Blah! Red Roof sucks! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Blah! Red Roof sucks!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Blah! Red Roof sucks!

Postby TheRock » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:57 pm

So I'm in the DC area this week on business. The only place my travel dept could find me anywhere near where I'm working was a Red Roof Inn. Hadn't stayed in one before so I didn't protest. Good God is this place awful. My room smells like who knows what. They allow pets and apparently don't specify rooms as smoking or non. They advertise wireless internet, right? Well, they don't tell you it's stupid T-Mobile so you have to pay $10 a day if you want to get online. I ran out earlier and tried to find a nice Panera or something so I could get check e-mail and find out where I'm going tomorrow but struck out. Decided it was worth the $10 to be able to search for a better hotel for tomorrow.

Never again. :-P :-C %-6
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokeyjoe » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:10 pm

Sounds fun ;-D

Yea, staying in a bad hotel blows. Having a nice place to sleep and relax is very important to me, and i've found it's worth the money to be in a good bed at night.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:55 pm

Ouch. Sorry to hear that man. I'd make sure your travel deparment quits using those guys. Hopefully you'll find something better for the rest of the week. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:04 am

Sounds awful. Too bad you have a travel department that has free reign (it sounds like) over your travel arrangements. It doesn't sound like you're allowed to choose your own flights and lodging and then, make an expense report out of that and get reimbursed for it.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:33 am

wow. i havent stayed in too many hotels/motels but all the ones ive stayed in, i just dont see how people complain. clean room, bed, etc.. thats all i need. just the basics. but if it stunk and everything, im sure it was a bad experience.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:22 am

How much have you talked to the staff? Reasonably express your concerns, i.e. smells, cleanliness, etc. Your internet availability does not seem to be of much concern to whoever booked your reservation so that's not the hotel's fault. The hotel staff/management should do one of two things, if not give you the option of both. Get someone to reclean and ionize your room (request this if they don't offer) or simply move you to another room in the hope that it's better. Ask a member of the staff to accompany you to the new room (and old) to witness the quality, or lackthereof, of your 'living conditions'. As far as pet friendly rooms go, hotels are supposed to leave some rooms set aside that have never had pets allowed. For those that are sensitive to pet allergies. Bring this up if this is an issue. Hoteliers can be, or should be, very flexible, especially if they aren't terribly busy. You can negotiate anything.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ironman » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:38 pm

Nothing's worse than a bad hotel.

At least with a Red Roof/Motel 6 you can go into it with pretty low expectations.

The worst hotel I've ever stayed at is the Tremont Hotel in Chicago, just off of Michigan Avenue. Horrible, horrible, horrible. The room was really small (fine it's an old hotel), but it was just not very nicely kept, the bed was old and incredibly uncomfortable, it smelled musty, the wallpaper was peeling off. There was one elevator that held maybe four people with no luggage, so getting from your floor to the lobby took forever. Their "hotel parking" they advertised was only a valet service during the day and they charged $15 more a day than the nearby ramps (we opted to park at the Four Seasons garage and walk two blocks). And on top of all that, the staff was incredibly rude and snotty to not just us but everyone we saw them interact with. Like how dare we make any sort of request or complaint. The one front desk guy couldn't even give us a decent restaurant suggestion outside of the Cheesecake Factory in the John Hancock and Ditka's which is attached to the hotel (Thanks Captain Obvious!).

The Tremont Hotel has been put on notice. :-D
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby TheRock » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:30 am

So after a few hours I more or less adjusted to the smell. The bed was uncomfortable, but I had nearly fallen asleep soon after heading to bed around midnight. I didn't get far in my effort as the people next door seemed to feel they needed to choose this time to begin screaming at each other. Some woman was shrieking at her man to get out, you suck, blah blah blah. Yelling, stomping, door slamming, yelling in the parking lot, crying, you know, the basics. This goes on for 15-20 minutes. Then they head back inside, shouting at each other all the way. I call the front desk, assuming someone already has by now. The front desk guy tells me it has been brought to their attention and it is being dealt with.

So I'm kinda pissed so I turn the TV back on for a little while. I try again, but then around 2:00, they're back. Now the woman is crying hysterically about how sorry she is. Her dude yells back at her and storms out. She follows outside and he yells at her to get back inside. She pleads with him to come back, he yells for her to go inside, fun stuff. They continue arguing but thankfully walk off to go smoke some crack or something. 3:00 they wander back. Still yelling. I call the front desk again. Dude has no clue this is going on, I don't know how he couldn't hear it.

So now I'm VERY pissed, I have had no sleep and need to get up in 3 hours. I try falling asleep, but that's hard enough in an uncomfortable bed when you're not fuming. So I give up around 3:30 and figure if I'm up anyway, I might as well be productive. So I pack up what I had unpacked and decide a shower now would save me sometime in the morning. but you know, that's easier if you have a towel, and I hadn't looked til now, but I don't have any. I walk down to the office and tell the guy I don't have any towels. Apparently this isn't an unusual problem for them as he wasn't very surprised. But, he said he doesn't have any and they're all locked up in the housekeeping room, to which he doesn't have a key. When will they be in? Oh, around 8:00. Exactly when I need to be at work. Awesome. Well, if were wondering, you can in a pinch dry off with a hand towel if you find yourself staying in a hotel run by morons.

I did manage to get about 2 hours of sleep after that. In the morning I packed up and left. I met one of the managers and told him what had happened. I asked for and received a full refund for the night. He actually seemed genuinely concerned that there were problems and offered me a reduced rate and new room. I declined. Found a Sleep Inn not too far away and had my travel people book me there.

After work I check in at my new place. It's a brand new hotel,less than a year old I think. The front desk lady greets me warmly and offers me some fresh baked cookies. She points out the fitness center, kitchen area where the breakfast buffet is served, tells me all about the wireless internet and points to a computer they have set up in a sitting area where I can print anything I need to. She gives me a map of the surrounding area and highlights some nearby restaurants and makes sure I know how to get where I might need to go. I carry my stuff up to my room, enjoying the new carpet smell and up to date decor. My room smells faintly of potpourri and looks like it's never been used. Brand new everything. Very spacious, fully equipped including fridge and microwave. All the stuff I actually would expect in a mid price range hotel catering to business travelers. But the price? Well, with my company's discount rate with this chain it comes to $5 more than stupid Red Roof. B-) Figure in the $10 I had to pay for wireless, and it's $5 less. Life is good. I'm going to bed. ;-D
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:36 am

Man, that sucks, time to lay into the travel dept!!

I am very sympathetic b/c I just got back from Arizona where I spent a lovely week at the Hyatt Resort at Gainey Ranch:

;-D for Hyatt!!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby ironman » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:26 am

TheRock wrote:So after a few hours I more or less adjusted to the smell. The bed was uncomfortable, but I had nearly fallen asleep soon after heading to bed around midnight. I didn't get far in my effort as the people next door seemed to feel they needed to choose this time to begin screaming at each other. Some woman was shrieking at her man to get out, you suck, blah blah blah. Yelling, stomping, door slamming, yelling in the parking lot, crying, you know, the basics. This goes on for 15-20 minutes. Then they head back inside, shouting at each other all the way. I call the front desk, assuming someone already has by now. The front desk guy tells me it has been brought to their attention and it is being dealt with.

So I'm kinda pissed so I turn the TV back on for a little while. I try again, but then around 2:00, they're back. Now the woman is crying hysterically about how sorry she is. Her dude yells back at her and storms out. She follows outside and he yells at her to get back inside. She pleads with him to come back, he yells for her to go inside, fun stuff. They continue arguing but thankfully walk off to go smoke some crack or something. 3:00 they wander back. Still yelling. I call the front desk again. Dude has no clue this is going on, I don't know how he couldn't hear it.

So now I'm VERY pissed, I have had no sleep and need to get up in 3 hours. I try falling asleep, but that's hard enough in an uncomfortable bed when you're not fuming. So I give up around 3:30 and figure if I'm up anyway, I might as well be productive. So I pack up what I had unpacked and decide a shower now would save me sometime in the morning. but you know, that's easier if you have a towel, and I hadn't looked til now, but I don't have any. I walk down to the office and tell the guy I don't have any towels. Apparently this isn't an unusual problem for them as he wasn't very surprised. But, he said he doesn't have any and they're all locked up in the housekeeping room, to which he doesn't have a key. When will they be in? Oh, around 8:00. Exactly when I need to be at work. Awesome. Well, if were wondering, you can in a pinch dry off with a hand towel if you find yourself staying in a hotel run by morons.

I did manage to get about 2 hours of sleep after that. In the morning I packed up and left. I met one of the managers and told him what had happened. I asked for and received a full refund for the night. He actually seemed genuinely concerned that there were problems and offered me a reduced rate and new room. I declined. Found a Sleep Inn not too far away and had my travel people book me there.

After work I check in at my new place. It's a brand new hotel,less than a year old I think. The front desk lady greets me warmly and offers me some fresh baked cookies. She points out the fitness center, kitchen area where the breakfast buffet is served, tells me all about the wireless internet and points to a computer they have set up in a sitting area where I can print anything I need to. She gives me a map of the surrounding area and highlights some nearby restaurants and makes sure I know how to get where I might need to go. I carry my stuff up to my room, enjoying the new carpet smell and up to date decor. My room smells faintly of potpourri and looks like it's never been used. Brand new everything. Very spacious, fully equipped including fridge and microwave. All the stuff I actually would expect in a mid price range hotel catering to business travelers. But the price? Well, with my company's discount rate with this chain it comes to $5 more than stupid Red Roof. B-) Figure in the $10 I had to pay for wireless, and it's $5 less. Life is good. I'm going to bed. ;-D

Nevermind all those other amenities. If the lady just said "Welcome," and handed you a clean towel, they would've beaten the Red Roof a million times over. :-b
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Next

Return to General Talk