Long Term, Short Term Strategy Help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Long Term, Short Term Strategy Help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Long Term, Short Term Strategy Help

Postby Walden warriors » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:18 pm

So, last night our league had its annual owners meeting. Our league is set up that we have 22-man rosters, and at the meeting you must cut your team down to 13.

One twist our league has, is that during each owners meeting, we randomly draw five teams from a hat. Any player on those five teams at the end of the next season HAS to be cut (what we call mandatory release). This insures that there are always meaningful players in the draft.

Here's my 13 man team...

ROSTER
Santana, Mussina, Brown, Beckett
Gagne, Dotel
Glaus, Renteria, Giles, Anderson, Beltran, Kent, Pujols

(Head to head league...categories are R, RBI, BBs, SOs, Es, BA, SLG, TBs, SBs, W, L, HLD, SV, ERA, WHIP, BBs, Ks, and IP.)

The five teams drawn last night (teams whose players MUST be dropped after the 2004 season) were St. Louis, Florida, Anaheim, NY Mets, and Cincinnati. 8-o

Obviously, this kills me. :-t (Beckett, Glaus, Anderson, Pujols, Renteria). I've won our league for the last two years, but doing so has cost me draft position in our March draft (my first pick is in the 4th round). Therefore, while I return a solid core of players to the 2004 season, I am at a disadvantage relative to other teams on draft day.

My question is, what strategy should I take? I'd mortgage my entire future if I knew I had another title in 2004 coming. ;-D On the other hand, I better be damned sure because going for a championship again means I'll have nothing to show for 5 key guys on my team :-t ; if I decide I don't have a title run in me, I can atleast deal those guys for draft picks and have something to show for Pujols & friends by dealing them to contenders.

Does anyone else have experience dealing with this or a similar problem? What do you guys suggest? Thanks.
Does your league need a quality, outside review of your league rulebook? Does your league not have a written rulebook? Contact me! I can help.
Walden warriors
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:35 pm

Personally, I play to win every year. Just the competitive nature in me. I've played keeper leagues for many years, and I've never played even a part of a season where I didn't think I had a shot or tried to build for the future while giving away part of the current year.

I say go for it all. ;-D There are great deals out there every year to help you win champoinships year after year. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Natural » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:46 pm

You have a good core group of players returning, missing the 1st 3 rounds shouldn't hurt too much. I would go for the title. If you get close to the trade deadline and have no chance to win it all, make your trades for the future then.
The Natural
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Walden warriors » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:50 pm

You guys think so?

Look at my core of guys after the mandatory drops...

ROSTER
Santana, Mussina, -----, K. Brown
Gagne, Dotel
-----, -----, Giles, -----, Beltran, Kent, -----

with the blanks being guys I draft in the Spring, four rounds after everyone else!
Does your league need a quality, outside review of your league rulebook? Does your league not have a written rulebook? Contact me! I can help.
Walden warriors
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:54 pm

I still go for it anyway. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Natural » Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:10 pm

Walden Warriors wrote
The five teams drawn last night (teams whose players MUST be dropped after the 2004 season) were St. Louis, Florida, Anaheim, NY Mets, and Cincinnati.

Don't you have all 13 keepers until the end of this year?
The Natural
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:39 pm

The Natural wrote:Walden Warriors wrote
The five teams drawn last night (teams whose players MUST be dropped after the 2004 season) were St. Louis, Florida, Anaheim, NY Mets, and Cincinnati.

Don't you have all 13 keepers until the end of this year?

Yes, until the end of 2004.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

My Solution

Postby JDogg » Thu Dec 25, 2003 7:08 am

If I we're you I'd listen to your signature.

START DRINKING NOW!!

(Is it just me or do other people think this is a strange rule for a keeper league?)
I hate to be a whore, but the world's a pimp - Andre Nicotina
JDogg
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Heavy Lumber » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:14 pm

I would offer Beckett in trade for a few high draft picks. If you are serious about winning this year you will need to at least keep Pujols and Anderson untouchable.

I think with the pitching you have, you could trade for a couple of draft picks and still be competitive this year. Trading Beckett would not hurt because you can always pick up a suprise starter after a month or so into the season. I got Webb very early and there will be more like him this year.

Good Luck... go get em!

8-o
Heavy Lumber
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team