Conspiracy theory: KEVIN BROWN - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Conspiracy theory: KEVIN BROWN

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Conspiracy theory: KEVIN BROWN

Postby BKeller » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:12 pm

Ok, maybe I'm reading too much into this, but does it strike anyone as odd that Kevin Brown pitched 21 starts at home but only 11 on the road? Given how pitcher-friendly LA is, what are the odds that LA was trying throughout 2003 to get Brown pitching at home to help his ERA/WHIP to make him more tradeable? Admittedly, his home and road ERAs were identical (2.40 v. 2.38), but the road teams he played were mostly crappy teams (Det, Ari, Cin, Mil, Mon, Ana, SDG, Fla (early, when everyone thought they stunk) or good teams in pitchers' parks (e.g., SF). The only good team he played on the road outside of the Giants (in pitcher-luscious Pac Bell) was Philly. Coincidence . . . or something more than that?

Given that his ERA in the AL was always substantially higher than in the NL and given where he pitched last year, are the Yanks getting a 4.00 ERA guy rather than a 2.39 guy?
BKeller
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:31 pm

IMO the Yanks are getting a 3.00 ERA guy in Brown
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Re: Conspiracy theory: KEVIN BROWN

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:56 pm

BKeller wrote:Given how pitcher-friendly LA is, what are the odds that LA was trying throughout 2003 to get Brown pitching at home to help his ERA/WHIP to make him more tradeable?

i dont recall hearing anything about brown having his starts moved up or pushed back. they might have been able to rearrange the rotation so the he pitched at home one or two times more than he would have but thats not a significant number. besides, i dont think that anyone would really fall for this trick.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:28 pm

Well, no one would fall for it now that cab Bonifay is out of office.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby L0rdB23 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:19 am

BKeller wrote:Ok, maybe I'm reading too much into this, but does it strike anyone as odd that Kevin Brown pitched 21 starts at home but only 11 on the road? Given how pitcher-friendly LA is, what are the odds that LA was trying throughout 2003 to get Brown pitching at home to help his ERA/WHIP to make him more tradeable? Admittedly, his home and road ERAs were identical (2.40 v. 2.38), but the road teams he played were mostly crappy teams (Det, Ari, Cin, Mil, Mon, Ana, SDG, Fla (early, when everyone thought they stunk) or good teams in pitchers' parks (e.g., SF). The only good team he played on the road outside of the Giants (in pitcher-luscious Pac Bell) was Philly. Coincidence . . . or something more than that?

Given that his ERA in the AL was always substantially higher than in the NL and given where he pitched last year, are the Yanks getting a 4.00 ERA guy rather than a 2.39 guy?

in my opinion goin to the yankees raises everyones eras.. look at mussina.. his era has risen since being a yankee .. when u score as many runs as the yankees do u tend to just throw the ball instead of being a pitcher cuz u have a lead.. brown will have a lot of wins assumin he stays healthy but i doubt his era will be below 3.5
L0rdB23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:26 am

That's an interesting thought but I don't remember Brown's starts getting moved at all last year. Maybe just coincidence, but very interesting to look at it like that. ;-D

I'd say Brown's era will be between 3.00-3.50. Somewhere in that area.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:36 am

L0rdB23 wrote:in my opinion goin to the yankees raises everyones eras.. look at mussina.. his era has risen since being a yankee

It has? Might be news to Mike. Mussina's 1st year in NY, he had a 3.15 era. That was lower then the 5 previous seasons in Baltimore. His NY era is lower then his Baltimore era.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby trevisc » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:50 am

well, if what you are saying is true.. then what better team to get the shaft then the Yankees? Pettite's era was 4.01 and I don't think Brown will be much worse then that. But if they are wanting him to have the same stats in NY as he had in LA they can forget that.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:53 am

The real problem will be getting Brown to start close to 30 games.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Postby Area51's » Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:18 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:The real problem will be getting Brown to start close to 30 games.

Yep....indeed....if he's healthy enough to start 30, he'll be a huge asset....if not...... :-t
If I were playing third base and my mother were rounding third with the run that was going to beat us, I'd trip her. Oh, I'd pick her up and brush her off and say, 'Sorry, Mom,' but nobody beats me.
Leo Durocher, Brooklyn Dodgers Manager
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers