
Martinez, Victor J. C CLE
Pujols, Albert 1B STL
Giles, Marcus 2B SD
Tracy, Chad 3B ARI
Lopez, Felipe SS WAS
Berkman, Lance OF HOU
Cuddyer, Michael OF MIN
Drew, J.D. OF BOS
Hafner, Travis DH CLE

Active Pitchers
Arroyo, Bronson SP CIN