M's agree to multiyear deals with Winn and Franklin - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

M's agree to multiyear deals with Winn and Franklin

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

M's agree to multiyear deals with Winn and Franklin

Postby chinch sacs » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:14 pm

from yahoo

The Seattle Mariners agreed to multiyear contracts Thursday with two key contributors from last season, switch-hitting outfielder Randy Winn and right-hander Ryan Franklin.

Winn received a deal that guarantees him $11 million over three years. Franklin got a two-year contract.

Winn joined the Mariners as compensation when former manager Lou Piniella left with a year on his contract to take over the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Winn hit .295 last season with 11 homers and 75 RBIs.

``Randy is a blue-collar player, kind of an unsung hero, the kind of guy you can't win without,'' manager Bob Melvin said. ``You look up at the end of the season and quietly he's had a real good year.''

Winn, 29, performed well at the plate down the stretch, hitting .330 in the second half -- .350 in September -- and ending the season on a 12-game hitting streak.

``I had a tremendous experience,'' said Winn, who earned a base salary of $3.3 million last season. ``My first choice was to come back.''

After the Mariners decided last weekend not to offer salary arbitration to free agent center fielder Mike Cameron, general manager Bill Bavasi said the team hoped to work a new deal for Winn, who played in left last season.

Melvin plans to move Winn to center while putting free agent acquisition Raul Ibanez in left. Ichiro Suzuki will remain in right.

``I've played the majority of my career at center,'' Winn said. ``The move itself from left to center is not a big deal. I don't think it's going to take me long to get comfortable out there.''

Winn's contract calls for a $3.5 million salary next year and $3.75 million in 2005. The Mariners have a $5 million option for 2006, but if the team declines the option it becomes a player option at $3.75 million. He can earn an additional $125,000 in both 2005 and 2006 if he has 650 plate appearances.

Franklin, who earned $425,000 last season, went 11-13 with a 3.57 ERA, ranking ninth in the AL. He had career highs in wins, innings pitched (212.0), starts (32), complete games (two) and strikeouts (99).

His biggest liability wasn't something Franklin could control. For some reason, the Mariners rarely scored enough runs to win when he pitched. Seattle had two or fewer runs in 11 of his 13 losses.

``I just had some bad luck,'' Franklin said. ``Sure, I should have lost some of them, but some of them I could have won. That would have been 16 or 17 wins. I don't think I have to change anything.''

Franklin, who turns 31 in March, didn't miss a scheduled start all season.

``Ryan is just a workhorse,'' Melvin said. ``He takes the ball every fifth day. He's the one guy on our staff that just didn't get the run support last season or he easily could have won three or four more games.''

Besides bringing back Winn and Franklin, Seattle has added Ibanez from Kansas City and left-handed reliever Eddie Guardado from Minnesota. The Mariners also re-signed right-handed reliever Shigetoshi Hasegawa.

Melvin said the next priorities are improving the left side of the infield and adding a backup infielder who could play in center. The Mariners have talked with free agent shortstop Miguel Tejada, the 2002 AL MVP.

``Things are getting a little more clear,'' Melvin said. ``We know we want another run producer in the middle of the lineup. Whether that happens, we'll see how things play out in the next couple of weeks.''
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikcou » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:16 pm

thats a step in the right direction...
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:48 pm

Seattle is stepping up to the plate. Still could use a bat or two.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:57 pm

Good moves by the M's.... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby L0rdB23 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:27 am

what do u guys think of ryan franklin.. he is a definate in their rotation next year?
L0rdB23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:35 am

L0rdB23 wrote:what do u guys think of ryan franklin.. he is a definate in their rotation next year?

I'd say yes. I don't really see a reason for them not to at least give him a shot to start the season.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers