A couple of closer notes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A couple of closer notes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A couple of closer notes

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:34 pm

Armando Benitez - R - Seattle Mariners Dec 12

The Marlins appear to have made Armando Benitez their top choice to replace Ugueth Urbina in the closer's role.
According to agent Mike Powers, there are four teams pursuing Benitez, two from each league. All four of the teams would want him as a closer. He wouldn't mention the teams, but our guess is that the American League clubs are the Blue Jays and Devil Rays, with the Twins also a possibility. The other National League club could be the Rockies. Source: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Ugueth Urbina - R - Florida Marlins Dec 12

The Twins will meet with free-agent closer Ugueth Urbina this weekend.
Acquiring a closer appears to be the priority for the Twins, but they're also looking for a fourth starter (a hole they could fill in a Jacque Jones trade) and a backup catcher. Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: A couple of closer notes

Postby bell » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:44 pm

Madison wrote:Armando Benitez - R - Seattle Mariners Dec 12

The Marlins appear to have made Armando Benitez their top choice to replace Ugueth Urbina in the closer's role.
According to agent Mike Powers, there are four teams pursuing Benitez, two from each league. All four of the teams would want him as a closer. He wouldn't mention the teams, but our guess is that the American League clubs are the Blue Jays and Devil Rays, with the Twins also a possibility. The other National League club could be the Rockies. Source: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

8-o :-o In that case just re-sign Looper!
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby trevisc » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:00 pm

doesn't make much sense to me. Seems like it would cost them twice as much to get Benitez then it would be to have looper. either way i'd say Benitez' is not a top choice with his nasty WHIP.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Area51's » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:08 pm

First time in a while Benitez will be undervalued. In the right situation he can be devistatingly nasty. He would be a PERFECT fit for FLA, and not a bad fit in a few places.

A HUGE upgrade over Looper who pitches way over his talent's head. Thats because he's "a looper...you know...a jock" :-B :-B
If I were playing third base and my mother were rounding third with the run that was going to beat us, I'd trip her. Oh, I'd pick her up and brush her off and say, 'Sorry, Mom,' but nobody beats me.
Leo Durocher, Brooklyn Dodgers Manager
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:23 pm

trevisc wrote:doesn't make much sense to me. Seems like it would cost them twice as much to get Benitez then it would be to have looper. either way i'd say Benitez' is not a top choice with his nasty WHIP.

his whip last year was 1.30, not stellar for a reliever. however, since 1998 he has a cumulative era of 2.85, a cumulative whip of 1.13, and 12.1 strikeouts per 9. i think benitez is being undervalued. he has had a pretty solid career and slice off a month and last year wasnt that bad either.

it doesnt seem like too many teams are in a hurry to sign him so he could be relatively cheap.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:23 pm

On a non-contender, he could be nice. For a contending team, he scares me. He has always done poorly in big games.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Brandaddy » Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:14 pm

i heard the Dbacks and Twins made a deal sending Mantei to Min for Jacque Jones.

this ups Valverdes fantasy value if Mantei leaves.
Brandaddy
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers