First timer! Please help. WHIR, if I can - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

First timer! Please help. WHIR, if I can

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

First timer! Please help. WHIR, if I can

Postby sixerfl » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:37 pm

I finally took the plunge into fantasy baseball. I am in a 12 team, H2H, non-keeper, 5x5 Yahoo league. We had an auto-draft. This is my team post-changes.

Please let me know what you think.

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/54271/3

C Mike Piazza
1B Richie Sexson
2B Josh Barfield
SS Michael Young
3B Bill Hall (SS)
OF Alfonso Soriano
OF Carl Crawford
OF Jason Bay
UT Hideki Matsui
BN Brandon Phillips (2B)
BN Chad Tracy (3B)
BN Chris Duncan (1B, OF)

SP Brandon Webb
SP Jered Weaver
RP Brian Fuentes
RP Salomòn Torres
P Justin Verlander
P Andy Pettite
P Scott Olsen
BN A.J. Burnett
BN Ian Snell

Dropped from Auto-draft:
RP Ryan Dempster (picked up Torres. Dempster no longer avail)
SP Bartolo Colòn (picked up Olsen)
2B Jorge Cantù (didn't want three 2B. Picked up Tracy)
OF Chris Duffy (needed another 1B more than 5th OF. Picked up Duncan)

I don't know how I got my OF, but I like it. I figure one of my 2B could break out. I like Young & Piazza. If Hall falters, hopefully Tracy will pick up the slack.

My only 1B was Sexson, who makes me nervous. Tried to trade with teams that have two strong first basemen, but no takers. I took a flyer on Chris Duncan.

I like my starters. I know my relievers are a little shaky. There isn't much on the wire. At this point, I'm thinking I'll wait to see if one of my starters falters or gets injured and check the wire, unless somebody sees somebody available that I shouldn't pass on.

Thanx in advance.
sixerfl Beginner
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby IbIban » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:00 am

you need to get some more pitching, who's available on your waivers?
otherwise offense is pretty solid, especially the outfield.

help me out: http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=263202
IbIban
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bartle70 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:06 am

Don't be too scared of sexson. He had the same numbers as Delgado last year and you probably got him 5-6 rounds after delgado was picked. You may want to look into a closer. I like Duncan too and his 1B, OF flexiblity. All and all a pretty good team.

Real nice OF
bartle70
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

IbIban

Postby sixerfl » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:24 pm

IbIban,

Thanks for the feedback. You said I need more pitching. I wouldn't think I would need any more starters (I have 7). I assume you mean relievers.

I don't see any apparent closers as being available on the wire. There are a few good setup guys (Dan Wheeler and Jon Broxton among them).

Being that I'm new to this, is it more valuable to have a non-closer than all starters and closers? Non-closers pitch more games, but fewer innings than starters and they don't get many saves. I guess an advantage would be that they are more likely to fill a spot on a day where it would otherwise be empty.

Thanks again
sixerfl Beginner
T-Ball Trainer

Postby avstars » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:42 pm

Your offense is fine, even though Sexson doesn't hit for avg, he still somehow managed 100 RBIs. Crawford and Soriano will give you enough speed. The only hole I see is 2B.

Your pitching doesn't look bad also. Weaver is gonna begin season on DL but he's a high risk high reward player. Verlander and Pettitte should be decent.

not bad for a start.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=263379
avstars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LordDavidWright » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:34 pm

This is a 12 team league??? That's a strong lineup for an autodrafted 12 team league! I woudln't worry about 2B, Brandon Phillips should do just fine for you and Barfield could thrive in that lineup, so you may find the problem being that you have two quality 2B's and don't know which one to start. But I'd start Phillips right now. That OF is amazing and Sexson always puts up big numbers at the sacrifice of the BA, but Duncan is a solid backup who put up great numbers in limited time. The pitching is good enough and good move picking up Olsen. Snell is a sleeper, but keep an eye on Pettitte and Weaver since they've already experienced spring training injuries. Again, great team!
LordDavidWright
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: First timer! Please help. WHIR, if I can

Postby denicola_dominates » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:42 pm

sixerfl wrote:I finally took the plunge into fantasy baseball. I am in a 12 team, H2H, non-keeper, 5x5 Yahoo league. We had an auto-draft. This is my team post-changes.

Please let me know what you think.

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/54271/3

C Mike Piazza
1B Richie Sexson
2B Josh Barfield
SS Michael Young
3B Bill Hall (SS)
OF Alfonso Soriano
OF Carl Crawford
OF Jason Bay
UT Hideki Matsui
BN Brandon Phillips (2B)
BN Chad Tracy (3B)
BN Chris Duncan (1B, OF)

SP Brandon Webb
SP Jered Weaver
RP Brian Fuentes
RP Salomòn Torres
P Justin Verlander
P Andy Pettite
P Scott Olsen
BN A.J. Burnett
BN Ian Snell

Dropped from Auto-draft:
RP Ryan Dempster (picked up Torres. Dempster no longer avail)
SP Bartolo Colòn (picked up Olsen)
2B Jorge Cantù (didn't want three 2B. Picked up Tracy)
OF Chris Duffy (needed another 1B more than 5th OF. Picked up Duncan)

I don't know how I got my OF, but I like it. I figure one of my 2B could break out. I like Young & Piazza. If Hall falters, hopefully Tracy will pick up the slack.

My only 1B was Sexson, who makes me nervous. Tried to trade with teams that have two strong first basemen, but no takers. I took a flyer on Chris Duncan.

I like my starters. I know my relievers are a little shaky. There isn't much on the wire. At this point, I'm thinking I'll wait to see if one of my starters falters or gets injured and check the wire, unless somebody sees somebody available that I shouldn't pass on.

Thanx in advance.

bad move with the 2baseman cantu i think thsi year will be his one of his career years and will put up big numbers pick him up for chad tracy who does nothing fantasy-wise, see if cantu is available your pitching looks very fluid stick with it maybe make a move for one more god reliever and also chris duncan is a very good player and will do very well this year i agree...... :-D :-D
"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical." -Yogi Berra

denicola_dominates
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby IbIban » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:19 pm

Look for set-up guys that have a possibility of taking the closer role sometime during the season. Dan Wheeler is a big possibility with Lidge struggling in Houston. Also keep a close eye on Bob Wickman in Atlanta, I expect Bobby Cox to keep him on a close leash. Maybe Mike Gonzelez will take over his spot if he starts struggling.

Hope that helps.
Rate my team:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=263202
IbIban
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team