Tejada to the Orioles - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tejada to the Orioles

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:21 am

I'll disagree. I think they overpaid a bit, but the Oriole plan is basically the best one, given their situation. The Orioles have quite a few decent pitchers in the minors. It will be years before they have decent hitting prospects. Their fan base is declining because of the poor product they've put on the field for the last 6 years. If they simply waited to develop hitting prospects, they would be toast for another six years.

They had to make a significant upgrade in the offense this year. Three big sticks, plus continued improvement of Hairston/Roberts, Gibbons, Bigbie, and Matos plus improvement in young pitchers at least makes this a competitive team.

Further, if they get Vlad and Tejada, they have two major stars still reasonably in their prime. It's not like they are given 6 year contracts to 35 year old players.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Erboes » Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:45 am

If you keep a team together for a few years they'll eventually make it to .500 if they have any talent at all. I think if Baltimore wouldn't have made any major moves at all they would have been close to that level next season. Whether they make the jump to contenders the followins seasons depends on their talent, and I don't think they had the talent to do that unless they made some moves. They're trying to speed up the process by making the moves a year early. Will it work? I have no clue, but if they didn't make some moves this year they certainly would have to next year.

Really, though, I don't care one hoot for the Orioles. I own both Tejada and Guerrero, so that is where my interest lies. Anyone here think Tejada would have the green light to steal more with Baltimore than he did with Oakland? That could increase his value a goodly amount if he does steal more. Look at Nomar. By his standards he had one of his worst seasons but he stole about 10 more bases than his norm, so it appears he had one of his best. Could this happen with Tejada?
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby trevisc » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:25 am

I'll be suprised if they let him steal more. He's just too bulked up (5'9" 200+ lbs) to be anything more than 15-20 steals guy and I bet they don't want to risk any injury to their prized possession. If anything I see him bulking up a little more and belting out 35+ this year.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:31 am

It's interesting to note that this signing could spell the end of Nomar in Boston. If Tejada is worth 12 mill, what is Nomar worth? He'll surely demand a lot more--and the Sox don't think he's worth it.

Boy did the O's overpay.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby trevisc » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:45 am

I don't think Nomar will play that game. He is more interested in the long term commitment. I mean..the guy has Mia Hamm! Between him and her they make more money then they ever will need!

I think if they offered him a 6-7 year deal worth 12-13 million a year then he would take it. If not then i'll be shocked.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby swarmee » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:51 am

trevisc wrote:I think if they offered him a 6-7 year deal worth 12-13 million a year then he would take it. If not then i'll be shocked.

Didn't he turn down a 4 year, $60 million extension before the 2003 season started. My guess is that means he wouldn't agree to your deal at all.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:53 am

swarmee wrote:
trevisc wrote:I think if they offered him a 6-7 year deal worth 12-13 million a year then he would take it. If not then i'll be shocked.

Didn't he turn down a 4 year, $60 million extension before the 2003 season started. My guess is that means he wouldn't agree to your deal at all.

Yes, he did. And that offer is no longer on the table. I hope we don't offer him anything more than a four year committment--which is actually five years, because he's signed for 04--and somewhere around 13 mill. He turned down 4/48, though.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby trevisc » Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:00 am

insane! Well then I don't blame the Sox for going after Arod. I had no idea he turned down such a sweet offer. Serves him right if he gets traded then

;-D

Maybe the Braves will work out a Furcal/Nomar deal!

haha
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

My take

Postby Ballwreckers » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:04 pm

Whoever the Orioles pick up this season may not be enough to keep up with the Yankes or Red Sox, but I do give them and the other teams in the division props for putting in an effort to improve their teams and make them more competative and marketable.
I am going out on a limb and say that the Tejada deal and if they aquire Vlad will make them a leathel team within two years. They have some good talent over there and should be a feard team. I have to say the same about Tampa if they can pick up one more bat in the middle to help out Huff. We are watching all these big names going to the Sox and Yanks, but we should also be watching the young guys coming up on their competition.
Ballwreckers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Area51's » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:10 pm

Sox FANatic001 wrote::-? does anyone else find it weord that many of the top SS's are in the AL east?

(Nomar/Arod, Jeter, Tejada, Julio Lugo... ;-) .)

cuz i do :-?

Lol.....didn't see this the first time around.....Julio Lugo!!!!! :*)
If I were playing third base and my mother were rounding third with the run that was going to beat us, I'd trip her. Oh, I'd pick her up and brush her off and say, 'Sorry, Mom,' but nobody beats me.
Leo Durocher, Brooklyn Dodgers Manager
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers