Who will be a closer out of these setup men? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who will be a closer out of these setup men?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who will be a closer out of these setup men?

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:00 pm

Who will be a closer next year out of these setup men?

LaTroy Hawkins
Kyle Farnsworth
Brendon Donnelly
Fransico Rodriguez
Brad Lidge
Octavio Dotel
Scott Williamson
J.C. Romero
Joe Nathan

any others?
Guest


Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby mikcou » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:02 pm

Dotel will definetly have a chance at closing, williamson will get the job if the sox dont sign foulke, Lidge could get teh job if dotel fails, Donnelly will be closer if Percival is traded.
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2060
Joined: 28 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Red Sox Nation

Re: Who will be a closer out of these setup men?

Postby L0rdB23 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:08 pm

Anonymous wrote:Who will be a closer next year out of these setup men?

LaTroy Hawkins
Kyle Farnsworth
Brendon Donnelly
Fransico Rodriguez
Brad Lidge
Octavio Dotel
Scott Williamson
J.C. Romero
Joe Nathan

any others?


well alot depends on who struggles and what other signings are made but for now:

Hawkins i see closing only if borowski struggles in the first month.. dusty knows borowski isnt a stud and has a short leash on him but he is due the chance to close to start the year after last year

farnsworth is too valuable to dusty in the 7 and 8th innings .. he throws gas but has struggled at times and i dont see dusty handing him the closer role especially with the signing of hawkins

donnelly had an outstanding year and wont close because he has rodriguez waiting for the job in front of him.. if percival gets hurt or is dealt then rodriguez would take over as closer and donnelly would probably set up.. i also dont see donnelly being nearly as good as he was last year

brad lidge and dotel i see both getting quite a few saves.. dotel with be named the primary closer basically due to the fact he is at most times unhittable and he has more grooming then lidge.. i see lidge being a quality closer but in the future. i think hes better off as a setup of dotel

williamson will be closing in boston and i see him doing a fine job .. the only reason he might lose some saves is because they will score so many runs and they wont need to use him as often... plus he is another full year off his surgery so i see him being even better.

romero as of right now i see being the best bet to close in minnesota just because they have noone else.. they lost hawkins and everyday eddy so theres romero .. unless they spend some money and bring in an urbina or a benitez i see romero havin the job until he pitches his way out of it

joe nathan i see being a spot starter middle reliever because he used to be a start and minnesotas starters besides santana arent very reliable for going deep into games and sanatana isnt all the reliable himself.. so hell come out of the pen for 2-3 innings and like i said might spot start..

i hope this helps
L0rdB23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 591
Joined: 19 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Williston Park, NY

Re: Who will be a closer out of these setup men?

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:13 pm

L0rdB23 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Who will be a closer next year out of these setup men?

LaTroy Hawkins
Kyle Farnsworth
Brendon Donnelly
Fransico Rodriguez
Brad Lidge
Octavio Dotel
Scott Williamson
J.C. Romero
Joe Nathan

any others?


well alot depends on who struggles and what other signings are made but for now:

Hawkins i see closing only if borowski struggles in the first month.. dusty knows borowski isnt a stud and has a short leash on him but he is due the chance to close to start the year after last year

farnsworth is too valuable to dusty in the 7 and 8th innings .. he throws gas but has struggled at times and i dont see dusty handing him the closer role especially with the signing of hawkins

donnelly had an outstanding year and wont close because he has rodriguez waiting for the job in front of him.. if percival gets hurt or is dealt then rodriguez would take over as closer and donnelly would probably set up.. i also dont see donnelly being nearly as good as he was last year

brad lidge and dotel i see both getting quite a few saves.. dotel with be named the primary closer basically due to the fact he is at most times unhittable and he has more grooming then lidge.. i see lidge being a quality closer but in the future. i think hes better off as a setup of dotel

williamson will be closing in boston and i see him doing a fine job .. the only reason he might lose some saves is because they will score so many runs and they wont need to use him as often... plus he is another full year off his surgery so i see him being even better.

romero as of right now i see being the best bet to close in minnesota just because they have noone else.. they lost hawkins and everyday eddy so theres romero .. unless they spend some money and bring in an urbina or a benitez i see romero havin the job until he pitches his way out of it

joe nathan i see being a spot starter middle reliever because he used to be a start and minnesotas starters besides santana arent very reliable for going deep into games and sanatana isnt all the reliable himself.. so hell come out of the pen for 2-3 innings and like i said might spot start..

i hope this helps


Well done. ;-D

My only real disagreement is that I think Foulke will end up in Boston making Williamson either a set up man, or trade bait. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: Who will be a closer out of these setup men?

Postby L0rdB23 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:18 pm

Madison wrote:
L0rdB23 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Who will be a closer next year out of these setup men?

LaTroy Hawkins
Kyle Farnsworth
Brendon Donnelly
Fransico Rodriguez
Brad Lidge
Octavio Dotel
Scott Williamson
J.C. Romero
Joe Nathan

any others?


well alot depends on who struggles and what other signings are made but for now:

Hawkins i see closing only if borowski struggles in the first month.. dusty knows borowski isnt a stud and has a short leash on him but he is due the chance to close to start the year after last year

farnsworth is too valuable to dusty in the 7 and 8th innings .. he throws gas but has struggled at times and i dont see dusty handing him the closer role especially with the signing of hawkins

donnelly had an outstanding year and wont close because he has rodriguez waiting for the job in front of him.. if percival gets hurt or is dealt then rodriguez would take over as closer and donnelly would probably set up.. i also dont see donnelly being nearly as good as he was last year

brad lidge and dotel i see both getting quite a few saves.. dotel with be named the primary closer basically due to the fact he is at most times unhittable and he has more grooming then lidge.. i see lidge being a quality closer but in the future. i think hes better off as a setup of dotel

williamson will be closing in boston and i see him doing a fine job .. the only reason he might lose some saves is because they will score so many runs and they wont need to use him as often... plus he is another full year off his surgery so i see him being even better.

romero as of right now i see being the best bet to close in minnesota just because they have noone else.. they lost hawkins and everyday eddy so theres romero .. unless they spend some money and bring in an urbina or a benitez i see romero havin the job until he pitches his way out of it

joe nathan i see being a spot starter middle reliever because he used to be a start and minnesotas starters besides santana arent very reliable for going deep into games and sanatana isnt all the reliable himself.. so hell come out of the pen for 2-3 innings and like i said might spot start..

i hope this helps


Well done. ;-D

My only real disagreement is that I think Foulke will end up in Boston making Williamson either a set up man, or trade bait. ;-)


thats true.. i totally forgot about that whole foulke talk.. so yeah if he signs i see them dealin williamson for some offense especially if they do the arod-manny and nomar deals
Last edited by L0rdB23 on Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L0rdB23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 591
Joined: 19 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Williston Park, NY

Postby PresHabib » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:19 pm

mikcou wrote:Dotel will definetly have a chance at closing, williamson will get the job if the sox dont sign foulke, Lidge could get teh job if dotel fails, Donnelly will be closer if Percival is traded.


Pretty much word for word what I was gonna say. Well said ;-D
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1118
Joined: 20 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fenway Park

Postby LBJackal » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:29 pm

Nathan will start the season as the closer for the Twins; Romero was who they wanted to be their closer in 2004, but after his terrible display last season, they're giving the ball to Nathan in the 9th inning. If you have a look at Nathan's stats from last season, he was very under-rated. His ERA and WHIP were ridiculous in April, July, August, and September. Not bad for a guy that was basically unheard of. With his WHIP of 1.06 I see him as the closer while Romero (1.71 WHIP, 5.00 ERA) is the primary lefty setup man, with Rincon the righty setup man. Maybe Romero can find his old stuff from 2002 when he was arguably the top setup man other than Dotel, but to start the season it will be Nathan as the closer.
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby ukjohn » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:45 pm

I've been telling you guys...Crain will close in Minnesota
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1283
Joined: 19 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Northern Kentucky

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:42 pm

LBJackal wrote:Nathan will start the season as the closer for the Twins; Romero was who they wanted to be their closer in 2004, but after his terrible display last season, they're giving the ball to Nathan in the 9th inning. If you have a look at Nathan's stats from last season, he was very under-rated. His ERA and WHIP were ridiculous in April, July, August, and September. Not bad for a guy that was basically unheard of. With his WHIP of 1.06 I see him as the closer while Romero (1.71 WHIP, 5.00 ERA) is the primary lefty setup man, with Rincon the righty setup man. Maybe Romero can find his old stuff from 2002 when he was arguably the top setup man other than Dotel, but to start the season it will be Nathan as the closer.


Interesting suggestion. :-? Have you seen an article on this? I'd like to take a look at it. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby mtarail » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:43 pm

I agree with Habib. Dotel will definitely close in Houston and Donnelly will close in Anaheim if Percival is dealt. When Percival was injured last year it was donnelly, not K-rod, who stepped into the closer spot for a few weeks.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2433
Joined: 27 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on the 3B line stands at TEP

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apz and 18 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Jul. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cleveland at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Kansas City at Chi White Sox
(2:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Milwaukee
(2:10 pm)
Washington at Colorado
(3:10 pm)
Detroit at Arizona
(3:40 pm)
NY Mets at Seattle
(3:40 pm)
LA Dodgers at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
San Francisco at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Texas at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Tampa Bay at St. Louis
(7:15 pm)
San Diego at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Baltimore at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(10:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact