Return to General Talk

apartment discrimination

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RugbyD » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:33 am

StlSluggers wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
JTWood wrote:Familial status?

single/married/kids, that sort of thing

Ah... Landlord doesn't want a single male renting from him?

3, in a 3BR
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:35 am

RugbyD wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
JTWood wrote:Familial status?

single/married/kids, that sort of thing

Ah... Landlord doesn't want a single male renting from him?

3, in a 3BR

Even worse. He’s had some bad experiences with partiers in the past. Too bad he can’t get over it.

Take him down, Rugby. ;-D
Last edited by StlSluggers on Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Madison » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:35 am

I'd just go somewhere else as I wouldn't want to live there after a lawsuit, and having to bring a lawsuit should tell you what kind of place/people you're dealing with. Plus the money damages most likely would be minimal and not worth the time and effort.

Unless of course you're in a highly crowded area and just finding roof over your head is close to impossible.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:40 am

Madison wrote:I'd just go somewhere else as I wouldn't want to live there after a lawsuit, and having to bring a lawsuit should tell you what kind of place/people you're dealing with. Plus the money damages most likely would be minimal and not worth the time and effort.

Unless of course you're in a highly crowded area and just finding roof over your head is close to impossible.

There's your answer right there. Spot on.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:40 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Madison wrote:I'd just go somewhere else as I wouldn't want to live there after a lawsuit, and having to bring a lawsuit should tell you what kind of place/people you're dealing with. Plus the money damages most likely would be minimal and not worth the time and effort.

And just let the guy keep discriminating? When does this guy actually learn that he's doing something wrong? Leaving only encourages him to discriminate more.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:46 am

StlSluggers wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

And just let the guy keep discriminating? When does this guy actually learn that he's doing something wrong? Leaving only encourages him to discriminate more.

Well, I just know if it were me, knowing that this guy doesn't want me there, I wouldn't want to be there. Especially after I've taken him to court over the matter. If there were alternative places for me to live where I'm wanted, that's where I'd seek out. It's really just a matter of personal preference. Some people would think that priority A is taking care of this discriminating putz to prevent him from any further acts of this nature; while others, myself included, are more concerned about just taking care of myself first, which, in this case, would mean me finding other means of residence, as Madison stated, if it were easily available. I don't think it's wrong to press against this guy or anything like that -- I'd just take a different route.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:47 am

StlSluggers wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

How do we know he's 'discriminating' because of familial status?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:49 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

This is true. Maybe he just doesn't rent to ugly people. O:-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:50 am

Of course, if means are a problem, then suing just isn’t an option. When the Army screwed me out of my school money, I had very good grounds for a lawsuit, but the cost alone was prohibitive. Add in the fact that suing the military isn’t generally a plaintiff-friendly idea, and it became a no-brainer. However, I really wanted to press the issue because I knew I couldn’t have been the only one being taken to the cleaner by their scam.

In Rugby’s case, if he has the means, it would be nice to press this guy if only so that further potential renters aren’t subject to this guy’s problems. I understand, though, that it’s not something that’s going to actually profit Rugby in the long-term.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:02 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

i don't have time to relate all the details, but it's obvious in a non-explicit sort of way, especially after we met his asking price and still got denied. our credit scores are good/great, our references impeccable, etc etc.

It is very difficult to find a 3BR in Chicago where all the BR are over 130sqft and include parking, among other features we're looking for, within a certain price and location range, so to a certain extent this is worth pursuing since we are generally model tenants. I'm also using an agent, so my legwork is limited in the search. I'm also a vengeful SOB who wants to make sure this guy continues to throw money away by not being able to rent to anybody who does not excced what we have to offer, which will be tough to beat. It's been on the market for over 6 months. If this has legs, he may find it more desireable to sell the property, and Chicago is going to be a flat-to-down market over the next 6-12 months. }:-)
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk