Nick Markakis? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nick Markakis?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby J35J » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:19 pm

TheDocIsIn wrote:
J35J wrote:Just really a gut feeling but he's a guy I won't be drafting this year. I'm not really excited about 1 good month last year. He wasn't exactly good against the rest of the East last year either..... 226ABs .248avg 6hr

If you had done proper research, you'd see his entire 2nd half was good, not just one month. And also consider he was a rookie that never played anything higher than AA before last year. He dropped in my league because everyone was looking at his stats for the whole season last year. You just can't do that with rookies.

lol.....He had a solid July...mostly Avg related. August was his good month and Sept was horrible. The 1 good month comment was power related.

But hey, thanks for letting me know how you analyze stats and what you should and shouldn't do in regards with rookies!!! It was very good learning experience for me! ;-7
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheDocIsIn » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:30 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:I think that it's a case of as teams get more experience (not to mention film...) on young players, their ability to shut them down tends to go up. Holes in swings or challenges spotting particular pitches are more apparent after a couple of times around. I liked Markakis ok but not for what he seems to be going for.

It kinda goes the same way for hitters learning MLB pitchers. But I see your point.
TheDocIsIn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheDocIsIn » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:34 pm

J35J wrote:lol.....He had a solid July...mostly Avg related. August was his good month and Sept was horrible. The 1 good month comment was power related.

But hey, thanks for letting me know how you analyze stats and what you should and shouldn't do in regards with rookies!!! It was very good learning experience for me! ;-7

no problem. I enjoy helping re: player ignorance.
TheDocIsIn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:39 pm

One thing people need to be aware of with Nick is that he piled up those stats last year with 60% of his ABs from the 7/8/9 holes.

He's now batting 3rd. That alone is going to boost his runs and RBIs by a good 15-20% or so.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby ukrneal » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:40 pm

When a team goes 10-18, it's hard to stand out during that time. If you saw their (the O's) September, you would know how badly they were playing.

I think that picking him in the 150 range +/- (which is about 12-13th round) is reasonable.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby shasty mcnasty » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:45 pm

TheDocIsIn wrote:
J35J wrote:lol.....He had a solid July...mostly Avg related. August was his good month and Sept was horrible. The 1 good month comment was power related.

no problem. I enjoy helping re: player ignorance.

:-b
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:47 pm

I'm not really sure what to expect out of him. As previously stated, I drafted him in my keeper league in the middle of the 12th round. My original target was Rios, but was picked 8 picks earlier. Since Markakis has eligibility in LF/CF/RF he is even more valuable in my league since we designate OF spots.

However, I'm not sure what to expect from him. Funston absolutely gushes over his potential, and until today, the Cafe seemed pretty high on him as well. I admittedly was short on information, but still think he will likely be an impact player hitting 3rd in that Baltimore lineup.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers