Who will be a closer out of these setup men? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who will be a closer out of these setup men?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby PresHabib » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:07 pm

LBJackal wrote:Nathan will start the season as the closer for the Twins; Romero was who they wanted to be their closer in 2004, but after his terrible display last season, they're giving the ball to Nathan in the 9th inning. If you have a look at Nathan's stats from last season, he was very under-rated. His ERA and WHIP were ridiculous in April, July, August, and September. Not bad for a guy that was basically unheard of. With his WHIP of 1.06 I see him as the closer while Romero (1.71 WHIP, 5.00 ERA) is the primary lefty setup man, with Rincon the righty setup man. Maybe Romero can find his old stuff from 2002 when he was arguably the top setup man other than Dotel, but to start the season it will be Nathan as the closer.

I disagree big time on that one...unless my memory serves me wrong, didn't Joe Nathan in '03 allow the highest percentage of inhereited runners to score? If not, he was up there.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who will be a closer out of these setup men?

Postby DieHardCubbie » Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:05 pm

L0rdB23 wrote:farnsworth is too valuable to dusty in the 7 and 8th innings .. he throws gas but has struggled at times and i dont see dusty handing him the closer role especially with the signing of hawkins

Just to comment on this.....The Cubbies tried Farnsworth in the closer role a couple of years ago....didn't work out very well at all....I don't see him getting another shot at it....If JoBo fails then it will be Hawkins spot.... :-)

Nice post L0rdB23..... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: Who will be a closer out of these setup men?

Postby ukjohn » Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:25 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:
L0rdB23 wrote:farnsworth is too valuable to dusty in the 7 and 8th innings .. he throws gas but has struggled at times and i dont see dusty handing him the closer role especially with the signing of hawkins

Just to comment on this.....The Cubbies tried Farnsworth in the closer role a couple of years ago....didn't work out very well at all....I don't see him getting another shot at it....If JoBo fails then it will be Hawkins spot.... :-)

Nice post L0rdB23..... ;-D

that is, even if he is with the Cubs this season, :-D
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:22 pm

do you see Farnsworth being trade bait now they have Hawkins?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:10 am

Anonymous wrote:do you see Farnsworth being trade bait now they have Hawkins?

I don't think so, but I'll bump this for our Cubs expert. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:35 am

Madison wrote:
Anonymous wrote:do you see Farnsworth being trade bait now they have Hawkins?

I don't think so, but I'll bump this for our Cubs expert. :-)

Oooppss....sorry I missed this..... O:-)

Farney has been talked about in trade rumors....but I really don't see anything happening with him....he really is to valuable in a set up role.....he will have his few ruff outings a year....but over all he is solid in the 7th and 8th innings....I really look for him to be in the pen come April...... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers