Tigers on the rise finally? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Tigers on the rise finally?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tigers on the rise finally?

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:24 pm

Are the Tigers about to turn the corner? You have to admit, their opening day roster last year was a joke.

Since then, they have undergone addition by subtraction (Dean Palmer, Damion Easley, Shane Halter, etc). And have finally added some middle tier free agents (Rondell White, Fernando Vina, maybe one or 2 more to come). It seemed like for years, the Tigers didn't even exist as far as free agency went. Now, Mike Ilitch's new determination to build a winning team has finally given us hope. When Ilitch gets determined, he usually comes through. They may soon have a little more fantasy impact outside of Dimitri Young and being the opponents of the pitchers you use as a spot starter.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:28 pm

The Tigers have made a couple of nice moves. ;-D If I was a fan, I'd be a lot happier than I was last year. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Tigers

Postby mikedeatworld » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:16 am

Yeah these are "nice" moves. But once again, if they don't finish these deals by getting these players a supporting cast, they will end up a lot like last year.

Personally, I think if the A's can get Miguel T., The Tigers could have paid him the $$$ to come here. But oh well, he's washed up anyways. Actually, I'm mad he's not here and thats me venting.

But i do like them going after R. Aurillia and I Rod. But if they can even end up with one of these guys (probably would be Aurillia) I'd be surprised, but happy.
mikedeatworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby aaba_commish » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:55 am

the tigers have made a couple nice moves, but they are still the tigers ! :-t instead of losing 119 we may improve and only lose 100 this season! :-o they are still terrible!!! !+)
aaba_commish

that's the bottom line cause the commish says so!!!!!!
aaba_commish
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Typo

Postby mikedeatworld » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:50 am

"Personally, I think if the A's can get Miguel T.,"

I ment Baltimore...
mikedeatworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:51 pm

Well here's a possibility for their lineup next season:

1) Alex Sanchez - CF
2) Fernando Vina - 2B
3) Bobby Higginson - RF
4) Dimitri Young - DH
5) Rondell White - LF
6) Carlos Pena - 1B
7) Eric Munson - 3B
8) Brandon Inge - C
9) Omar Infante - SS (Santiago's done, he will never make it)

Not ultra intimidating or anything, but the most solid it's been in years. A few spots in the order are still questionable, and another free agent (Aurilia?) could alter it a little. Their starting pitching? That is a complete mess.

Bonderman, Cornejo, Maroth, uh.... not really anyone set after that.

Expect them to sign at least one more Starter and a reliever or two. Kenny Rogers or someone is a possibility.

Anyways, we're not exactly getting playoff hopes, but I do think they could surpass Cleveland this year. The Central isn't exactly a beast of a division, but I still expect the Tigers will be in the 90-100 loss range. Then perhaps add a few more free agents next year. Remember, Detroit is a very underrated baseball town, we won't take our team for granted if they actually show us something for a change.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

D Town

Postby mikedeatworld » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:17 pm

Yeah, I agree the line up is much better than last year, or even the past 9 years.

If you are from detroit you have had this conversation with your friends I'm sure a million times. What if Detroit Still Had:

Mark Redman
Hideo Nomo
Jeff Weaver

Robert Fick
Randel Simon
Louis Gonzalez
Encarnacion
Ausmus

What would our lineup look like if we did still have these guys?
You have to ask yourself what prompted them to get ride of these guys?But the list could go on and I'm sure it would apply for other teams as well.

Granted, besides Louis, these players aren't All Stars, but they could have helped us win some games and have proved that with other teams.

Just a thought...
mikedeatworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Detroit Tigers