Mitch Albom - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Mitch Albom

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mitch Albom

Postby bell » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:02 am

Has anyone read either Tuesdays With Morrie or The Five People You Meet in Heaven? I have yet to read either, and I wonder if anyone else has been taken aback a bit. I only say that because I remember watching him all of the time on the old Sports Reporters on Sundays, and now he has had these two humongous best sellers that aren't sports-themed. (Not to mention he's a part of the Rock Bottom Remainders, if anyone has had the pleasure of seeing them)

I just think it's neat to see him transgressing the sports niche and exploring other creative outlets.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:02 am

As a man that has devoted his life to literature, I can tell you that "Tuesdays with Morrie" is total crap. It's Oprah Winfrey book club stuff. I've not read his new one, but there's plenty out there to read. And Albom isn't in the top 50 thousand books that should be on your list. If you want to give me a list of books that you've enjoyed, I'd be thrilled to give you my suggestions. But Albom is trite; it's like reading "Live Each Day As Though It May Be Your Last" 100 times over. True, but trite.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:50 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:As a man that has devoted his life to literature, I can tell you that "Tuesdays with Morrie" is total crap. It's Oprah Winfrey book club stuff. I've not read his new one, but there's plenty out there to read. And Albom isn't in the top 50 thousand books that should be on your list. If you want to give me a list of books that you've enjoyed, I'd be thrilled to give you my suggestions. But Albom is trite; it's like reading "Live Each Day As Though It May Be Your Last" 100 times over. True, but trite.

LOL AA.....tell us how you really feel..... ;-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:05 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:And Albom isn't in the top 50 thousand books that should be on your list.

List! List! :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:17 pm

Sorry if I was too frank about that. I was hopped up on cold medicine and was feeling more strongly than usual about the cloying nature of his books. I guess that "tuesdays" wasn't bad, in a readers-digest sort of a way. It just didn't appeal to me.

By the way, I'm one of those people that reads whatever they can get their hands on. Once, at an ex-girlfriend's parent's house I read "The New Our Bodies, Our Selves." It would be a close call between "Tuesdays" and "Our Bodies."
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moose » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:41 pm

Well I liked Tuesdays. I can definitely see where a man of letters wouldnt though. He's not a great writer and Tuesdays is very warm and fuzzy. The best part about it was its inspirational aspect. The worst was the portrayal of Morrie as this God-like expert philosophe. Little too over the top.
moose
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DieHardCubbie » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:01 am

OK....you guys have talked me into it....I am gonna read Tuesdays....... ;-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:43 am

Albom is on the Tony Kornheiser show all the time. I haven't read or seen Tuesdays. Didn't really appeal to me.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 355)

Postby bell » Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:57 am

By the way, I'm one of those people that reads whatever they can get their hands on. Once, at an ex-girlfriend's parent's house I read "The New Our Bodies, Our Selves." It would be a close call between "Tuesdays" and "Our Bodies."

Well, I appreciate the brute honesty. ;-D I was debating whether or not it was worth justifying the purchase of the hardcover version of his latest rather than waiting for a paperback copy sometime down the road.

I wish I had the time to read more, but I plan on using my winter break between semesters to get a handful done. My personal tastes are rather electic. I read anyone from Hornby, Doyle and Elmore Leonard to Kafka and Dostoyevski. Right now I'm stuck in a short story phase, switching between Ron Carlson and Kurt Vonnegut.

Maybe you could start a book thread to start rolling out some suggestions/discussions of books?
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moose » Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:52 pm

It's funny. You know the sociologist have found that baseball-loving men are the most likely to read books than men that like any other sport. And the differences are astounding. No other sport even comes close. So, baseball fans are the smartest obviously. ;-D
moose
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to General Talk