There's Still Hope! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

There's Still Hope!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

There's Still Hope!

Postby sox 06 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:39 pm

For all the Joel Pineiro owners out there ;-D

News: The Boston Herald reports that with the Red Sox deciding to stick with Jonathan Papelbon as their closer, the club is likely to find a new home for reliever Joel Pineiro. The paper suggests the Cincinnati Reds as the best fit since they don't have a real closer on their staff right now. Pineiro has had problems with his consistency as he's been working with a tighter delivery, but he's thrown eight scoreless innings in his last seven spring games.

Analysis: Leaving Boston may be tough, but getting a chance to close again will give Pineiro some value, especially if he closes somewhere. Don't dump him just yet if you took him with a late-round pick this spring, and if you're about to draft, don't hesitate to take him with a late-round flier.

Source: CBS Sportsline
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:23 pm

the thing is hermanson and weathers have both closed out games before and pineiro has never done it. why would reds acquire him to vault him above the 2 closer candidates? sure hermanson and weathers are not that attractive but neither is pineiro.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Re: There's Still Hope!

Postby zevon » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:35 pm

sox 06 wrote:For all the Joel Pineiro owners out there ;-D

News: The Boston Herald reports that with the Red Sox deciding to stick with Jonathan Papelbon as their closer, the club is likely to find a new home for reliever Joel Pineiro. The paper suggests the Cincinnati Reds as the best fit since they don't have a real closer on their staff right now. Pineiro has had problems with his consistency as he's been working with a tighter delivery, but he's thrown eight scoreless innings in his last seven spring games.

Analysis: Leaving Boston may be tough, but getting a chance to close again will give Pineiro some value, especially if he closes somewhere. Don't dump him just yet if you took him with a late-round pick this spring, and if you're about to draft, don't hesitate to take him with a late-round flier.

Source: CBS Sportsline

Hard to understand how leaving Boston might be tough for Joel, being as he hasn't suited up for his first regular season game yet.
It seems the Sox could use him, with Timlin out for awhile, and I'm anything but sold on Tavares as the 5th starter.

I do agree with others here about him closing, unproven - sure wouldn't be my first choice if I were in Cincy.
zevon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Prooks25 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:32 pm

What is this love affair with Pineiro all of a sudden? Since when is he some kind of bonafide great closer?

I think the Reds are better off staying with what they have.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby jfg » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:48 pm

I think a fantasy team is better off with whatever they have as well. Piniero was a bottom tier closer in Boston. He's not even on my radar in Cincy.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 87)

Return to Injuries & Player Updates