whats wrong with batters on bench? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

whats wrong with batters on bench?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

whats wrong with batters on bench?

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:34 am

ive seen a few posts saying to get rid of benched batters because they are useless and to pick up pitching instead. i dont understand this but do have 4 batters on my bench and 2 benched pitchers so does that mean i drop/trade a few of my benched and go for pitchers?
10 team,H2H,5x5
C-Montero
1B-A.Gonzalez
2B-Utley
3B-Longoria
SS-Reyes
1B/3B-Morneau
2b/SS-K.Jonhson
OF-J.Upton,CarGo,Pierre
UTL-Rasmus
P-Hamels,Nolasco,W.Rodriguez,Garza,Wagner,Aardsma
BN-Span,Slowey,Liriano,E.Santana,Gregg, Pelfrey, Street
DL-B. Anderson
sadlyajetsfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LiveForever » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:39 am

Bench pitchers you can rotate into your starting lineup during the week when they make their starts. Bench hitters on the other hand sit there and do nothing 19 out of 20 days. Its simply a better distribution of resources to have bench pitchers.
"If you look long enough for an argument against reason, you will find it" ~Moneyball

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
LiveForever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:44 am

LiveForever wrote:Bench pitchers you can rotate into your starting lineup during the week when they make their starts. Bench hitters on the other hand sit there and do nothing 19 out of 20 days. Its simply a better distribution of resources to have bench pitchers.

makes a lot of sense. im in a bit of a jam right now though. all my benched players except overbay are my speed guys. right now i am trying to trade either hall,delgado or some OF to make space,maybe end up starting overbay and lugo. so is it a good idea to carry no benched batters?
C-Johjima
1-Delgado
2-Utley
SS-Bill Hall
3-A.Ramirez
OF-Manny
OF-Carlos Lee
OF-Andruw Jones
Ut-A.Dunn
BN-Julio Lugo
BN-Overbay
BN-O. Cabrera
BN-Lofton
10 team,H2H,5x5
C-Montero
1B-A.Gonzalez
2B-Utley
3B-Longoria
SS-Reyes
1B/3B-Morneau
2b/SS-K.Jonhson
OF-J.Upton,CarGo,Pierre
UTL-Rasmus
DL-B. Anderson
sadlyajetsfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pochucker » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:57 am

There is middle ground here. I do not rotate my top two or three starters weekly. They go every week. Thus I usally keep/pick up three pitchers to use for double starts or more favorable matchups and have 2/3 hitters on bench.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby 'Roid Rage » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:13 am

In your case, Lugo, OCab and Overbay are definite keepers due to skill and could easily be traded if you needed. I don't think it is bad to have a hitter or two on the bench, but I see some people on here who have a Yadier Molina or Darin Erstad-type on their bench. Those type of guys would rarely play instead of the regulars plus no other team would likely take them off the waiver wire anyways. Their teams would benefit from adding some pitching instead.
'Roid Rage
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:28 am

thanks alot for clearing it all up. so i guess you guys just get 2 pitchers off waivers and just play matchups with them week to week? i used to do that with DEF for football and it worked out well. im still getting used to fantasy baseball since its my 3rd year, 1st where its a money league and will be very competitive though
10 team,H2H,5x5
C-Montero
1B-A.Gonzalez
2B-Utley
3B-Longoria
SS-Reyes
1B/3B-Morneau
2b/SS-K.Jonhson
OF-J.Upton,CarGo,Pierre
UTL-Rasmus
DL-B. Anderson
sadlyajetsfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:28 am

If you have injury-prone hitters, having solid bench players to replace them is a good idea. Regardless, 1 or 2 solid bench hitters is always advisable since every team has injuries.

Otherwise, if you have solid SP (i.e. better than you're likely to find on the waiver), you're definitely at an advantage if you plan to rotate SP and having 2-3 of those would be a good use of your bench.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby BritSox » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:36 am

I normally like to carry a fourth outfielder (Or second 1B, if your utl is an outfielder) plus one guy who can cover more than one infield position (or at a pinch, a guy who can play OF and one or other MI position). Any more than that is a waste, as the guy above has alluded.

In your specific case, OCab is wasted because he's third on the SS depth chart. You have Lugo covering second and short, which also allows you to slide Hall to third on Ramirez' days off. Overbay is the guy who's on the bench purely for his bat, so on days when one or more OF are off (a very likely occurrence) he goes to Utl, and Dunn to OF.. It might be worth keeping Lofton around, as you say, you are light on speed. But there's no reason at all to keep OCab there.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby SignGuy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:37 am

I like having a few decent bench guys so that i have more chips for trading over the course of the year. maybe the rookie you drafted late is legit and now he has value to trade for other needs without giving up starting players.
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby willy-t » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:44 am

As above, my main keeper has 9 bench slots, so I use 5 RPs every day (in the 2 'RP' slots and the 3 'P' slots) and have got 8 SPs taking up 6 bench slots, so I have 3 bench hitters, 4th OF, backup IF and best other availabel hitter for UT or 1B.

I never understand why people keep a load of bench hitters.
willy-t
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers