No Gods, no country, no masters - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

No Gods, no country, no masters

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

No Gods, no country, no masters

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:39 pm

Photos of soldier burned in effigy stir outrage

05:41 PM PDT on Saturday, March 24, 2007

By DAVID KROUGH and kgw.com Staff

Some photos that surfaced on the Internet revealed a darker side of the recent Iraq war protests in Portland.

Photos taken by Rachael Palinkas, a Linfield College student, showed masked protesters burning an effigy of what appears to be a U.S. soldier in the Park Blocks.

Thousands marched in Portland downtown streets Sunday to protest the fourth anniversary of the start of the war. As the march along 24 blocks ended, a group of young people led police on bicycles, horses and motorcycles through downtown.

A few scuffles broke out, with police using pepper spray at one point, and several people were led away in plastic cuffs.

The photos showed protesters gathered around a figure wearing U.S. military fatigues and a crude skull for a head as it and an American flag were lit on fire.

Other black-clad, masked protesters carried a black banner that read, "No Gods, no country, no masters," and a circle A anarchy symbol.

Palinkas went to the protest march Sunday because some friends were going and she thought it a good opportunity to snap photos.

"I was shocked! Cause I haven’t seen anything like that before, you know, so I was kind of scared and confused like, ‘what's going on who are these people?’ I'd never seen anyone burn the American flag or any act of burning an effigy."

She published the pics Sunday on her Facebook account. The Drudge Report grabbed it Wednesday and it took off nationally.

She's received dozens of email in angry reaction to publishing the photos.

“They and their friends are not anti-war: they are for anyone opposing this country,” one viewer wrote in the Vanguard blog, where the photos appeared. “The people they hate most are the American soldiers (whom they term “mercenaries” and in a different era called “baby-killers”) who dare bring freedom to an oppressed people under our flag.”

There was no word on the identity of the protesters.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:04 pm

So, anyone know how to stop a Polish grenade?

Ehhh, don't answer that... but I will say that this seems like an isolated thing. Getting outraged over it will basically play into their hands, sort of like those wackos from Kansas who protest funerals. It's sick and inconceivable... but not worth the effort.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:18 pm

Coppermine wrote:So, anyone know how to stop a Polish grenade?

Ehhh, don't answer that... but I will say that this seems like an isolated thing. Getting outraged over it will basically play into their hands, sort of like those wackos from Kansas who protest funerals. It's sick and inconceivable... but not worth the effort.

It's worth the effort of water-ballooning their butts back to oblivion. }:-) }:-)
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:31 pm

knapplc wrote:
Coppermine wrote:So, anyone know how to stop a Polish grenade?

It's worth the effort of water-ballooning their butts back to oblivion. }:-) }:-)

I feel like the water balloon is under-utilized; except against Ernie, but that's another discussion :-b
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:53 pm

Blaming the troops? Yeah, that's intelligent. ;-7 That right there is enough of a reason to ignore these morons.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:49 pm

Why spend the dough on balloons...universities provide free condoms that hold a lot more water... ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Return to General Talk