It's official: Pettitte to Astros - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

It's official: Pettitte to Astros

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

It's official: Pettitte to Astros

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:45 am

NEW YORK -- Andy Pettitte decided to pitch at home, agreeing Thursday to a three-year contract with the Houston Astros and bolt the New York Yankees.

Pettitte made the decision after weighing a new offer from the Yankees on Wednesday night, a baseball source said on the condition of anonymity.

The Yankees' offer averaged about $13 million a year, while the Astros' proposal averaged about $13 million.

Houston planned to announce the deal at a news conference Thursday. Pettitte's decision to sign with Houston was first reported by Newsday on its Web site.

Pettitte, 31, is 149-78 with the Yankees, who signed him in 1991. If he had stayed in New York, he would have had the chance to surpass Whitey Ford's 236 victories and become the winningest left-hander in Yankees history.

With the Astros, he joins a team trying to rebuild and win at the same time. Houston dealt closer Billy Wagner to Philadelphia last month in a cost-cutting move. Pettitte would combine with Wade Miller and Roy Oswalt to form a powerful front three in the rotation.

While Houston has had many strong teams since joining the National League for the 1962 season, the Astros have never made it to the World Series.

Without Pettitte, the Yankees are left with a rotation that includes Mike Mussina, Jose Contreras and Javier Vazquez, acquired from Montreal last week. Candidates for the back end of the rotation include Jeff Weaver, Jon Leiber and David Wells, who is close to agreement on a minor league contract.

New York also could delve into the free-agent market, where Kevin Millwood is available. Or the Yankees could attempt to trade for a starter -- New York held some talks with Los Angeles about a deal for Kevin Brown, but the Dodgers wanted a major hitter in return.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: It's official: Pettitte to Astros

Postby nsulham » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:57 am

Transmogrifier wrote:
NEW YORK -- Andy Pettitte decided to pitch at home, agreeing Thursday to a three-year contract with the Houston Astros and bolt the New York Yankees.

Pettitte made the decision after weighing a new offer from the Yankees on Wednesday night, a baseball source said on the condition of anonymity.

The Yankees' offer averaged about $13 million a year, while the Astros' proposal averaged about $13 million.

Houston planned to announce the deal at a news conference Thursday. Pettitte's decision to sign with Houston was first reported by Newsday on its Web site.

Pettitte, 31, is 149-78 with the Yankees, who signed him in 1991. If he had stayed in New York, he would have had the chance to surpass Whitey Ford's 236 victories and become the winningest left-hander in Yankees history.

With the Astros, he joins a team trying to rebuild and win at the same time. Houston dealt closer Billy Wagner to Philadelphia last month in a cost-cutting move. Pettitte would combine with Wade Miller and Roy Oswalt to form a powerful front three in the rotation.

While Houston has had many strong teams since joining the National League for the 1962 season, the Astros have never made it to the World Series.

Without Pettitte, the Yankees are left with a rotation that includes Mike Mussina, Jose Contreras and Javier Vazquez, acquired from Montreal last week. Candidates for the back end of the rotation include Jeff Weaver, Jon Leiber and David Wells, who is close to agreement on a minor league contract.

New York also could delve into the free-agent market, where Kevin Millwood is available. Or the Yankees could attempt to trade for a starter -- New York held some talks with Los Angeles about a deal for Kevin Brown, but the Dodgers wanted a major hitter in return.

Am I missing something here??? :-?
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:59 am

Yeah, I think the Astros offered 10 million a year, but I may be wrong. I think it's a typo.

And, remember everyone: There is no state income tax in Texas, so the deals are a lot closer. Add in his family considerations, and it probably was an easy decision.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby L0rdB23 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:09 am

damn i was just gonna post this.. guess u beat me to it trans..lol .. lets go 'stros!
L0rdB23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:40 am

Well at least it's finally official. Amazing too. Houston was crying poverty a month or two ago. "We have to trade Wagner or Hidalgo to open up salary :~( ". So they trade Wagner and sign Pettitte? [sarcasm]Yep, they sure seem like they need some salary room to me.[/sarcasm]
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby FREAKZILLA » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:46 am

How pissed do you think Steinbrenner is now? Losing Pettitte to Houston's lower offer. Probably helps Sheffield's bargaining power...Steinbrenner doesn't want to lose him too.
FREAKZILLA
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:01 pm

FREAKZILLA wrote:How pissed do you think Steinbrenner is now? Losing Pettitte to Houston's lower offer. Probably helps Sheffield's bargaining power...Steinbrenner doesn't want to lose him too.

I don't think so. He is probably pissed at Sheff. What gets me is what are Sheff's other options? There aren't many.

On another note.......Goodbye, Andy. I will miss all that you gave us and wish you well in Houston. :~(

I will also continue to defend you to Hootie. He is just an angry numbers-cruncher who is mad that his team did nothing with that great regular season of a few years ago. :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby FREAKZILLA » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:08 pm

Lofunzo, he didn't get Schilling, Little Matsui or keep Pettitte and you're telling me the Boss isn't pissed. I don't buy that. You know the Boss always wants the front - page publicity but not for losing bidding wars or headlines to the Mets or RedSox. I am not bashing the Yankees, just stating Steinbrenner must be pissed and there's no way he's going to lose the next player he wants...no matter how much it takes.
FREAKZILLA
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Area51's » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:20 pm

Again, I am amazed Houston pulled this off. I can't remember a free agent that NYY wanted to keep leaving in a LONG time.

Home town advantage or not, Drayton McClane pulled off a big one here.
If I were playing third base and my mother were rounding third with the run that was going to beat us, I'd trip her. Oh, I'd pick her up and brush her off and say, 'Sorry, Mom,' but nobody beats me.
Leo Durocher, Brooklyn Dodgers Manager
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:34 pm

FREAKZILLA wrote:Lofunzo, he didn't get Schilling, Little Matsui or keep Pettitte and you're telling me the Boss isn't pissed. I don't buy that. You know the Boss always wants the front - page publicity but not for losing bidding wars or headlines to the Mets or RedSox. I am not bashing the Yankees, just stating Steinbrenner must be pissed and there's no way he's going to lose the next player he wants...no matter how much it takes.

I hear ya. I just think a little differently. He didn't really want Schilling for that price (a lot steeper than what Boston gave), Matsui wasn't necessary when they decided to keep Soriano at 2nd base ( :-P ), and he has never really felt good about Pettitte. I don't know who he was looking at on the mound this offseason but it wasn't Pettitte. He would have seen what he could do. Beckett won Game 6. He didn't lose it.

I repeat my opinion that, in case there was any doubt, the Yankees will have another manager for 2005 (Mattingly) and a new pitching coach.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers