Time to end one rumor......... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Time to end one rumor.........

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Time to end one rumor.........

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:01 pm

The Giants will not get Vlad:

Giants expect big chill at the winter meetings

By Joe Roderick, CONTRA COSTA TIMES

In recent years, baseball's winter meetings have become like potential dance partners who stand against the wall waiting for the other person to make the first move.

This year could be the same. When the meetings begin Friday in New Orleans, Giants general manager Brian Sabean expects no changes from what has been a rather uneventful dance.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I think it will follow suit, maybe (be) even slower," Sabean said Wednesday in a conference call. "People are playing the waiting game. I don't know how many clubs will be active. They'll have to trade dollar for dollar."

Sabean said the Giants do have the payroll flexibility to add players, whether through free-agent signings or trades. He said the team's primary need is a starting pitcher. However, he said Sunday that shortstop and right field were a "work in progress."

"You know how we do business," Sabean said. "You can't predict what will happen. I'm not going to speculate. We always have irons in the fire, and not just because the winter meetings are coming up. We've done quite a bit so far."

If the Giants make a foray into the free-agent market, don't expect a huge splash.

The Giants inquired about outfielder Gary Sheffield early in the free-agent signing period, but their interest didn't last long.

"We established that he was out of our price range, like (Vladimir) Guerrero and like (Miguel) Tejada," Sabean said. "They're $10 million players."

Speaking of players out of the team's price range, Sabean responded to comments by former Giants shortstop Rich Aurilia, who was upset the team didn't make an effort to re-sign him.

"That's Richie's opinion," Sabean said. "The last time we heard from his agent (Barry Axelrod), he wanted four years and $8 million (per year). I don't think Richie would have signed the kind of deal we just signed other guys to."

On another front, Sabean believes closer Robb Nen, who missed last season with an injury, should be at full health in 2004, and could help a bullpen perhaps weakened by the loss of Joe Nathan and Tim Worrell.

"I'd say it could be one of the better ones in the league if Robbie is healthy," Sabean said. "We have the same cast minus Nathan (and Worrell), but we could be stronger because of Robbie. We'll miss Timmy's contributions, but as bullpens go we have one of the strongest and one of the most experienced."

NOTE: The Montreal Expos say they're close to signing an agreement to move 22 games to San Juan, Puerto Rico, for a second straight season. The games would be played over three homestands, all before the All-Star break, the Expos said. The proposed schedule has the Giants playing there May 21-23.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Updated on Thursday, Dec 11, 2003 6:40 am EST

Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ukjohn » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:46 pm

your "ok ukjohn, you were correct all along" will be accepted now, :-D
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mikcou » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:17 pm

A meeting is planned for discussing the ARod/Manny trade...
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mtarail » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:32 pm

I'll admit it. I'm a Giants fan. It's good to hear from the standpoint of not getting hopes up, but c'mon. Barry won't be around forever and great players like Vlad and Tejada aren't available every year. I've gotta think this would be a good year to get them too, since they're both coming off sub-par years (for them) and there doesn't seem to be much of feeding frenzy (yet) in terms of pursuit and offers by various clubs.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Area51's » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:59 pm

SHEWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!

I did not want to have to see that 1-2 combination....OMG....Walk Barry....sure........Vlad can even hit your pitchout or intentional walk pitches out.....
If I were playing third base and my mother were rounding third with the run that was going to beat us, I'd trip her. Oh, I'd pick her up and brush her off and say, 'Sorry, Mom,' but nobody beats me.
Leo Durocher, Brooklyn Dodgers Manager
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mtarail » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:30 pm

It would've been sweet. Sabean is a fairly smart guy (OK, except that pathetic Ponson deal), so maybe there's still a way to make it happen....The biggest optimist would concede that Barry can't have more than 3-4 years left in him and this current club, w/o Barry would be lucky to win 65 games.
Last edited by mtarail on Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pkarr5000 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:46 pm

are you reading this miguel? :-D
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:28 am

Area51's wrote:Vlad can even hit your pitchout or intentional walk pitches out.....

Lol. :-b Funny, but true. I've seen him hit some very strange pitches. Including one that bounced to the plate. 8-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mtarail » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:08 am

Generally that's called cricket and is played in England and banana republics.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers