Hawpe sprains ankle - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Hawpe sprains ankle

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hawpe sprains ankle

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:41 pm

http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070327&content_id=1861752&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=col

Hope he doesn't have to start the season on the DL - I think he's in for a big season.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ChiSoxFan95 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:59 pm

Yeah lol. I have Hawpe as my 3rd OF. Plus w/ Baldelli he'll probably go down for a while, and Quentin is questionable also, my OF is looking pretty slim!

I hope Hawpe's injury isn't serious either!
Anyone else here depending upon this guy to put up nice #'s?
ChiSoxFan95
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby yankscool » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:14 pm

Any more updates???
yankscool
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby sox 06 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:58 pm

Just saw on CBS Sportsline that he is Day to Day.

The Denver Post reports that Rockies OF Brad Hawpe sprained his left ankle Tuesday morning doing field drills and was scratched from that day's game. He's listed as day to day.
(Updated 03/28/2007).
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby The Big Train » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:51 am

He sounds overly optimistic to me... I'm guessing a retroactive (?) DL stint is likely.

Hawpe's ankle in question
By Troy E. Renck
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 03/28/2007 06:35:20 PM MDT

Mesa, Ariz. - Brad Hawpe believes with certainty that he will be ready for opening day.

But the possibility of the outfielder opening the season on the disabled list lingered after Hawpe required extensive treatment on his sprained left ankle today. Hawpe suffered the injury while fielding a ball in practice on Tuesday. He has not played the last two days, replaced against the Chicago Cubs by veteran Steve Finley.

"It's a little bit sore, not real painful, but still a little bit sore,'' Hawpe said today. "It's going to be OK. I am sure I will be good to go (for Monday's opener against the Arizona Diamondbacks).''

The Rockies grew concerned when the swelling increased on Tuesday night. Hawpe said he has never suffered a sprained ankle before. The right fielder enjoyed the best spring of his career, hitting .315 with a team-high five home runs. He also showed improvement against left-handed pitching.

The Rockies have alternatives if Hawpe can't go. Jeff Baker would pick up some at-bats as well as Finley. Baker has shown more offensively, but Finley is a much more accomplished defensive player.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_5540656

To answer ChiSoxFan95's question "Anyone else here depending upon this guy to put up nice #'s?," I know I am counting on it. He had some growing pains after the break last year, which I'm guessing has depressed his value so much. The only thing stopping him from breaking out is the ability to hit lefties. It's particularly interesting that his numbers were better away from Coors Field:

Home: 238 AB, .282/.369/.454, 6 HR, 36 RBI
Away: 261 AB, .303/.395/.571, 16 HR, 48 RBI

For what it's worth, I've read a few articles that quote unamed baseball sources mentioning Hawpe as being one the players they believe has trememdous upside. Todd Helton is biased of course, but he just raves about Hawpe's ability. Did I mention he's 27?
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:45 am

Well I hope he's ready for the season, but if he isn't, take a look at Jeff Baker while he's out. Baker would be getting the starts and has tremendous power.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby shamus » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:25 pm

This guy is one of my break out candidates this year so lets get going.
shamus
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Big Train » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:33 am

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) -Rockies outfielder Brad Hawpe had to prove himself in an exhibition game against Triple-A Colorado Springs on Friday afternoon.

Not in the game itself, but before it began.

Hawpe was put through tests to determine whether his tweaked left ankle would be ready for Monday's opener in Denver.

Hawpe took some light batting practice, ran on a treadmill and threw in the outfield grass. He didn't play an inning in the Rockies' 5-3 loss to the Sky Sox.

"He passed all the tests we threw at him,'' Hurdle said. "He'll be ready to go.''

Hawpe grinned as he described his injury that occurred in a spring training practice.

"I just rolled my ankle being clumsy,'' said Hawpe, who hit .315 and drove in 13 runs during spring training.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Holein1 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:29 pm

Looks positive....this was on usatoday.com

Mar. 30, 2007 - 9:58 p.m. ET

Brad Hawpe tested his sprained left ankle Friday by taking some light batting practice, running on a treadmill and throwing in the outfield grass.

"He passed all the tests we threw at him," manager Clint Hurdle said. "He'll be ready to go [on Opening Day]."
Holein1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 33)

Postby FrogStamp » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:03 pm

Has anyone heard whether he'll get more at bats against lefties this year?

I want to pick him up in my league, but I'm hesitant because of the potential lack of at bats.
FrogStamp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates