Tejada to the Orioles - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tejada to the Orioles

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Area51's » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:17 pm

Madison wrote:I must admit that it's nice to see a few more teams try to put a better product on the field this year. Detroit, Baltimore, and Tampa Bay have all made moves to try to improve their ballclubs. I'm not saying that any of them will compete, just that it's refreshing. :-)

Very true, and this great.....then I see what Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, and sort of Cincinatti are trying to do.....ick. What is it with teams in the rust belt that have a stadium less than 5 years old w/ sucking? Maybe we should start sending a wild card team from one of the bottom 3 in the NL Central just to liven things up a bit.
If I were playing third base and my mother were rounding third with the run that was going to beat us, I'd trip her. Oh, I'd pick her up and brush her off and say, 'Sorry, Mom,' but nobody beats me.
Leo Durocher, Brooklyn Dodgers Manager
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:53 pm

Area51's wrote:
Madison wrote:I must admit that it's nice to see a few more teams try to put a better product on the field this year. Detroit, Baltimore, and Tampa Bay have all made moves to try to improve their ballclubs. I'm not saying that any of them will compete, just that it's refreshing. :-)

Very true, and this great.....then I see what Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, and sort of Cincinatti are trying to do.....ick. What is it with teams in the rust belt that have a stadium less than 5 years old w/ sucking? Maybe we should start sending a wild card team from one of the bottom 3 in the NL Central just to liven things up a bit.

Maybe the last place team should be fined something like $25 million, or be threatened with contraction. 8-o Lol. :-b That might get a few owners attention. ;-) Lol. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Conq » Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:15 pm

While I think the Orioles did overpay some for Tejada, they had to in order to begin attracting free agents again. We have a number of promising pitching prospects coming up and the goal is to come up with a number of good, homegrown pitchers to go with the bats, not sign a number of high-priced established guys (i.e Millwood, Colon). The O's almost definitely won't contend with Yanks and Sox for a playoff spot, but our team will be better next year and potentially very good in 05.
Conq
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:38 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Actually, ESPN reports 6 years for $72 million. It's more than he's worth, but the Orioles had to do something.

12 mil a year is alot for a guy thats NEVER had a 900 ops season. Considering that Seattle was around 8 mil, it's overkill. Sure it will sell a few tickets, but long term deals like 6 years are real risky, see (Belle, Garland, Brown).
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:27 pm

Considering that Seattle was around 8 mil, it's overkill.

Hootie, both Seattle and Detroit had 5 year/$10 million per on the table or in discussion, so the O's topped it, but not by as much as you indicate.

While I agree that longer term contracts CAN be risky, let's compare this one to the ones you cite.

Kevin Brown was 33 years old when he was signed to a 7 year contract.
Albert Belle was 33 years old when he was signed to his long-term contract with the Orioles.

Which Garland are you talking about?

I'd say it's fundamentally a better idea to sign a 27 year old to a 6 year contract than a 33 year old.

I'd also say that while Tejada is not as good as A-Rod, the Orioles are getting great value for their money. You don't have to have a 900 OPS to be a great hitting SS. Unless the contract market for SS drops by several million dollars per year, Tejada will still be underpriced. Finally, if signing Tejada helps the Orioles get another Latino player on board, I'd saying overpaying a little might be a good idea :-)
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby mikcou » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:28 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Considering that Seattle was around 8 mil, it's overkill.

Hootie, both Seattle and Detroit had 5 year/$10 million per on the table or in discussion, so the O's topped it, but not by as much as you indicate.

While I agree that longer term contracts CAN be risky, let's compare this one to the ones you cite.

Kevin Brown was 33 years old when he was signed to a 7 year contract.
Albert Belle was 33 years old when he was signed to his long-term contract with the Orioles.

Which Garland are you talking about?

I'd say it's fundamentally a better idea to sign a 27 year old to a 6 year contract than a 33 year old.

I'd also say that while Tejada is not as good as A-Rod, the Orioles are getting great value for their money. You don't have to have a 900 OPS to be a great hitting SS. Unless the contract market for SS drops by several million dollars per year, Tejada will still be underpriced. Finally, if signing Tejada helps the Orioles get another Latino player on board, I'd saying overpaying a little might be a good idea :-)

I dont know if hes underpriced since the offers for him from Seattle was for $8 million a year. 8 million would be underpayed but the Sox offered Nomar 12 million...
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:58 pm

I dont know if hes underpriced since the offers for him from Seattle was for $8 million a year.

I don't know why people continue to repeat this, because it's not true. The M's initial offer was for 3 years/$25 million. Their last offer was reported to be 5 years/$54 million. At least one other team, believed to be the Tigers, was reported to have offered 6 years/$69 million. The Orioles were not offering $4 million more than other teams. They were offering $0.5 to $1.2 million more per year.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ ... -headlines

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/NASApp/ ... p&c_id=sea
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:21 am

GOTO I wasn't aware Seattle actually offered that much, or Detroit either. You are correct, signing a 27 year old long term is less risk then a 33 year old. I don't like deals over 4 years myself. If it was a solid team, i could see adding Tejada. I was talking about Wayne Garland. Didn't he get a 10 year deal?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:16 am

I was talking about Wayne Garland. Didn't he get a 10 year deal?

OK, I had forgotten about that one. (I wonder how many people know that he was the first millionaire free agent). The other thing I'd say is that I'd definitely offer shorter contracts to pitchers. The corollary to "There's No Such Thing As A Pitching Prospect (TNSTAAPP)" is "All Pitchers Are An Injury Waiting to Happen APAAIWTH)

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseball ... _Wayne.stm
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:10 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:You don't have to have a 900 OPS to be a great hitting SS.

Career .270 hitter. Not what I'd call a great hitter.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers